Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband is at the vet with Clover--we think she has a broken hind leg! Cricket & Clover were playing and running around, and Cricket accidentally stepped on Clover's hing leg as she was doing some sort of a play-lunge. Clover screamed in pain, and now she cannot walk on her hind leg. She has it drawn up against her, and when I put her down on the ground she just falls over. She cannot put weight on it at all! I am so upset! My poor poor baby!! Think some good thoughts for Clover everyone! I am praying it's not broken, but I think it is the way she was acting. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Sending healing vibes your way, let us know what the vet says!! Hope it isn't broken, *fingers crossed* that she was being dramatic - one can hope right? Poor sweetie!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Poor clover! I hope all comes back well.

·
Registered
646 Posts
ah poor little thing. Mandy and Casey have had a few smash ups and I swear sometimes itis to get the other dog in trouble.
Mandy would be screaming until I picked her up and snuggled then after a bit was all fine and could see her smirking at him like ha ha you got in trouble.

Good luck to you all

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
from what I know it seems a broken leg is dragged rather then held up, so fingers crossed it's not broken!!!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Any updates, RC?? How is Clover doing?? Keeping her (and you) in my prayers!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you so much everyone for your well wishes and good thoughts!! The vet that was on call last night does not seem to think her leg is broken. She did not do an xray, but felt her legs very thoroughly, and nothing seemed out of place. She is still holding her leg up, and not putting any weight on it. The vet wrapped her leg up tight, and we are going to watch her closely in the next 24-48 hours to see if she seems to start putting some weight on it. If not, back to the vet for an xray. (I really don't know why they didn't just do one last night. I'm a bit annoyed by that really--I guess because there were no outward signs of a break) She's hopping around quite well on her 3 legs, and seems to be in good spirits, just not very active or energetic. She seems to just want comfort and cuddling, which she is getting plenty of! Poor baby is having a hard time squatting and arching to go to the bathroom! Last night I had to hold her back leg for her so she could go #2! :crying: I'm hoping she starts to put some weight on her leg today, so at least we know there is a bit of an improvement. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I would take her back for an xray. Grace broke her leg exactly as you described during play with another dog who jumped on her (she was 9 weeks old). It was a spiral break. If her leg is broken, you really don't want her weight on it without it being splinted. I will keep you both in my prayers, but again I think diagnostics are so very important so you know exactly what you are dealing with. Keep us posted...

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Wishing your poor girl a quick recovery and hoping it is, indeed, just a sprain. I'm surprised they didn't take an x-ray. At our vet's, they give you the option of an x-ray or not, saying what they think is wrong but asking if you would like an x-ray. Sending good vibes your way!

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Praying it's not broken. However, if it is, keep your chin up. My miniature poodle broke her leg, it was splinted and healed nicely. Could never tell it had been broken. Let us hear.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
That is so strange that the vet didn't take x-rays. :( I would take her back, give them a piece of my mind and make sure they only charge for x-ray and not another visit. I think that it's pretty negligent of them.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Wow im also surprised they didnt want to x-ray it right then and there! It kind of sounds like a blown cruciate or a hip popping out of place. As someone else stated a broken limb would be limp and drag on the ground. It could be badly sprained or bruised like someone else said. I would go back tomorrow and get an x-ray done just to be sure its not broken, especially since she is having problems going potty. Thats just sad, its a good thing your there to help her.
I hope she heals up quickly!

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
It could be fractured and not actually "broken". Either way i too am suprised the vet didnt take an x-ray to be sure. Not all broken legs drag on the ground.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts