Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all can a shift in weather conditions affect a dogs behavior?

We had our pair out for a walk this afternoon. Now normally Zack isn't the best dog to take to the park but lately we have been taking him by himself and he has been doing wonderfully. (We take Sasha our Terrier seperate lately too)

Now most recently we have been walking the 2 of them together in a nearby neighborhood and around our apartments no trouble. Infact I have never had any trouble EVER our of Sasha in her whole life when going on walks.

And Sasha loves the park. Anyways Zack did wonderfully, he had a few moments of behavior that had to be corrected (or well attention had to be quickly focused elsewhere) when it came to some aggressive behavior toward 2 labradors and an Airedale, which he didn't start. (this was on leash on the walking trail and the labrador lunged at him and he reacted. Then every other larger dog he saw, he was very defensive as soon as they came into sight, but we are still working on that)

But other than that he did wonderfully, but Sasha on the other hand, my gosh she has never had me so embarrassed in my life. She was barking at every noise and squirrel, she seemed real nervous and anxious (something she never is) she kept pulling to get to any squirrel or bird or duck she saw, and she never pulls. I thought she was going to break her harness, and she kept making very loud whining noises the whole time. And its like for this one trip all her training ever went out the window. Infact she saw a small dog and actually bit Zacks leg trying to get to it.

That is Not my Sasha at all.

Now the last few weeks its been in the teens here, and it snowed. But the last several days its been in the 50s and today it was in the 60s so we have been out at the parks and doing a lot of outside activity, but today she just acted terrible. Also we have what appears to be a storm front moving in rather quickly....

Could she have sensed a change in the weather and that is why she acted this way?

I'm just at a loss as to why my very well trained dog (who graduated at the top of her class, actually ahead of her class), who never acts out or does anything wrong. Always follows all her commands. Could act so terribly?

She is still a little ansy now that we are back home but she is more back to normal. She gets the proper exercise every day she needs.

Zack is acting really good, but for some reason I can't get him out from behind the house.

So can weather affect a dogs behavior?

And why would a dogs behavior change so drastically since yesterdays walk?

She NEVER acts like this

sorry for my rant but I am quite frustrated

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We must live near each other, our weather sounds similar to yours.

My mom's old greyhound is very sensitive to changes in the weather. he has storm anxiety, but gets upset even if the storm isn't in our vicinity, also, when it snowed a few weeks ago, he was very depressed. So it is possible!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes it can sometimes get em all excited or acting crazy. Make a mental note and store it away and see how she does next time.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its just weird because we have her out everyday and I work on her training every day, even though she is 2. I know there are experiencing or about to experience a lot of change, but wow. That was so embarassing. (Ofcourse you could literally see the clouds rolling in and the wind picking up (and storms make me nervous too and she is real sensitive to my emotions and picks up on that)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts