Poodle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I wanted to name Phoebe Trixie, but then I realized how close it is to my husband’s nickname for one son (after convincing the husband). She would also be a fantastic Moxie, but again, too close to another son’s name. I’m not in love with her name, which I was just telling my husband last night. I love the meaning behind it, but the name itself is just okay. Half the time I call her Fifi, Feebs, or just Fee instead of Phoebe.

·
Registered
Evelyn, sable standard poodle
437 Posts
Evelyn would be either Sugar or Honey. Because he's all sweet, no salt no spice.

Ranna would be Belgaer. Both names are from the same book:
"Ranna is the Sleeper, the smallest bell, with a sweet and low sound, which brings sleep to those who hear it." vs. "Belgaer is the Thinker, a tricksome bell that seeks to ring of its own accord, which allows independent thought for the dead, or erases memories." While Ranna is certainly small and his antics can leave me ready for a good night's sleep, that willful little brain is always going!

·
Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria (10/6/2014) Mr. Leonard Pink (8/7/2017) Walter Grey (9/28/2010(
7,784 Posts
Nope, picked out good names for my gang
Pia is my popstar and Leonard is my heavy metal poodle

·
Premium Member
24,775 Posts
I would keep the names they have since somehow even though I picked the names before they came home they fit their personalities. Even Peeves whose registered name was Quagmire ended up with the right name for his funny personality.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I might have stuck with Lark (what I planned before bringing him home) rather than switching to Elmer (stuck to me like glue) in his first week home.
Lately I've been joking that I should have named him Pogo, since the little boy loves to jump!

·
Super Moderator
4,033 Posts
Hard to say. Ritter knows his name, and he seems to like his name. However, he is so big, and he is such a clumsy doofus in comparison to the lithe and agile Galen. A part of me thinks he should be called Baby Huey instead. On the other hand, Baby Huey was a very trusting character; his naive willingness to toddle off with the fox is part of the comedy. Ritter is friendly, but I wouldn't say he's unconditionally trusting.

·
Registered
552 Posts
When Oona came home there were a few days when we didn't know what to call her. Other names we considered were Olive, Hazel, Azula, and Peridot. I liked Oona best because of how it felt to say and call - especially the long 'oo'.
I still think Oona suits her personality, as a name that can be both glamorous and goofy. She also gets called Oonie, and sometimes just Oon.
The only downside I have noticed about her name is that it sounds almost identical to the very popular dog name "Luna", which can be confusing at the park, dog class, etc when someone else calls their dog. It happens pretty often that there is Oona and a Luna in the same group. Plus when I've been in a mask, people can't read my lips and think I'm saying her name is Luna.

·
Registered
437 Posts
When Oona came home there were a few days when we didn't know what to call her. Other names we considered were Olive, Hazel, Azula, and Peridot. I liked Oona best because of how it felt to say and call - especially the long 'oo'.
I still think Oona suits her personality, as a name that can be both glamorous and goofy. She also gets called Oonie, and sometimes just Oon.
The only downside I have noticed about her name is that it sounds almost identical to the very popular dog name "Luna", which can be confusing at the park, dog class, etc when someone else calls their dog. It happens pretty often that there is Oona and a Luna in the same group. Plus when I've been in a mask, people can't read my lips and think I'm saying her name is Luna.
I really like Oona's name. Something about it feels very satisfying to both read and say. Oona. Ooooonah. Oona! Oon.

·
Registered
Leo (GSD), Lily (APBT), and Simon (SPoo)
548 Posts
I don't think I would. I can't imagine Simon as anything but a Simon*. Same with Leo, Lily, Ilka, and Lucky. I can't imagine them as any other name.

However, my naming philosophy is that eventually, you will open your mouth and the right name will come out. I had one poor cat who was called "the black cat" for nearly a month until I called him Damascus, and I swear he looked at me like "What in the heck took you so long to learn my name, human?"

*His litter name was Knox, or Knoxville (litter theme was "road trip"), and I tried calling him that, but it just didn't seem right. I tried another name I really liked, and it didn't feel right either. As soon as I called him Simon, I new that was the right name.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Lol. I think I lost the intent of the question when I answered about Ranna's name. Although Belgaer is the correct choice for his personality, I knew that at the time and specifically didn't name him that as a sort of ward against him being too stubborn and independent. Which I think has been successful so far, it has helped me focus on how calm he is rather than how obstinate and willful he can be.

I stand by my wish that I had named Evelyn Sugar instead though. I picked his name well before I got him and was just being bullheaded when I refused to pick a different one when I realized it didn't quite fit. (To be clear I never wanted a female poodle though.) Would have saved me having to be patient with a lot of questions, though people would have still thought he was a girl. But my experience with Ranna has confirmed for me that there's no competing against people's personal biases when it comes to whether they think a dog is a boy or a girl. They call Ranna a "she" even before they learn his name and despite his bright red gear.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts