Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About three times in the last two weeks, Merlin has started lifting his right front paw in the air and walking on the other three legs. For a few seconds only, maybe 4-5 steps. It has me worried. He doesn’t jump off the couch, he has stairs and uses them most of the time. I don’t have stairs in the house that he uses except one step to go outside.

When I got him at 16 months, he was still at the breeder’s because her grandson had startled him and his foot got caught in the X-pen. He broke his leg and had to wear a cast and she couldn’t sell him. It happened when he was about 2-3 months old.

I’m wondering if it could be arthritis in the part of the leg that broke ? Does anyone have any idea what it could be ?

I managed to get him an appointment right after Beckie in 2 weeks but in the meantime I’m trying to get infos.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
It could be, but I'd think he'd be doing that longer and more often if so. I'm sure you've done a thorough search of his leg and paw to look for anything unusual.

I wouldn't think this is the issue for Merlin since it's been three times over two weeks but my girls would sometimes get a broken acorn hull just the right size stuck around a toe pad which would cause them to do what you described. They didn't fall off on their own usually. We learned to recognize that behavior and sure enough, another acorn hull.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Poor Merlin. I don't have any suggestions, but I'm glad to hear you were able to make an appointment for him. Fingers crossed that it's not too serious.

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
Have you checked his nails? I have seen something similar occasionally when a nail is torn or catching.

Reactions: Dechi, Vita and Liz

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't think this is the issue for Merlin since it's been three times over two weeks but my girls would sometimes get a broken acorn hull just the right size stuck around a toe pad which would cause them to do what you described.
A splinter?

If you squeeze each toe and the pad, does he cringe or whine in pain?
I’ve looked at his paw with a flash light last night but couldn’t see anything particular. I didn’t try pinching though. I’ll try that today.

Have you checked his nails? I have seen something similar occasionally when a nail is torn or catching.
I do his nails every 8-10 days and I haven’t seen anything last time. I’ll double check just in case.

·
Premium Member
6,629 Posts
Merlin could have a soft tissue injury, a visit to vet will help sort it out.
Earlier this year Pia got hurt, thought was her leg but she was wobbly and had trouble walking, we believe she hurt her neck hard to tell without an MRI but treated her with steroids and rest Pia recovered

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Weird! Maybe he had a bruise or something. Glad he's good now!
That’s what I figured. Or maybe some dried grass stuck somewhere (I looked hard but couldn’t find anything). He’s definitely going if he does it again, even just once.

Beckie is going to cost me lots of money with her allergy problems so I have to be careful with money and avoid unnecessary visits, which I tend to do a few times a year because of my anxiety.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I once thought Gracie was seriously injured and it turned out she had the tiniest piece of dried poop stuck in her bum hair. Good grief!

I sincerely hope Merlin's limp was similarly inconsequential.
Ha Ha Ha !

I once took Merlin to the vet the same day because I thought he had a cancerous cyst and it was his nipple... That’s embarrassing, I’m sure they’re still talking about it, lol !

·
Registered
12,595 Posts
I sympathise - I feared my vet would think I had Munchausen by Proxy I am there so often. Convincing myself Sophy had gone into shock after a tiny wasp sting was probably the most extreme - turned out she was simply reflecting my anxiety, and we were in an escalating cycle of mutual panic, which was quite a helpful thing to discover. But Poppy's illness has convinced me that safe really is better than sorry - if you know your dog well you know when things are not right with them, no matter how subtle the signs. And I long ago decided it was worth the price of a consultation not to lie awake all night eaten up by anxiety - it is certainly cheaper than a therapist!

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I sympathise - I feared my vet would think I had Munchausen by Proxy I am there so often. Convincing myself Sophy had gone into shock after a tiny wasp sting was probably the most extreme - turned out she was simply reflecting my anxiety, and we were in an escalating cycle of mutual panic, which was quite a helpful thing to discover. But Poppy's illness has convinced me that safe really is better than sorry - if you know your dog well you know when things are not right with them, no matter how subtle the signs. And I long ago decided it was worth the price of a consultation not to lie awake all night eaten up by anxiety - it is certainly cheaper than a therapist!
That’s funny, lol ! I am right with you; my anxiety wouldn’t let me be if I didn’t act upon my instincts to go to the vet. So I go... But still pay the therapist, so no money saved for me, ha ha ha !

·
Registered
369 Posts
My favorite story is still the lovely lady who brought in her 9 month old small dog, worried that he had cancerous tumors. I asked her to show them to me... And she pointed out his testicles.
She had thought his testicles "were coming and going", which I explained to her was the bulbus glands (on either side of the os penis).
She told me she was so relieved that she didn't care we might laugh at her in the back after she left.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts