Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else had their poodle try to help out when you were sick? I thought it would be a sweet thread to exchange stories on it.

My husband Tom is sick and Betty Jo has appointed herself chief nurse, comforter and cuddler. She immediately went over to him and gave kisses and is now hanging out with him in bed. (She usually follows me around) I've seen a number of my dogs do this over the years and its so sweet. They try so hard to make you feel better.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Ocsi is sooo awesome at picking stuff up!
If someone slides a flier under our door Ocsi brings it to me at my desk. If I want to give something to my SO but don't want to toss it across the room I can give it to Ocsi and he'll carry it over to him. Also, if I have a paper I want to throw away, I can ball it up and shoot for the trash can- if I miss Ocsi goes, picks it up and brings it back to me to try again! He thinks balls of paper are the best thing ever!

When I'm sick he is really good about staying by my side as if to say "I know I can't feed you chicken soup or rub your back, but I want you to know I'm here for you." Poodles are so awesome!

My little sister's poodle was raised to be a therapy dog for her. Goldie was sleeping in bed with people since she was old enough to not sleep with her litter mates. She was a very special gift to my little sister after coming home from the hospital and fighting cancer. Goldie was the best nurse in the whole world- she spent every moment possible with my little sister and played so gentle with her. Goldie is the reason for my love of the breed, :hug: her breeder had her line for at least 3 generations. It was amazing, I think I've mentioned it on here before. Goldie came from at least 5 generations of black dogs- she and her twin sister were the only two apricots ever. The significance of course is that my sister named her before the pups were even born! I defiantly think Goldie was a heavenly gift. She's getting older now (about 13 years old) but she's still such a care taker of her people.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Awsome thread Trillium....Grace has amazed my husband and I several times. My husband brought the 2 footed kids into our home and I brought the 4 footed ones!! We have identical twin boys now 21 years old. They have struggled much in their young lives (adopted at 8 months by my Husband and his former wife). The oldest twin stayed with us for about 5 months before going into the Navy a month ago. He has the softest spirit about him. One day, he was sitting in a chair with his head in his hands, just really hurting inside....Grace watched him for the longest time and suddenly got down from where she was sitting and ever so gently nudged her way up in his lap and began licking his face so very tenderly. We would watch her do similar things like this with him while he was here with us. It was as if she knew that he needed loving.....and in a way that we could not give him, but she could. We call her our amazing Grace!!!

Thanks for sharing your story S&S....aren't we so very blessed to have them?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Absolutely they are such wonderful dogs.

I have neck problems thanks to a few too many car accidents. When my neck goes out I am very dizzy (fortunately chiropractor can put it back into place). My first spoo Rusty would hear that tone to my voice and immediately stay near me so that he could help me around the house. He was wonderful

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Matrix is very in tune with peoples feelings. He becomes a little cuddle monster and is extra careful not to take up the whole bed :p He is also there to finish whatever food we can't finish. He's such a good nurse :)

I haven't been sick yet with Mitch, so we'll just have to wait and see how he fulfills his nursely duties.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts