Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were supposed to have our post surg follow up next week, but due to circumstances I bumped it up to tomorrow. What I thought was a hernia isn't as the bump is totally gone, so muct have been some swelling for the spay itself. We will also get that tooth evaluated again, as it seems tobe following the same path that the baby tooth did. She has a small hole in her top gums from the tooth resting there, I do not want that with this new tooth, it isn't quite high enough yet but I can see it happeneing. I suspect the verdict will be to pull it, which is fine. The only reason I am hesitant is I am uneasy about them putting her under again. I am going to see if they cannot just sedate her but not put her out totally and pull it that way. Is it safe to be put under 2x within weeks of each other? Can they give her a drug strong enough to sedate her without knocking her out or killing her? I am unsure of the best way to go and would like advice from other people, so I can go in tomorrow with a plan if the vet says it needs to be pulled.....

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I am sorry to hear you have having such problems with your puppy. I have had no experience with sedation so I can't offer you help but I do hope all goes well for you.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I am a vet tech - there is no way to just sedate her for an extraction. You want her totally out - otherwise it would be very painful to extract.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a vet tech - there is no way to just sedate her for an extraction. You want her totally out - otherwise it would be very painful to extract.
I don't want her in pain obviously, how safe will it be to put her under again? She was spayed less than 2 weeks ago, how long should I wait? The adult tooth is still small enough that it isn't meeting her top gums yet, but it looks like it will soon :( Do yo have any suggestions as to how the tooth can be moved with yanking it then?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I dont think having her put under again would be cause for concern. My little guy (human son) was put under several times when he was a new born with in a short time. He did just fine so to me, I suspect your pup will be fine as well.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts