Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was outside with Noelle in the dark. I heard a shuffling noise left of me and saw a black critter with a white stripe down its back heading toward the fence. Noelle saw the skunk and took off after it. "Noelle, come!" As fast as she was running toward the skunk, Noelle made a whip quick u-turn and bolted right to me. She did not get sprayed by a skunk. Now, that's a recall! Yay, Noelle!

·
Registered
10,296 Posts
Wow, lucky lucky lucky recall.

Reactions: Click-N-Treat

·
Premium Member
15,001 Posts
Yay Noelle indeed! Ring work is fun, but it is out in the big wide world that the skills become essential!

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ida Lou and Ussman
8,475 Posts
Yippee Noelle, stay away from those white striped smelly cats

·
Registered
806 Posts
I was outside with Noelle in the dark. I heard a shuffling noise left of me and saw a black critter with a white stripe down its back heading toward the fence. Noelle saw the skunk and took off after it. "Noelle, come!" As fast as she was running toward the skunk, Noelle made a whip quick u-turn and bolted right to me. She did not get sprayed by a skunk. Now, that's a recall! Yay, Noelle!
Ha !!
Clearly a great result!
Ok here in Blighty we have a few critters to be wary of, the usual stuff you find everywhere, but Skunk ?
No not here, but I have to ask if Skunk had sprayed Noelle what's the result ?
Terrible upset for Noelle not just you ?
Is a bath or shower enough to clean up ?
Also. with the Skunk is it only the defensive speay or is there a risk of a physical attack ?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Ha !!
Clearly a great result!
Ok here in Blighty we have a few critters to be wary of, the usual stuff you find everywhere, but Skunk ?
No not here, but I have to ask if Skunk had sprayed Noelle what's the result ?
Terrible upset for Noelle not just you ?
Is a bath or shower enough to clean up ?
Also. with the Skunk is it only the defensive speay or is there a risk of a physical attack ?
A well-aimed spray from a skunk can result in a dog getting so sick from the smell that she vomits repeatedly. Soap has little effect. Many people try a tomato juice bath to clean off the odor, but some dogs end up at the vet.

And, yes, the spray is in the air so anyone nearby can get sprayed. But the poor dog would bear the brunt.

·
Premium Member
4,544 Posts
Mia was sprayed many years ago, out at a friend's horse farm. Should it happen, I recommend a dry bath with H2O2, Dawn dish detergent (the real stuff), and baking soda. You can find the recipe online. Had I known exactly what to do, and done it quickly, it would have been more effective. As it was, I got 95% of the smell out, and it took another two weeks to completely fade.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Enzyme cleaners will take it all out, though it might take 2 baths to get to 100%. You have to wash in the face very carefully, including inside the nostrils and ears with q tips since the face usually gets the worst of it. I keep a bottle of deskunker on hand. I used to live in a neighbourhood which was full of skunks and would often see 2+ on our evening walk. I used to work somewhere that sold deskunker and you could smell the people coming in to buy it the moment they opened the door :D

Other than smell, they don't tend to attack - have no need to - but can carry rabies.

Otherwise, many dogs treated with some of the traditional products like tomato juice, you smell it on them for months, everytime they get a bit damp.

Skunk spray is so powerful you can sometimes smell it half a block away if one sprayed. Annie was 15' away, I was 30' away when we were sprayed. I needed to deskunk me and my face and clothes and hair before I could sleep.

A recall away from a skunk is a super impressive recall!! Noelle is an amazing dog! Skunks are hard to recall from because they tend to turn away and lift their tail and look like they are inviting a friendly dog in for a sniff...

·
Premium Member
25,455 Posts
Fortunately we don't have skunks or native venomous snakes on Long Island! I am most happy about that. Sadly we now have coyotes spreading across the island.

At any rate, wowzer, that is an awesome recall! Javelin has a similarly awesome recall since he will easily and rapidly come back from loose chicken chasing. Lily comes but sometimes takes her time.

Click's story is an excellent opportunity to remind everyone that we should frequently practice recalls so that we know we can rely on them when we need them.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have professional skunk odor removal shampoo on a shelf in the laundry room. I also have plastic gloves. If Noelle had gotten sprayed by a skunk, I would have given her a bath on the patio and not let her back in the house. Fortunately, I didn't have to do that.

·
Premium Member
25,455 Posts
I was staying at a hotel in Syracuse for a big dog show with obedience, etc. in addition to conformation. Aside from generally finding that many conformation folks are not good about picking up poop (which puts nice hotels at risk for not hosting for dog shows) one of these less than sensible people brought their skunked dog into the lobby of the hotel to ask what to do. The whole lobby stank still when I passed through an hour or so later. The manager was totally POd and told me he would have gone out to buy an appropriate shampoo and turned on an outside hose for these folks had they just called the lobby from their cell phone rather than briniging the dog inside.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh, that's disgusting. If your dog smells like skunk, don't bring it inside! How rude was that?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.