Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
So something odd has been happening over the past week or so. Mochi, who aside from a slight incontinence issue she's had since she was a puppy, and which causes her to dribble sometimes when she's resting/sleeping, has never had any other pee/poo issue. She never went #2 in the house, even as a puppy, and still is not having any issues with holding it until outside. She is about 5 1/2 years old now.

For the last week or at least few days, I've noticed when we're out back in the yard Mochi appears to have a small poo crowning as she walks around. That would usually be a clue that she's about to slow and squat to actually poo. But now, she seems completely unaware that a poo is occurring. She keeps walking around, investigating smells and her sister and the poo just drops out. Once or twice she was startled when she felt it fall. But more often she doesn't even notice it happen. Once, she started to go back into the house with a poo half expelled. It's always been a single small nugget. I am concerned because this is something I've never heard of and something she never did until now. Even more odd, she doesn't need to expel more poo during the same outing most times. So it doesn't seem as if it was an advance guard of a poo onslaught or anything. She knows the "go potty" command and I use it to encourage her to try more, but she apparently doesn't feel the need.

When she does need to go, she has no problems and produces a regular amount of poo and it looks normal.

I'm baffled and a little concerned this is a symptom of something but I can't imagine what.馃槙

Registered
Hmm that is very strange. I wonder if she could have general weak muscles in that area that cause both issues. I'd bring it up with the vet for sure.

Registered
Very intriguing. Since she seems to have poor muscles (dripping urine), maybe it鈥檚 the same problem becoming more generalized ?

It鈥檚 probably nothing but I would want to have it checked out.

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
Is she showing any other hind end issues: abnormal gait, unusual wear or hair loss on her hind feet, trouble getting up?
No, not yet anyway. My husband also suggested I look for these issues. I'm keeping an eye on her for now but can't make a vet appt. until I know when hubby is getting discharged from the hospital as I won't have a lot of notice to go get him. 馃槱

Super Moderator
It seems unlikely given the age of your girl, but my mini mix was startled by her poops as she began showing signs of cognitive decline.

If that were the case, though, you'd think it would be happening inside, as well. It does seem more like a muscle thing, since I imagine well housebroken dogs are more relaxed "back there" while outside.

Registered
I would definitely see the vet but it doesn鈥檛 appear to be an emergency.

I hope your husband is well.

Reactions: BrooklynBonnie
1 - 7 of 7 Posts