Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my puppy is almost 8 months old and his hair is starting to matt around his hips! I can brush him everyday and it seems to continue to matt! What should I do? His hair is also starting to be less fluffy. Our breeder told us he would have a coat change but I didn’t think it would be this early. Any tips on how to get the matts out?

·
Registered
697 Posts
It is most likely the coat change, that is about when Evie had hers. Are you line brushing his coat? I will warn you, the coat change is a hassle to try to deal with when they have long hair. His hair will turn curly and harsh once the coat change is completed. About the mats, firstly do you have a high velocity dryer? Here is the options I can think of to deal with the already existing mats, if you have a detangler such as The Stuff, or Cowboy Magic. There are lots of different brands of them. I would work it into the mats, then split them into little chunks then brush them out. If you do not have any detangler I would use some of his conditioner or honestly some of yours if it is the natural stuff, and work it into the coat. Then brush as best you can and if you have a high velocity dryer I would zap him with it, as I find it helps to break up the mats after a bath while he is still wet. Some people here use if I remember correctly corn starch. I personally have never used it, but others say it works quite well. If they are causing him discomfort or you just cannot get them off I would just clip him short for around a month and a half.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thank you!! I’m definitely gonna have to try some conditioner! I do not have a velocity dryer this is our first poodle!!

·
Registered
697 Posts
Okay, just split the mats as best you can. I did not have a high velocity dryer for my first poodle either.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Sounds like coat change. The easiest way to deal with it is to have your poodle clipped close for a few months until the coat has changed. Once coat change is done, maintenance will be so much easier. Every poodle goes through this stage , it is a rite of passage. :eek:

More important than brushing is using a metal comb to comb through to the skin so you catch mats early.

I like Cowboy Magic but cornstarch is a good alternative if you don’t want to use oil. If the knot is bad, cut it out. Break the knot up into tiny sections and work from the furthest area back towards the skin.

·
Registered
349 Posts
the easiest thing would be to clip him down, but if not, I found when I started putting diva in oil her coat was a lot easier to manage.
Corn flour/starch is good, the coat must be dry, rub it into the matt and it will often seperate and brush out easier, if that fails I use a dematting comb. Obviously if that fails cuts have to be made 🙈

·
Registered
313 Posts
I use this stuff:
Pet head detangling spray
It works wonders on the knots that show up on Fluffy’s knees, and the mats that form under his armpits(?). I can slide a comb through afterwards with little effort. Be forewarned, however, it smells very strong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use this stuff:
Pet head detangling spray
It works wonders on the knots that show up on Fluffy’s knees, and the mats that form under his armpits(?). I can slide a comb through afterwards with little effort. Be forewarned, however, it smells very strong.
Yes Murphy has the Knots under his armpits?😂 I’m definitely going to try some of these suggestions

1 - 8 of 8 Posts