Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't even begin to explain how irritating as a groomer and a dog lover it is to hear this from people either talking about their dogs or bringing these dogs in to get groomed. Normally it's like.. a once or twice a year groom and these dogs are FILTHY and disgusting! They're also so excited to be having actual human contact that they're really hyper and all over the place.

Why even own a down if you're just going to keep it in your backyard all day? I was reading somewhere where a question asked if it was better to have a dog in a city or in a suburban home. Answer? City. The dogs got a lot more of the human attention they crave from all the walks where as dogs with a large back yard are kept outside, with the owners believing that the dogs preferred 'the great outdoors.'

There's a lab in my neighborhood, and a lot of other dogs, that're already kept outside. This lab never. stops. barking. And she's black, summers in Utah are HOT! We're a semiarid state and over 4000 feet above sea level, so hot summers and winters where it's not uncommon to be covered overnight in 4 feet of snow.

I think it's absolutely cruel and unnecessary to leave your dog outside all the time. I don't think these people should own animals. Dogs are social animals, they need and deserve our love, not the backs of our houses.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I with you, not only is keeping a pet dog outside 24/7 cruel, but it doesn't make sense. Why pay money for food, grooming (even if it's really sparse) and vet bills, just so you can have a pathetic looking lawn ornament than annoys your neighbors. (I live next to two non-stop barking labs myself.) If you aren't interested in having a member of the family, buy a statue of a dog.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I agree its cruel to leave you dogs outside with no shelter. If they are provided shelter then I am ok with people having their dogs outside.

I am sure its a law with ac that a dog needs to have shelter from the weather. If I where you i would find out what are the laws in your state and report your neighbor.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am sure its a law with ac that a dog needs to have shelter from the weather. If I where you i would find out what are the laws in your state and report your neighbor.
Oh I have reported neighbors before. The neighbor that's directly behind my house where our backyards connect left their dog tied up when it was raining sleet and was below freezing. She had tangled herself around the bushes and was obviously miserable. They have a completely fenced off yard so I reached through the fence and unhooked her so she wouldn't strangle herself.

The next day she was tied up again, but the owners didn't even bother to untangle her chain, so they deliberately tied her up with only 2 feet of roaming while it was snowing with no shelter, no food, and no water. I called animal control.

Animal control talked to them.

Next day, she was tied up again without chain being untangle with a bowl of water. More snow. Called again.

Couple days later she was tied up away from the bushes to the shed with the door open. =/ Still out in the cold, but I guess at least she could escape the snow into the shed. It was funny, there was so much snow that it buried the fence and she came into our yard once last winter and had a ball playing with my dog.

Want to know the kicker? I got screamed at by my mother for 'calling the police on neighbors.' She believes it's no ones business what people do to their animals. I think otherwise.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I agree its cruel to leave you dogs outside with no shelter. If they are provided shelter then I am ok with people having their dogs outside.

I agree, outside w/shelter is fine in my opinion.

This post is pretty interesting because if you go back 50 years, maybe even only 30 people would be like :wacko: your dog sleeps in your room :wacko: :wacko:

·
Registered
3,145 Posts

This post is pretty interesting because if you go back 50 years, maybe even only 30 people would be like :wacko: your dog sleeps in your room :wacko: :wacko:
LOL I know.

My bf's dad is like that he does not think animal should be in the house, where his dad grew up animals where not looked at as pets as most americans do.

both of my bf's dogs are outside dogs. they are only let in if its so cold outside and my bf only lets them in his room. They also have the garage set up for them to sleep in there with their dog houses. In the winter a heater is used in there to keep them warm. But where we live its not like it will snow anytime soon lol

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I guess it would depend on the breed and how social it was, but I just don't see the benefit in having an outdoor dog. (For the owner or the pet.) Is it just so you can say you have a dog? I'm perfectly fine w/ working dogs being outdoors, they are probably happier doing their job than they would ever be in the house. It just seems like an outdoor pet dog would be bored and more likely to be neglected. I'm very against chaining/tethering a dog for extended periods of time. I have a cable, but my dogs are only on it when I'm outside w/ them, in the unfenced, front yard.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Harry spends a lot of time outside. I wouldn't say he's an "outside" dog but he's bored in the house and then annoying at times. He enjoys the outdoors. If he gets into mud he ends up outside more than not. I can't bathe him everyday or we'd dry his skin out but I do rinse him off. He's not annoying but he will bark at times when people walk by the house but not to the point of someone calling the authorities on us. I guess some of these sporting breed dogs just enjoy the outdoor life because that's what they are bred to do but I think they do enjoy being with their family too and we try to round it out for them. I hate to say it but my new puppy will be inside only except potty trips. Harry grew up the way he is so that's what he knows and enjoys. Jasper will be a show dog and I'll have to worry about his coat so all he will know is short trips outside. I think as long as they get to socialize with each other at times it will be fine.

I wanted to also add that we have a covered tiled patio that is cooler than mud (you can see it in the avatar pic) so they do have a place to cool off and we provide a little pool for him to play in sometimes.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts

Or in your bed?:wacko:

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Don't get me wrong, Harley spends a good part of the day outside, weather permitting, but he spends evenings w/ me and sleeps in my room at night. I would never let him sleep in the bed though. He's too big and he likes to roll in the dirt.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Don't get me wrong, Harley spends a good part of the day outside, weather permitting, but he spends evenings w/ me and sleeps in my room at night. I would never let him sleep in the bed though. He's too big and he likes to roll in the dirt.
Harry spends nights in the house. If he's too dirty he's in the garage but most of the time he's in our room on the floor.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Saffy sleeps on my bed
I have woken up on the floor a couple of times, with Saffy where I should be lol

Saffy Lives to be outside. It's getting to the point where we actually have to monitor her outside time until we fence it completely off, or otherwise she will run of into the bush possum hunting, and come back either when we call her or when she wants lol

Needless to say, sometimes I have a very dirty white spoo

·
Registered
875 Posts
This may sound really freakishly wierd, but during the cooler months (NC gets a "rainy season" instead of a real winter, but it snows like once a year for about an hour) The borzoi sleep, and mainly live outside. When I first got Anja, I kept her indoors except to potty. ( i got her in sept. ) When she was about 6 months old, I asked the breeder why she looked "naked" compared to her siblings. The breeder (who I respect immensely) asked if I kept her inside all the time, when I told her I did she told me that was why, her pups sleep outside once they have all their vaccines, and are medium sized (about 30-40 lbs) I still wasn't sold on this until I got Anja's brother and sister ( I think they were about 7-8 months old) then I really saw it.

now they sleep outdoors, with dog houses and a covered run. They get plenty of food, fresh water, excersise, and attention ( although if you know a borzoi, you know there isn't a such thing as enough attention lol)

They go on outings, to the store, to the park occasionally, and sometimes on walks around the neighborhood.

they get baths as needed, although I have been putting THAT off for a little bit.

they get to play with the poodles, and loaf on the couch.

they are happier ( I think) sleeping outside, they always wake up in the middle of the night to potty or get a drink if they are indoors.

I don't think that ANY dog should be solely kept outside, or chained to a tree, or a doghouse. just like I don't believe in not feeding your dog, grooming it once a year, or beating the snot out of them.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Don't get me wrong but it is not cruel to have an outside dog, especially here in the South! As long as the dog has a shelter and a place to keep cool and warm, and is getting plenty of care and affection, then it's fine imo. :)

·
Registered
861 Posts
I would think it's easy to start to ignore your dog if it's outside all of the time.

Though I grew up with a total scaredy cat dog who barely went out to eat and use the grass. ;) I dated a guy once who's dog was NEVER allowed in the house, and the kids were teens and never in the yard. I was sad for the dog. :(

It's been fun, for me, to watch Bella run and play on her own outside. I've never had a dog do that. I try to spy on her b/c if she' sees me then it's all over and she's whining & yelping at the door.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Don't get me wrong but it is not cruel to have an outside dog, especially here in the South! As long as the dog has a shelter and a place to keep cool and warm, and is getting plenty of care and affection, then it's fine imo. :)
IA I am totally fine with it as long as the owner is taking care of the dog. Some people just don't want their dog in the house they should not be deemed bad owners because of it.

I also do not think chaining your dog up is cruel as long as you take them off the chain and take care of them I don't see what is the big deal. ( this is why i have beef with peta and all the humane societies don't get me started on them and pit bulls !!!!:rolffleyes: ). I had my GSD's on chains for a few months and I took them off and played with them daily. Some people need a chain so the dogs will not escape. Now if the dog is on the chain all day and night and no human contact this is a different story along with keeping you dog in the yard with no shelter.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My dogs all four, Only go out in the garden to Potty, when we eat our dinner or when we are out there, we dont put them out to play because thats what walks are for, they get about 4, 30 minute walks a day, and they all sleep on beds, Suki & Kisses on Mine, Bonny & Nelly on my mums, i would never dream of letting my dog live outside, and i dont think anyone in my neighbourhood does either :)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
My dogs all four, Only go out in the garden to Potty, when we eat our dinner or when we are out there, we dont put them out to play because thats what walks are for, they get about 4, 30 minute walks a day, and they all sleep on beds, Suki & Kisses on Mine, Bonny & Nelly on my mums, i would never dream of letting my dog live outside, and i dont think anyone in my neighbourhood does either :)
4 30 minute walks a day is impossible for someone with my lifestyle. I agree with roxy. Unless a dog is abused I don't think it's anyone's business how someone raises their dog. It's just like children. People get involved where there's no need and that's when things get out of hand.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Both my dogs spend heaps of time out in the yard in the warmer months, generally with a couple of tennis balls, and a bone to chew or something! Often the door is open and they come and go though. ;)

I have to say though, it's not just the "outside" dogs that get neglected. These guys have their two doxies live inside (omg, how can they stand the smell!??)

"take it off as short as you possibly can so they won't need done. I think I might get them done every 6 months tho now, what do you think?"

"Oh, but we love him still!!"

*gag*

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Both my dogs spend heaps of time out in the yard in the warmer months, generally with a couple of tennis balls, and a bone to chew or something! Often the door is open and they come and go though. ;)

I have to say though, it's not just the "outside" dogs that get neglected. These guys have their two doxies live inside (omg, how can they stand the smell!??)

"take it off as short as you possibly can so they won't need done. I think I might get them done every 6 months tho now, what do you think?"

"Oh, but we love him still!!"

*gag*
Oh those poor dogs! Look at how overweight and nasty they look. I personally cannot stand dog smell so that would never happen in my house.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts