Poodle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MH says now I have had a Birthday it means I am nearly grown up and am not a puppy any more. I don't feel any different, though, so perhaps she is wrong. I have learned lots of things recently, like how to hold still while she gets rid of mats and letting her put toothpaste on my teeth with her finger and waiting to have my lead put on and taken off and what parties are and loads of other stuff. Sophy says I know most of the really important dog things so now I can concentrate on learning all the different ways to make humans give you treats and do other nice stuff, but just for now I think my brain is full up and needs a rest, and my legs are bored and need more fun! There should be more walks, even if it is raining...

Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
Humans are silly, but I don't like the wet 馃槙, sissy Pia does. I cry when Momo comes across a tangle but I am a big tough dog who will be 5 years old in a couple weeks.
Tips, do not train your hooman to put food up and away mine up a latch on the bin where all the good bits go, thanks to sissy... she tattles on me. Don't they understand it tastes like more,.
Make sure you train your human well

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This afternoon Sophy vanished into the hedge and came out with a rabbit leg! She swapsied it for a piece of chicken then went back and got another bit. I went with her but all the best bits had gone, although after she'd done another swapsie she hunted round and found what was left of the head. She said it didn't taste very nice so the chicken was better - rabbit is really only nice when you catch it yourself. There aren't many rabbits around these days - Sophy says there used to be lots and lots but now we hardly ever see them - but if I am very good she will teach me how to catch them by waiting outside their holes. She says some dogs chase them, but you have to be able to run very, very fast to catch them before they dive into their holes, so waiting patiently for them to come out is better, the way Tilly-cat does. Sophy knows lots about very interesting things - much more than MH does, I think. But MH is better at cooking and driving the car and things like that, so I am glad I have both of them to look after me.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to go for a walk but MH says we need to wait a bit until it stops raining and Poppy is nearly bursting so she can get some of her pee. What is it with humans and pees and poos? It sometimes feels as if they never think about anything else. And that poo last night wasn't on the floor - it was on a proper pad I found in the cloakroom just when I needed it. Even MH admitted that.

I'm going to try the plaintive stare, then I shall climb onto her lap, then I shall say I want to poo... I need a walk!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Today we went to the exciting side of the river and had a lovely long walk. MH said Very Firmly that any dog that got themselves stuck would have to get themselves unstuck, and when I suggested to Sophy that we explore the very interesting place where she got stuck last time MH said NO! and called us back for chicken. But we found other places that were not so steep and we both went down and I had a drink and a paddle and Sophy had a drink and we didn't get stuck so it wasn't as exciting as last time but MH was much happier. And there was a nice dog who played with me, and Sophy did lots of running and playing with me too, and MH was very pleased with me for coming every time I was called, even when I wanted to go on playing with the nice spaniel, and she gave us lots of chicken for being good so it was a really nice walk. I did try to persuade Sophy down the exciting bit on the way back but MH said NO! again so we didn't...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today there is lots of water falling out of the sky and MH says it is a great shame because there was going to be a party outside with lots of lovely food and people like we had a while ago and the big outside room was there already when we went out this morning and I went to see but it was all empty and flappy and soggy. and no sign of a party at all. I don't know why humans don't just turn the water off like they do in the bathroom but Sophy says they never do, no matter how often you ask them too. So MH is going to bake some more treats for us and we are going to play rainy day games, whatever they are. She doesn't want to go to the party if it is indoors in case there are nasty bugs, and we dogs wouldn't be allowed indoors anyway because it is George-the-cat's house and we have to bark at him for making faces at us, though not as much as we used to because MH always seems to find something interesting to do just as we see him. I think it would be a good rainy day game to go to his house and explore and chase him up the stairs and play hide and seek and eat party food but MH says NO! - she can be very boring, sometimes...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yesterday I explored where the party was and I found a wonderful treasure - a lovely big chicken drumstick bone with lots of meat still on it. MH wanted me to swapsie it but I thought it was much better than anything she had, and I managed to scrunch quite a lot of it before she took it away and gave me some chicken in exchange. She said chicken bones are dangerous and can give you a very bad tummy ache but that was a whole day ago and I don't have any tummy ache at all, so I 'spect she's wrong.

Today we are going to have an extra good walk while it is still nice and cool and this afternoon we have to stay home for a washing-machine-man, which sounds quite interesting. Lots of stuff from the cloakroom is out in the hall taking up all the space so we have to squeeze round it, and Poppy tries not to look at it because it makes her all uncomfy inside when the furniture and stuff is not where it is meant to be. But chicken makes her feel better about everything these days, and neither she nor Sophy heard the bangs this morning from people shooting at rabbits, so MH says there are some compensations to getting old if it means you worry less and can't hear stuff that used to scare you. But I think moving the furniture round is quite exciting and I don't mind bangs so I prefer being young and able to bounce!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It is very wet again today but we still went down by the river for a walk. Sophy didn't want to get out of the car; she said it was going to rain and there were monsters in the river, and she was quite right - it did rain and there were monsters! MH says Sophy is always right, but we needed to go for a walk even if we got wet, so she put Sophy's lead on to make her feel safe until we were past the monsters and then we ran and played in the rain and I thought it was lovely even though Sophy said it wasn't. I wanted to stay and watch what the men were doing with the monsters under the bridge and maybe help them dig, and I didn't want my lead put back on to go home but MH said Wait! and found an extra biscuit and somehow I let her do it before I remembered about playing keep away.

MH says these monsters are mending the damage the river did after the last lot of monsters rearranged it. Those are the ones Sophy remembers - she says they came right up on the path and were huge. I think they sound very exciting - I wish we had one at home. I am very good at digging, but just think what brilliant holes I could make with a monster to help!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why are old people so snoozy? MH is drinking coffee and doing boring stuff, Sophy is asleep and doesn't want to play, Poppy is actually snoring and Tilly is busy washing her paws and getting ready to sleep too. And it is a lovely day and 8am and we could be out running across the fields and meeting dogs and people and digging holes and doing loads of things...

[Freddy is so good - he found a piece of cardboard to shred and settled down with it, but I think I really need to get the day on the go and take him for a really good run. We only had short walks yesterday as I had my cataract check up (all well, next op mid September) so he has energy to burn, unlike us oldies! fjm]

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had a lovely day yesterday. When we went to the river in the morning there was a man whose whole job seemed to be to tell the monsters not to come on the path while we walked by - they were very well trained I think because when he held up his hand and said Wait! the monster did, just as we do for MH. I wonder what monsters get for treats? We met nice dogs to run and play with on both our walks, and there was chicken for walk treats, then in the evening when MH was cooking she dropped a green bean and a whole kale stem, and I had the bean to eat and the stem to chew - you can make lots and lots of bits out of one stem. MH says it's just as well she has kept her huge and ancient shop Vax vacuum cleaner that can eat anything (I don't like it because I suspect it could even eat Freddies if it tried).

This morning the monsters were asleep when we got to the river so MH let us off our leads as soon as we were on the path and we explored the big heap of rocks and earth they had made and I peed on it and Poppy pood on it, so we made it even bigger. And I sniffed the monsters' wheels which were very interesting. Just after we got past the men in yellow jackets and hats came with a truck and woke the big grabby monster up and I started to run back to see what they were doing but MH called Freddy Come! and she had chicken so I did and she said I was very good indeed. And on the way back I let her put my lead on before we got near the monsters, which is also being Good, and I didn't pull much on the way back to the car even though we had to walk very slowly because of Poppy, so that is three Goods and I think I can be just a tiny bit Not Good for a bit, once I have had a snooze.

Registered
I had a lovely day yesterday. When we went to the river in the morning there was a man whose whole job seemed to be to tell the monsters not to come on the path while we walked by - they were very well trained I think because when he held up his hand and said Wait! the monster did, just as we do for MH. I wonder what monsters get for treats? We met nice dogs to run and play with on both our walks, and there was chicken for walk treats, then in the evening when MH was cooking she dropped a green bean and a whole kale stem, and I had the bean to eat and the stem to chew - you can make lots and lots of bits out of one stem. MH says it's just as well she has kept her huge and ancient shop Vax vacuum cleaner that can eat anything (I don't like it because I suspect it could even eat Freddies if it tried).

This morning the monsters were asleep when we got to the river so MH let us off our leads as soon as we were on the path and we explored the big heap of rocks and earth they had made and I peed on it and Poppy pood on it, so we made it even bigger. And I sniffed the monsters' wheels which were very interesting. Just after we got past the men in yellow jackets and hats came with a truck and woke the big grabby monster up and I started to run back to see what they were doing but MH called Freddy Come! and she had chicken so I did and she said I was very good indeed. And on the way back I let her put my lead on before we got near the monsters, which is also being Good, and I didn't pull much on the way back to the car even though we had to walk very slowly because of Poppy, so that is three Goods and I think I can be just a tiny bit Not Good for a bit, once I have had a snooze.
Three Goods makes one VERY Good, Freddy. I think. I鈥檓 not quite a year old yet so maybe my math is off. But I think I鈥檓 right. And one Very Good means you definitely can be a bit Not Good. I hear my human talk about something called balance a lot. She鈥檚 always looking for it. I don鈥檛 know what she means but maybe a bit of Not Good makes the magical thing Balance.

From, Bennie

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MH says that the little back garden is a Good Place for pees and poos and that if she leaves the door open I can go out by myself while she gets on with other stuff. But that is silly - the whole point of going out for pees and poos is to go all over everywhere, looking to see who else is out in their gardens and checking all the pee-mails and leaving catch up messages for all the other dogs and generally doing loads of things that you can't do in a tiny garden with a gate I can't get through and where no other dogs ever go. It is OK for listening and barking and finding sticks to bring in and chew but that is about it.

[This one may take some time... fjm]

Premium Member
Hey, Fred, an important role for you is to check things out in the garden and alert YH if something has changed, tree limb down, stranger danger. My human says 鈥減atrol鈥 and I can usually find something that isn鈥檛 boring. I love patrol and can find every change, even if it鈥檚 only as small branch that fell. Pee on it! I love my yard, of course in Texas it鈥檚 bigger. (MH says Texas has nothing to brag about, but I have no compare.)
Your pal,
Buck

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi Buck - our back garden is tiny - only as big as the sitting room - and it has lots of stuff in it that MH says Off! like plants with beans on and strawberries so it really isn't very interesting. I can talk to Jethro and Hercule in their houses but MH says that is not a good idea either, and there are hardly ever strangers, just neighbours and I get told to be polite to them - you can see why it is boring! This morning we went out of the other door and I went all round the courtyard then round by Albie's house and caught up with his messages then I did a big poo on the road near Gus and Elton's house and while MH was finding a bag went and checked out the corner of Jethro's house and left him a message. Then we came home for breakfast and I ran all the way. It is much more interesting out of that door!

[I live in a converted Victorian workhouse - a private estate of 15 houses with several acres of shared grounds as well as my own tiny garden. It is safe for the dogs to roam, but only if closely supervised... fjm]

• Love
Reactions: Rose n Poos
1 - 16 of 16 Posts