Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ruby is kinda constipated...remember she ripped up a peice of memory foam on Sunday, so I am a tad worried. She IS pooping but she seems to be straining a bit,and seems a bit dryer then what is normal for her. she is eating, she is playing, she is happy. She doesn't seem in pain, not sleeping any more, and right this second is currently running around teh house with my other dog ....So I am guessing its a minor bout of constipation....I know that pumkin will work but do I really want to give that to her at night? how long til it works? ( I don't want to be up with her all night long if I don't have to), do I really need to give her anything at this point maybe it will resolve over night on its own? How much would I give a 6lb dog without causing the runs, or the pain associated with stomach cramps?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Ruby is kinda constipated...remember she ripped up a peice of memory foam on Sunday, so I am a tad worried. She IS pooping but she seems to be straining a bit,and seems a bit dryer then what is normal for her. she is eating, she is playing, she is happy. She doesn't seem in pain, not sleeping any more, and right this second is currently running around teh house with my other dog ....So I am guessing its a minor bout of constipation....I know that pumkin will work but do I really want to give that to her at night? how long til it works? ( I don't want to be up with her all night long if I don't have to), do I really need to give her anything at this point maybe it will resolve over night on its own? How much would I give a 6lb dog without causing the runs, or the pain associated with stomach cramps?
Sometimes just adding some mineral oil to the food will help coat the intestine lining or the food so she can pass easier. The mineral oil shouldn't be used daily but it can be used on occassions.

I thought pumpkin is used to firm up stool ??

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sometimes just adding some mineral oil to the food will help coat the intestine lining or the food so she can pass easier. The mineral oil shouldn't be used daily but it can be used on occassions.

I thought pumpkin is used to firm up stool ??
The vet told me long time ago that pumpkin can be used for both to firm but also to loosen...not sure how that works but apperently it does.

In any case, posting the issue here must have been enough, because shortly after I was done, she had a good poop. Must have been running with Quincy that got things moving. The first part still looked dry and hard but the 2nd part was typical....

I know I sound like a freak for all the stressing and worrying I do...Quincy has NEVER had any issues in his entire 5 years old life, he hasn't ever even vomited. So he has been REALLY healthy his whole life. I had a chihuahua years ago that her only problem was that she broke her radius and ulna at 8 weeks old, and if she didn't eat soon enough in teh morning she would throw up ...So I am kinda new to a dog that already has issues and she has only been here 6 or 7 weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts