Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Something odd happened on our walk just now! I was out in park area well used by dog walkers, Eddy had had his run around with his dog friends that he meets up with most days and we were walking back to the car via a nice paved walk, again used by many dog walkers. Eddy off lead sniffing around but very close to me and my mum, when this rather cross man starts to shout to me to put my dog on his lead, ok so no problem I put Eddy on his lead and this guy walks past us with two snarling very very big Rotties he walks past muttering something about how his dogs are so scared of poodles as they were attacked by one, I say oh that was sad poor things, he says crossly it cos poodles are German racist. He walks on about 10 steps and lets his dogs off their leads!! after telling me to put poor little Eddy on his lead because his dogs are scared of him. My 76 year old mum turned to me and just looked with amazement and questioned if that is what you call responsible dog ownership.!! Is it just me surly if you know your dogs are dog aggressive for any reason you keep them on a lead, or only let them off in an area with no dogs!! I have absolutely no problem with Rotties, or any other type of dog for that matter and I have stayed with my Aunt many times when young, whom had a number of very big guard dogs and never had a problem with them.
Jade cat

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Maybe Some Older People:)

I have had a couple interesting run ins myself with both breeds I have. And sometime they will tell you as he did - How to handle your dog and give advise thats total crap! I know I had it happen, we stopped going toa a particular park because of this! Which we are rethinking going back to this weekend. I am tired of being run off by people because they are rude and ignorant. Ok off my soap box!!!

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Poodles ARE German... :wacko:
That was my first thought when I read that! hahaha!

I agree with you, if your dogs are dog aggressive in anyway, they should NOT be offleash in an area frequented by dogs. That is just so ignorant and dangerous!

Personally, I do not let my dogs offleash on public trails that are not designated offleash areas just out of courtesy to people who may be afraid of dogs or in the event someone has an aggressive dog.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hehe.. Maybe it's just the smart-ass in me, but I'd purposfully return to the dogpark on pure purpose to get on that guy's nerves each and every time.

Each time we'd pass him I'd give a little more 'information' to fuel his parnoid-self. Things like..

"Oh yeah, my dog is a well trained attack dog." (walk on past)

The next time...

"He is ex-military and seen heavy combat" (walk on past)

Next...

"He has a secret attack word and we can't seem to figure it out..."

Next...

"It's a special word given that triggers him to attack ROTTIES only..."

Next...

"He was trainned to pin a rottie down, then HUMP the dog till it feels so humiliated it won't even want to be see in public again...."

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Oh no I never knew that poodles were German racist. My husband is German so I guess he should now be afraid of our 3 big scary poodles lol!! I can just see his face!!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can relate to the frustration of people letting their dogs off leash if the area is not designated for that (although it seems like it's common where you were, especially considering the complainer then let his dogs off leash), but this guy sounds crazy.. Still, I'm not surprised.

Having been on the other end of it, I'd like to point out how stupid people can be with their dogs off leash (NOT you, clearly your dog was well controlled in a familiar area). In the past three weeks I had two off-leash dogs approach me and my leashed dog(s) in two separate towns. The first was a large mixed breed who aggressively charged toward me and my dogs across a busy road, almost getting hit by two cars (luckily they were able to stop in time). The dog was wearing no collar and was three houses down from where he lived. Fortunately a young child (maybe 6 years old?) came out of the house and got the dog to come home. Considering my mother and I picked our dogs up and had my nephew in a stroller we were lucky that the dog was called away before he made it past the second lane of traffic to where we were. My little mixed breed is dog aggressive when approached on leash and even if a dog is friendly, she will instigate. However, this dog was clearly showing aggression.
The following day I was walking my dog when a golden retriever crossed the street while her ignorant owners chatted outside. This dog was very friendly, however my dog is not and will bite a dog who approaches her head on when she's on leash. I tried holding back the golden so she wouldn't get hurt, hoping her owners would call her back. Again I had to pick my 40lb dog up and carry her down the street because the owners apparently see no harm in their dog crossing streets and approaching strange dogs and people. I then heard them joke about the dog "running the streets" when she finally returned to them.
In the last few months I've also had the neighbor's loose lab running off leash in my yard and the other neighbor's dog-aggressive yellow lab charge my dog who was on leash. Fortunately I had someone with me to hold my dog while I intercepted the lab as the owner ran over telling me that she doesn't know why the dog is so aggressive with dogs she doesn't know. And yesterday I had to leave my work to catch a cockapoo who our client saw in the main road on her drive over. I stupidly returned the dog to the owner (having known which house the severely matted, neglected dog lived in) and he could not imagine why the dog would have left the back yard he lives in.

It's ridiculous how many people are irresponsible with their dogs' safety for such a wide variety of reasons.. I don't like having to call Animal Control more than once a month..

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it is nice and sunny today so we will be popping out later to the a fore mentioned area and see what happens as it is a weekend and loads more dogs around due to nice'ish weather. The pic shows the area in question, it is a local government designated off leash area. Funnily enough our local gov. has some very strictest dog walking rules in the country and heavy fine for those that do not abide by them. (maybe that reflects that folks in this area may have less common sense than other areas of the country!! ha ha oh I am always looking on the bright side!!)

Jade cat

Attachments

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Today, look up German profanity online, and if you see that man again, explain that your dog's trigger is whatever word you find...

Ah, that's okay... I was at the store the other day with PERRY, of all the dogs to have, and this little girl wanted to pet him (which... he's great with little kids)... and the kid's mother said, "Oh no, sweety, that's a poodle. They're mean!" At this point in people's stupid comments, I usually start calling whatever dog I'm with of the four "Killer" or "Cujo".

uhhhhhhhhhhhhh... sure. He's so vicious, he's wag his tail until you die of cuteness. People these days. Blah.

·
Registered
52 Posts
and the kid's mother said, "Oh no, sweety, that's a poodle. They're mean!" At this point in people's stupid comments, I usually start calling whatever dog I'm with of the four "Killer" or "Cujo".
I find this really odd because I just heard this from someone for the first time recently and also another who said that Greyhounds have a bad reputation for aggression.. Having worked with both breeds in kennel, vet, & grooming situations I would think I'd have at least heard it more often if it were a common misconception.
Personally I hate breed generalizations for the most part, but there are some breeds that I'm not a huge fan of.. typically those are dogs who are reserved and attach to one person and may be a little testy with strangers. Of course people who don't properly socialize their dogs (especially certain breeds who really need that from day one) only contribute to that. But I don't see why great, typical family dogs (poodles, am.staffs/pitbull terriers) are instilling such fear in people. Okay.. at least pits probably have the misfortune of being the most mistreated breed in the US and every idiot who wants to seem tough brings one home... but POODLES... really? What is scary about a poodle?

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I find this really odd because I just heard this from someone for the first time recently and also another who said that Greyhounds have a bad reputation for aggression..
With our grey, we hear this all the time... and are happy to tell people that is wrong. Like ANY breed, you do sometimes have your testy dogs that aren't okay with little kids. But again, like ANY breed, you have a lot of dogs that are great with kids and anyone they meet.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Oh - many people think that poodles are mean breed :smow: I HAVE NO IDEA where THAT one is coming from :doh:

I am used by now for people to think of them as a fro-fro dogs - but MEAN - really LMAO ???!!!

I think that possibly many people think that anything "curly" is a poodle and had possibly encountered some poodle mixes that were high-wired dogs :rolffleyes: or they met poorly bred ones : (((, that had bad temperament *sigh.

It is really sad - one of the most intuitive and gentle breeds that is at the same time athletic if perceived as "mean and fro-fro" : (((

I think we need some serious PR campaign organized ASAP LOL

1 - 20 of 24 Posts