Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #1
:)

Last week the DOT added miniature horses to the list of service animals that can fly in any cabin! (link)

Bella and Sachii are sooo excited! So am I. Maybe I can push my chair all the way back in reclining position, and use the back of a mini-horse as a foot rest. My poodles say they hope for pony rides up and down the aisle.

Way to go, America! Let's everybody fly the friendly skies!

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #3
Another light-hearted look

Got stress? Need to fly? Have an emotional support companion? No prob!
You're in good company.

Well, unless your companion is a peacock...

But money talks for hawks!

Maybe cuteness does too:

When pigs fly, they text in the sky!

Wait a minute! I thought this was United, not Canine Airlines!
Why oh why did I wear my black pants and forget my lint roller?

Premium Member
Thanks for these real life possible, hilarious pictures. You better have splurged for noise cancelling headphones if there鈥檚 a peacock onboard. Too bad, the pony/livestock size leg room of bulkhead seating isn鈥檛 even available for purses, for safety (?) reasons. I wouldn鈥檛 mind a pig as pictured, just because of the irony if it were a short flight:)

Premium Member
The pictures are hilarious! I wonder what people would have thought of, when I had rats as emotional support animals, and had taken the on the plane. Even our property mgmt company said 鈥測ou can鈥檛 have rats as pets鈥: a legal battle ensued, and I won hands downs. But I would never have taken them on a plane: people are not well versed enough about rats to expose them to one of their biggest fears.

Mini horses? REALLY??? Is there. Size limit? Or a weight limit? Do people have to buy extra tickets? Do they put diapers on them? Do small children want to ride it up and down the aisle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
OMG! That's hilarious!!! Makes you wonder...what next?:laugh::laugh2::lol:

:ridinghorse::spider::poop::sheep:

Reactions: Vita

Registered
Mini horses? REALLY??? Is there. Size limit? Or a weight limit? Do people have to buy extra tickets? Do they put diapers on them? Do small children want to ride it up and down the aisle?
Mini horses have been used as guides for the blind for a long time. They have phenomenal memories and live much longer than dogs. They are housebroken and have no problems living in houses or being out in public without diapers. Presumably they are treated the same as any service animal, so children would not be allowed to pet (or ride!). As far as size and weight, really many of them are no bigger than dogs; the one in the pic is pretty big for a mini horse. It isn't what I would want, but works well for some people.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter #9
Mini-horses are housebroken? Well I learned something new!

However, the airlines clearly need to redesign the restrooms to better accommodate their size and need for privacy. This way don't need to leave the door open. :)

A comprehensive study concluded that when elephants are seated in the Dumbo Section, they find elimination quite convenient.

Registered
Miniature horses are legally a legitimate service animal unlike pigs, peacocks, rats, snakes etc. when they meet certain qualifications and are trained to perform tasks similar to dogs. I鈥檝e never seen a service miniature horse.

I can control myself not to run up to service dogs and pet them or gush about how cute they are, but I don鈥檛 know if I鈥檇 have the same control about keeping my distance from a working service horse, the novelty of it is so huge.

https://usserviceanimals.org/blog/miniature-horses-as-service-animals

Reactions: reraven123

Registered
I can control myself not to run up to service dogs and pet them or gush about how cute they are, but I don鈥檛 know if I鈥檇 have the same control about keeping my distance from a working service horse, the novelty of it is so huge.
This is very true! However, I don't think it is quite the problem with horses as it is with dogs. Dogs need to understand that they can't be social while they are working. Many dogs want to approach strangers and love to be petted and paid attention to, and they have to understand that this is not allowed while they are working. Horses are different, and are not likely to approach a stranger and want to be petted, or be distracted by people who want to pet them.

Truly there are advantages to using horses as service animals. They are much less distractable, much less reactive, and they live a lot longer. They are also sturdier for providing mobility assistance. The downside is it would be much harder to take them places, just because people don't believe that they are not fakes, and really are working service animals. And people don't think they are or can be housebroken. This is something a person would have to take into account when making the decision to get one. Like I said, not what I would want.

guide+horse+4.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts