Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldnt think what else to call this thread. :)

Ok, so i am still researching breeders. A client of mine has a 2yo female standard (she actually got a poodle b/c of me). I remembered from her puppy visit being impressed with the papers she brought with on the parents. Well she was in yesterday, so i asked who her breeder is. Seems like a really nice breeder. Tests, doesnt breed alot, very involved with the local parent club, works her dogs, etc. I am planning on calling and talking to her this weekend. Her website doesnt work well, and pictures wont show so i havnt seen her poodles.

My main questions are about the dog i know. I LOVE her look!! She is a very nice looking, Solid black, petite but not tiny or wimpy, just NICE girl!! I want a female like her!
Her temperament is what plants a Small doubt seed in my mind though. She is quite shy and doesnt even seem that "attached" to her mom. She obviously loves her mom, and favors her mom when she comes in the vet.

She is not an outwordly affectionate poodle it seems. Her mom and her are just starting to "get along". This girl is smart as a whip! She is actually smarter then her owner (as nice as she is). The owner made a comment last time that she was in that she used to think the dog was dumb as she wouldnt listen to her (just smart enough to know she doesnt have to).

I KNOW alot of it has to do with how much exposure they have as puppies and how they are raised. I dont know if this girl could be different or not. She doesnt cower in a corner or submissivly urinate when she comes in.
I am looking for a poodle that is affectionate, smart, and that i can take everywhere without any problems. This girl wouldnt be it.

I am NOT crossing this breeder off my list, and will probably visit them sometime to see their dogs in person. I understand "nature/nuture" as far as temperaments go. I dont really have a "question" here. What are everyones thoughts though. She seems like a very good breeder, but i "dont like" this girl from her (i actually really like the dog, but the temperament she shows i woudnt want).

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I would try and find out who else has a puppy related to this dog and ask their owners what their dogs are like. It could just be the dog, I know with my girl before I got her she had some...harsh...treatment but we have over come quite a bit. I have met/talked with other people who have siblings to my dog and they are all happy and very outgoing. So in my case it was nurture over nature.

Anyway, I would look into it more. Good luck with it and let us know!

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Weird that I found this. I would say that it totally could be just the dog's personality. It was in my case. He was exactly like that. He's not all that into humans. He loves other dogs but humans he can take them or leave them. He was the type that if you called him to you he came running and loving. If you didn't he stayed where he was and enjoyed doing his own thing without you. I just think that's him because others in the litter weren't necessarily like that.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Harley_chik, I've always made the assumption that female dogs and cats were less friendly than males. I based this on our family chihuahua, who was female and very snippy and not very outgoing.

Then one day, my landlord asked me if I would take in an abandoned cat whose owner had left her behind. I said yes before finding out any details, so here I was with my first female cat. Turns out, she was a real sweetheart. Very gentle, very social, loved people, and once she got settled in, she always wanted to be wherever I was.

She really changed my perception of females and I realized that our chihuahua's problems were probably more the result of the way she was raised (we didn't know a lot about caring for tiny dogs and allowed our young cousins to more or less traumatize her--there are lots of things I would do differently now, as an adult who knows better).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts