Poodle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was lucky to get an appointment this morning before we left to visit my kids for thanksgiving.

Vet prescribed Mometamax salve. Once a day for 7 days. I hope this takes care of it.

I’ve never had an ear problem before with my poodles. What should I be aware of?

Vet said I had done a good job keeping it clean of hair etc. and didn’t say I needed to do anything different. We caught it early.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
We took Normie to the vet yesterday for the same thing. He'd seen the groomer on a Monday then started attacking his right ear and grunting madly on Friday evening. The vet thinks that he got water in his ear during his bath.

We're flushing his ears daily for 3 days with Mal-A-Ket+Triz. And using it after his monthly baths.
The vet compared it to swimmer's ear - something I'm familiar with.

Norm's two and this is his second bout in the same ear. So I'm glad we can be proactive.

Hope Theo's feeling better.

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
412 Posts
Evelyn's had a mild one for a bit now, but just got it diagnosed this weekend and the vet put a long lasting treatment in because he hates having stuff put in there. She said he likely picked it up from scratching his ear after being outside, but I think it's his diet since he always seems to have one. He also has super thick hairy ear canals so that doesn't help, it's hard to keep them cleared out.

Poodles and other floppy eared dogs are just more prone to them though.

·
Premium Member
24,755 Posts
Aww that is too bad. Javelin has had off and on ear problems. He grows tons of ear hair and as a result air circulation ends gets slowed down. I clip the under sides of his ear leather and all of the sides of his head where his ear flaps will cover to make more room for air to get in around his ears. I also do frequent zymox cleaning and keep on top of plucking.

Reactions: Skylar

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry I didn’t respond earlier, we had a long drive then we were busy with our kids.

We took Normie to the vet yesterday for the same thing. He'd seen the groomer on a Monday then started attacking his right ear and grunting madly on Friday evening. The vet thinks that he got water in his ear during his bath.

We're flushing his ears daily for 3 days with Mal-A-Ket+Triz. And using it after his monthly baths.
we’ll misery loves company but I’m sorry that both our dogs are suffering. The vet took a scrape from his ear to diagnose the yeast infection. She said to continue with Zymox when I bath him. I don’t know what swimmers ear is…. I’ll have to Google it.

Evelyn's had a mild one for a bit now, but just got it diagnosed this weekend and the vet put a long lasting treatment in because he hates having stuff put in there. She said he likely picked it up from scratching his ear after being outside, but I think it's his diet since he always seems to have one. He also has super thick hairy ear canals so that doesn't help, it's hard to keep them cleared out.

Poodles and other floppy eared dogs are just more prone to them though.
My vet’s dog has floppy ears and ear infections too. Poor Evelyn, he has one too! I should have asked about that long acting treatment, although maybe it’s not for yeast? I’m thankful his ears aren’t sore …. He’s fine with me touch them and applying ointment. It must be a lot worse when their ears are painful and they are scared to have them touched or treated with medication.

Zoe had a yeast infection when she was very young. I treated it with the liquid the vet provided and it has never recurred. I hope the same holds true for you.
Thanks, I’m hopeful this is our only infection, just like Zoe.

Aww that is too bad. Javelin has had off and on ear problems. He grows tons of ear hair and as a result air circulation ends gets slowed down. I clip the under sides of his ear leather and all of the sides of his head where his ear flaps will cover to make more room for air to get in around his ears. I also do frequent zymox cleaning and keep on top of plucking.
I remember you had a lot of trouble with Javelin’s ear infection. I have to make a point of keeping a closer eye on Theo’s ears, he’s definitely more hairy.

Sorry about that, chances are it will be a « one of ».
Thanks Dechi, I do hope it’s a “one of” too.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
412 Posts
My vet’s dog has floppy ears and ear infections too. Poor Evelyn, he has one too! I should have asked about that long acting treatment, although maybe it’s not for yeast? I’m thankful his ears aren’t sore …. He’s fine with me touch them and applying ointment. It must be a lot worse when their ears are painful and they are scared to have them touched or treated with medication.
Evelyn's vet diagnosed it as yeast. She gave the option of me doing the once a week treatment, I have no idea why anyone would pick that given the option of just having the vet do one treatment that lasts 4 weeks. My last vet never gave me the option of the long lasting one so there might be a difference. Evelyn's ear infection doesn't really seem to be hurting him, I only knew he had one because of the yeasty smell. He still loves having his ears rubbed and doesn't really mind me plucking them, he just hates having liquid put in them. Can't really blame him I remember from my own ear infections as a kid it feels super weird.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tekno used to get frequent ear infections until I started plucking and using Lisa Leady’s miracle elixir. He hasn’t had an infection since, I love it! https://groomersmart.com/product/lisa-leadys-k-9-miracle-ear-elixir/
Catherine has posted the recipe for this ear drops. Theo is apricot and I’m afraid of the staining his hair from the gentian violet, or my clothes. I know I’m not very good instilling ear drops, I spill everywhere

Evelyn's vet diagnosed it as yeast. She gave the option of me doing the once a week treatment, I have no idea why anyone would pick that given the option of just having the vet do one treatment that lasts 4 weeks. My last vet never gave me the option of the long lasting one so there might be a difference. Evelyn's ear infection doesn't really seem to be hurting him, I only knew he had one because of the yeasty smell. He still loves having his ears rubbed and doesn't really mind me plucking them, he just hates having liquid put in them. Can't really blame him I remember from my own ear infections as a kid it feels super weird.
Misteline, I wish my vet had used the single treatment that lasts 4 weeks instead of a treatment I instill daily for a week. If it returns I will ask for the single treatment. I remember Catherine’s Javelin also received it.

Misha got a bad yeast infection when little. If it is a recurring issue I suggest weekly doses of zymox to keep infection away.
I had been doing weekly Zymox as part of our normal routine. Raindrops did you do anything different to get rid of it?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Catherine has posted the recipe for this ear drops. Theo is apricot and I’m afraid of the staining his hair from the gentian violet, or my clothes. I know I’m not very good instilling ear drops, I spill everywhere

Misteline, I wish my vet had used the single treatment that lasts 4 weeks instead of a treatment I instill daily for a week. If it returns I will ask for the single treatment. I remember Catherine’s Javelin also received it.

I had been doing weekly Zymox as part of our normal routine. Raindrops did you do anything different to get rid of it?
The vet gave Claro to clear it up in the bad ear. I'm surprised he's getting infections while using zymox though. It usually does a great job keeping them at bay.

·
Registered
9,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The vet gave Claro to clear it up in the bad ear. I'm surprised he's getting infections while using zymox though. It usually does a great job keeping them at bay.
Claro sounds similar to the medication my vet prescribed. I hope we clear it up and Zymox keeps away.

He has stopped scratching his ear after the treatment at the vets.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
How are all the ears?

Normie's better. It took us a time or two to realize that if my husband held a chicken treat in front of Norm's nose, the ear wash suddenly got much easier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts