Poodle Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm happy with Gracie's name. When I was waiting for her, I had narrowed it down to several names, including Gracie, which I was partial to because of the classic simplicity of it. Then someone at work paid me a compliment on how I handled a very difficult situation by saying I had "Grace under Fire". So that nailed it- her registered name is "Grace Under Fire"- fitting for an agility dog too. When she yodels and howls though, I think she's more like Grace Slick!

Lily's name I love and it rolls off the tongue, although if I had known of her love of shoes, I would have considered Imelda (after Imelda Marcos with the zillion shoes).

Misty's name is perfect- her color as a white sable (I think that's what it's called) is the color of a cloud- white with tinges of gray on her ears. And she flew up on a rescue plane from NC on a very misty day.

In retrospect I would have called Max something very delicate as he is sensitive and a perfect gentleman- Sebastian would have been perfect...but Max he is.

·
Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle 02/20/21
2,321 Posts
Before I got to know which puppy was mine, my name choices were Jasper or Jasmine, depending on the sex. Donna, his breeder, names all her puppies to keep track of who's who while she's caring for them. When I learned which puppy was mine, I loved his name (Elroy), and just had to keep it! One things for sure, there ARE NOT many other Elroy's out there! I think he may be the only one🤣?! Very unique! Everybody's smiles when they learn his name, I love it, he loves it! No way would I ever change his name!

"His boy Elroy!" (sung to the Jetsons theme song)!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I called Kallik pup pup for the 1st 2 weeks and then settled on it. It means lightning in Inuit and although he was very un coordinated he was fast .little 4lb Ulu although small was sharp as a knife, and big 10 lb Osha has a huge coat that spikes out like the sun. Her name means daughter of the sun.
I always wait until I like a name, but I did have a dog named tic tac cause that was the 1st thing she ate lol.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Ha! Poppy got her name as we were driving along thinking of a name before she came home from the breeder.
As it was November, coming up for rememberance Sunday 'Poppy' sprang to mind.
Though 'Popster' gets used quite often, which has morphed into 'Popister' - said with a slightly Italian or French tang - Popeasta.
I have been calling her 'Popeasta'! in the park, which 'mum' is getting fed up with.
She has also been called Little ' *%@+$ ' on the odd occassion.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Before I got to know which puppy was mine, my name choices were Jasper or Jasmine, depending on the sex. Donna, his breeder, names all her puppies to keep track of who's who while she's caring for them. When I learned which puppy was mine, I loved his name (Elroy), and just had to keep it! One things for sure, there ARE NOT many other Elroy's out there! I think he may be the only one🤣?! Very unique! Everybody's smiles when they learn his name, I love it, he loves it! No way would I ever change his name!

Yeah I thought Elroy was a bit different.

·
Registered
3 Posts
what name would you choose?

Normie will always be Normie, but I'd call him Sunny if I were naming him today. It fits his personality.
I would have named Asher, Archie, but Asher is perfect. I had asked my spirit Greyhound tripod Rush to find the right dog for me after I had no luck finding a Poodle or a Whippet for months. (My vets had suggested I change breeds one more time as I lost all 4 of my Greyhounds from 4-1/2 to 6-1/2 and losing my last, Skylar at just 6 almost killed me.)
The next morning after I asked Rush to find the right dog, I had a dream with Rush in it (he died of neurological at 5-1/2 Sept. 20, 2014 at 3 a.m. and he appeared to me 24 hours after his death telling me he was ok and watching over me. He came back in various ways 3 nights in a row at the time of his death). I knew it was him and the connection was there. I wanted him but was told I could not have him. He was on the other side of a fence so I could not get to him. I got up and as I dressed I had a text message from a vet tech at my vet's. She told me there was one male, black Poodle puppy left in a litter of 8. I got the contact info and 2 nights later I saw Asher at 15 days old, and held him in the washcloth that he fit at the time. The owner asked me if I had a name. I NEVER name a dog before I get him or her, but I immediately said "Ash or Asher." As the weeks went by, I looked at other names but Asher kept popping up. I looked up the meaning of it--
Many Blessings from Above.
That was it. He was Asher from the first time I saw him. I truly believe that Rush sent him to me. He was only 1.5 miles away from my home. It was the one and only litter his owner would have and she let me see him when he went out in the grass the first time and I gave him his first bath. He still goes over to see one of his brothers to play occasionally. Such a great family who brought him up with kids around and so much joy.
So, I love the name Archie for him, but he will always be my gift from Rush, the Magic Greyhound, so his name is and will remain Asher.

Dog Vertebrate Comfort Dog breed Carnivore

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
what name would you choose?

Normie will always be Normie, but I'd call him Sunny if I were naming him today. It fits his personality.
I named my mpoo "Bravo" but I usually call him "Boo" because if he was a little boy, he would be the type of child that creeps up behind you and shouts " Boo" when you least expect it. He has an unusual play style. If he sees a dog coming towards him, he goes into a down. When the dog is a few feet away, he springs up and pounces. He is wagging his tail and I can almost hear him laugh.

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
426 Posts
I would have named Asher, Archie, but Asher is perfect. I had asked my spirit Greyhound tripod Rush to find the right dog for me after I had no luck finding a Poodle or a Whippet for months. (My vets had suggested I change breeds one more time as I lost all 4 of my Greyhounds from 4-1/2 to 6-1/2 and losing my last, Skylar at just 6 almost killed me.)
The next morning after I asked Rush to find the right dog, I had a dream with Rush in it (he died of neurological at 5-1/2 Sept. 20, 2014 at 3 a.m. and he appeared to me 24 hours after his death telling me he was ok and watching over me. He came back in various ways 3 nights in a row at the time of his death). I knew it was him and the connection was there. I wanted him but was told I could not have him. He was on the other side of a fence so I could not get to him. I got up and as I dressed I had a text message from a vet tech at my vet's. She told me there was one male, black Poodle puppy left in a litter of 8. I got the contact info and 2 nights later I saw Asher at 15 days old, and held him in the washcloth that he fit at the time. The owner asked me if I had a name. I NEVER name a dog before I get him or her, but I immediately said "Ash or Asher." As the weeks went by, I looked at other names but Asher kept popping up. I looked up the meaning of it--
That was it. He was Asher from the first time I saw him. I truly believe that Rush sent him to me. He was only 1.5 miles away from my home. It was the one and only litter his owner would have and she let me see him when he went out in the grass the first time and I gave him his first bath. He still goes over to see one of his brothers to play occasionally. Such a great family who brought him up with kids around and so much joy.
So, I love the name Archie for him, but he will always be my gift from Rush, the Magic Greyhound, so his name is and will remain Asher.

View attachment 484589
That's a beautiful story. I'm so happy things worked out that way for you.

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
426 Posts

You got the Jetsons theme song stuck in my head Tom. Each time I see a picture of Elroy now it comes back...and I'm unsure if I will ever forgive you! 😆

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
We are ones to name our dogs before we get them and we go through many names before we find one we both love. Bobby’s real name is Robert, after a dear friend who passed away. Bobby is a Bobby and we love the name and it suits him. It’s also a fun name to make nicknames from such as, “Bobberoni.” There is another name that I love and I think it would fit his personality though…Bingo! For whatever reason, I think Bobby could be a Bingo.

So far, Joey remains the perfect name. He’s just our sweet little Joey. My husband sometimes calls him “JJ ” for Jumpin’ Joey.
He was also named for a dear person in our lives…a high school teacher whom we both had and loved who was also a part time pastor, the one who married us. We probably rolled out 100 names over the past year for our “next” dog. Joey was the name we both instantly fell in love with.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I do for some reason name on first inspirations. My 1st SPOO, was an apricot named for Nicole Kidman's character in the movie Practical Magic. "Jilly." When I first met her, it fit perfectly! I called her BeanieBeans a lot. Or JillyBean like in the movie.

"PixiePoodle" is Jilly's mirror image daughter. She is mischief and all things SPoodle. Her nick name is Pookie or PixiePoo. She's going to be 11 in March. It still fits her.

I've always wanted a black SPOO. Maggie, my 9 month old is named for the same movie as Jilly. Her formal name is "Gemstone's Practical Magic Charm". She is ink black like the gem stone Obsidion. "Maggie" is her call name short for Magic. I call her Maggilet, MaggieMuffin, Magamuffin, MaggieMay, Mags. She is sweet and loves to hear her names. She seems to love Maggilet best. I had a black cat named Violet. Maggilet is a combo. Maggie she's Violet's reincarn. I've called her Violet by accident when she was about 10 weeks and cat sized. 🤣

·
Registered
613 Posts
Louie was named after where he was from - New Orleans & Louie Armstrong...and I kinda went solo on naming whereas usually as a family we have endless lists and negotiations. We are very big on naming things in a quirky or meaningful fashion. Of course I had no clue about Poodles in general (my husband picked the breed for once) and Minis in particular. When I realized his personality, which is 100% tough-as-nails action hero, with a tiny but of a soft core (that is now coming through more and more as he matures) I wanted to name him Bruce (as in Bruce Willis) or any other tough sounding guy name like Rambo...As he is totally keyed in to Louie, I now call him Louie, the Klingon Poodle Warrior, which aptly sums up his Klingon Warrior personality. My husband for a while was calling him Il Divo or Caruso or Enrico due to his impressive vocal talents - his song repertoire is endless. What is funny about Louie is that he knows he is "The Poodle". As when we try to talk in code and avoid saying his name - he immediately knows we are talking about him. We have never owned a dog before that knew his breed and now resort to talking in Spanish, Portuguese or German if we really want him to not follow the conversation (which is getting harder and harder since he is starting to catch on hehe).

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

View attachment 484589

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Asher in spirit. I love that you have told this. I am always hesitant to tell such spiritual stories after being ridiculed/not believed in the past. But I definitely believe you from experience! Thank you Asher for being a guide:)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts