Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are doing a breed meet and greet this weekend at a retirement home and the question was asked if one of the poodles could be clipped into the continental (if I felt up to it, which I do) even if it was more a "pet version" of the style.

My brain is all out of decisions today/this week. I've been thinking to much already. I do want to groom both of the girls tonight/tomorrow anyway.
I can't decide if she'll wear a modified version of this clip well or not. I keep looking at her and one minute the answer is yes and the next minute it is no. I want something different, I hate her present haircut truth be told. A miami is just not my favorite lol though it looks nice on her and has been a godsend since I don't have to maintain it as much. A conti. in her present length would be even less maintain when I think about it.

Modified in this case means short. Most of her coat is short except her topknot, neck, and bracelets. The short parts are at least an inch long by now if not a little more. The long parts are a couple of inches I guess. I'm just estimating, it's curly right now so hard to tell for sure just how much longer it may be. She hasn't been clipped in over a month and then it was with a #2 comb.

She's 13 mo old now, little miss I'm not perfect but I'm not horrid either lol
here's a photo, what do you think? She might wear it OK even while its short?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
I think it might look odd at the current length but it's definately something she could grow into as the coat grows.

Whatever clip you have her in i'm sure people will be thrilled and it would also be much different from the other dogs they will see. So I'd say go for it, i think they would get a kick out of it. Afterall, that's the reason you're doing it to bring joy to people, so who cares if it looks a bit off!

Also, if it will make your job easier for the time being that's another bonus.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I agree completely with Aidan. It's short so it may look kind of strange at first, but she'll grow into it and I'm sure people will love it all the same.

And the easy maintenance is a huge plus. ;)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should should probably mention that it will stay short for at least a year probably... not as short as it is now mind you but I'm never going to go all out with her coat like I do with Jazz's and let it get six or seven inches of growth. Mostly I am worried that her rosettes will look funny in the shorter length. Guess I could try it and shave them off if they looked dumb. Im not sure with her body being a touch on the long side she could pull off the non rosette look??

*sigh* Wish finghin was a little closer or had time for another quick visit. She did pretty well on Jazz's modified continetal. Maybe I should try a swirl or something instead.
ROFL listen to me, (or read me... ??) I have gone from a pattern that I've done a million times and find relatively easy to thinking about a swirl which I have never done and getting it even on both sides will not be easy. I think I might need a nap.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think it would be cute! I don't know ANYTHING about Poodle's show cuts, but I think the people at the retirement home would get a total kick out of it at any length!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Yeah I would leave the rosettes off, they would look pretty odd that short. Short continentals look better without rosettes imho anyway. :)

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I vote for the swirl:)
haha thanx... :rolffleyes: God knows what that would come out to look like. I'd have to add it to my "pregnancy induced haircuts" photo album on facebook no doubt.

Later it is I suppose, on any clip. I just tried to clip her face while I was waiting for my 'taters' to boil so I could mash them and got such horrible double you over and make you cry pains I almost cut her eye. Methinks there will be no grooming tonight, or tomarrow :( I'll have to bully John into at least giving them a bath though he probably won't blow dry them really before we go to the retirement home. I don't think I'll get to do Jazz's ears/tail/bracelets blue either which would really make them all smile. Oh well, not the end of the world I can look at her miami a while longer I suppose.
I am sooo bummed now

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I should should probably mention that it will stay short for at least a year probably... not as short as it is now mind you but I'm never going to go all out with her coat like I do with Jazz's and let it get six or seven inches of growth. Mostly I am worried that her rosettes will look funny in the shorter length. Guess I could try it and shave them off if they looked dumb. Im not sure with her body being a touch on the long side she could pull off the non rosette look??

*sigh* Wish finghin was a little closer or had time for another quick visit. She did pretty well on Jazz's modified continetal. Maybe I should try a swirl or something instead.
ROFL listen to me, (or read me... ??) I have gone from a pattern that I've done a million times and find relatively easy to thinking about a swirl which I have never done and getting it even on both sides will not be easy. I think I might need a nap.
Now I like that! And there are so many out there, which surprised so if ones off you can creative on the other. I want to see that!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts