Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while - had a bad Crohns flare up:doh: Anywho, on Memorial's Day weekend I went to a local dog show to meet Poodles for the first time - and it was a terrible experience! One poodle lifted its leg and sprayed my my mom as we approached, another snapped at a kid that was walking by (to be fair I didn't see what the child was doing before the snap). Aside from that, the conformation on many were terrible - slanted backs, whites with bright pink pigment, and one had scars on its face from bad FFT grooming. There were a few lovely dogs, but after getting sprayed my mom wanted to go home and change so I didn't get to stay too long.

Now I am trying to chalk this up to an odd perfect storm of bad dog luck, but am a little nervous. I really love everything I have read about this breed - and you guys seem to have wonderful dogs. I also hope I didn't come across as a conformational snob - I am much more concerned about personality - I guess I was just expecting more from show dogs. My mom is now a bit turned off (getting peed on will do that, I suppose lol) - but I am not ready to give up on Poodles (and she will love being grandma to any dog I get). Please tell me I am not crazy in liking this breed!

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Wow! What a "bad luck" experience!! Hopefully it will not turn you off to the breed as a whole. You are right in that many of us have wonderful, lovely dogs and whenever I'm ready to add another dog to our family it will be another standard poodle without a moment's hesitation (actually, I frequently lurk on our local online classified ads looking for anyone wanting to rehome standard poodles. I can do rescue and foster, but hubby isn't interested in adding another permanent pack member yet since we already have 4 resident dogs!)

If you ever have a chance to acquaint yourself with poodles again, I recommend it! Hopefully your future meetings will be more pleasant! :)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Wow, you did have an awful experience, poor thing, definitely not the best way to "meet the breed". I would just chuck it up to a bed experience. Did the incident happen before or after the dogs were shown? Was it an AKC or a UKC show???

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Oh my gosh! I am getting ready to take my family to a dog show tomorrow. We are looking at mini poodles. I have just convinced my husband that a poodle is "the way to go." Praying I do not have that experience! LOL

I had a mini as a child, and she was awesome. Sorry you had such a bad experience! Guess you did not meet any worthwhile breeders there?

Maybe it would be best to visit a breeder at their home and see THEIR dogs to see if they suit you.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
That is just foul and disgusting. :scared:

The benefit in my mind of going to a dog show is that you can see The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. That would have been a perfect opportunity to ask the dogs name, make a note in your catalog, and avoid that bloodline like the plague! Ditto for the dogs with aggressive behavior and poor pigment.

Ten years ago when I first got into poodle, I was a dog show haunt. I would lurk ringside and take lots of notes about what I likes and what I didn't like. I would wonder grooming set ups and talk to exhibitors. I gave myself time (almost a year!) and in the end, I came home with a show quality puppy who met all of my show and performance expectation.

Don't give up. Go back and try again.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Don't worry, I had a very similar experience when I first met mini poodles! I went to a breeder's house and these many crazed dogs whizzed by, leapt off me and generally freaked me out and made me question whether this was the breed for me (shortly after that experience I joined this forum for reassurance). While only you can know if this is the breed for you, but I wouldn't let one bad experience turn you off. I'm glad I didn't, as I adore my little guy.

I agree with Skye, visit a breeder in their home and get to know their dogs that way. Well not a breeder like the one I visited, but one who sounds like they have dogs with the right personality for you. Don't give up just yet!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I'm sorry I haven't posted in a while - had a bad Crohns flare up:doh: Anywho, on Memorial's Day weekend I went to a local dog show to meet Poodles for the first time - and it was a terrible experience! One poodle lifted its leg and sprayed my my mom as we approached, another snapped at a kid that was walking by (to be fair I didn't see what the child was doing before the snap). Aside from that, the conformation on many were terrible - slanted backs, whites with bright pink pigment, and one had scars on its face from bad FFT grooming. There were a few lovely dogs, but after getting sprayed my mom wanted to go home and change so I didn't get to stay too long.

Now I am trying to chalk this up to an odd perfect storm of bad dog luck, but am a little nervous. I really love everything I have read about this breed - and you guys seem to have wonderful dogs. I also hope I didn't come across as a conformational snob - I am much more concerned about personality - I guess I was just expecting more from show dogs. My mom is now a bit turned off (getting peed on will do that, I suppose lol) - but I am not ready to give up on Poodles (and she will love being grandma to any dog I get). Please tell me I am not crazy in liking this breed!
Just curious, what size poodle are you looking for?

·
Registered
631 Posts
I think you encountered the perfect storm of "bad" poodles at that show! I would go to another show and I'm sure you'll have a better encounter. I've been going to shows for years (even some for one of my college classes!) and have only had 1 not so great experience.
I don't know if this will make you feel better, but when I was discussing what breed would be best for me with my service dog program, they said they were so excited I chose a spoo. The head of the program said her favorite service dogs are spoos:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you everyone for your responses - it was nice to know I wasn't the only one who had a less than ideal first time impression with the breed (thank you Cdnjennga - Darcy seems like a wonderful puppy - I can see why you are smitten!). I really think that was just a bit of bad luck and I will go to more shows in the future. I am not ready to give up!

Cbrand - you are right - that was the perfect opportunity to write down which breeders from the local area to avoid (this was the Monmouth County NJ kennel club show <I think AKC?>, so I suspect there may have been a lot of local hobby breeders) I think it is time to really get my list of potential breeders/breeders to avoid started.

Skye - I am deciding between a miniature and a standard. It will depend on if there is a weight restriction on the pet friendly apartments I am looking at. I am sorry to have scared you about your upcoming trip to a dog show. I really think your trip will go much better - this was surely a fluke.

Karma'sACat - that does make me feel better :)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Thank you everyone for your responses - it was nice to know I wasn't the only one who had a less than ideal first time impression with the breed (thank you Cdnjennga - Darcy seems like a wonderful puppy - I can see why you are smitten!). I really think that was just a bit of bad luck and I will go to more shows in the future. I am not ready to give up!

Cbrand - you are right - that was the perfect opportunity to write down which breeders from the local area to avoid (this was the Monmouth County NJ kennel club show <I think AKC?>, so I suspect there may have been a lot of local hobby breeders) I think it is time to really get my list of potential breeders/breeders to avoid started.

Skye - I am deciding between a miniature and a standard. It will depend on if there is a weight restriction on the pet friendly apartments I am looking at. I am sorry to have scared you about your upcoming trip to a dog show. I really think your trip will go much better - this was surely a fluke.

Karma'sACat - that does make me feel better :)
I read this thread to my husband. He said he is wearing tall, plastic socks tomorrow! LOL

I know just recently I saw what seems like a good mini breeder located in NJ. (Did someone recently get one in NJ?) I will look around, and send you the name when I find it!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read this thread to my husband. He said he is wearing tall, plastic socks tomorrow! LOL

I know just recently I saw what seems like a good mini breeder located in NJ. (Did someone recently get one in NJ?) I will look around, and send you the name when I find it!
Plastic socks!!:rofl: Also, thank you for the offer to forward me that info, if you find it. I think a puppy is still a year or two away, but it is never too early to start compiling a breeder list. I hope you and your fam have a fabulous (and dry) time at the dog show!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Well, we made it to the dog show today, but not until later. I am planning on going to the one next week, when they are showing the minis and standards a little later! We did get to meet Terry and John (Farley's D) and they were both very nice and friendly. I didn't get to see their poodles, just their Havanese. The Havanese were adorable little dogs. But, as we were leaving, we saw a black standard poodle in it's show-do, and that just took my breath away! Must be the hairdresser in me, but, poodles just wow me!

By the way, what do you call it when the hair on the ears is long and in bands? I love that look. Maybe I should ask in another thread? This poodle had an undocked tail as well. I look I am really liking....

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
P.S. We all left dry, no one got peed on! But, I am pretty sure the chihuahuas in the ex-pen would have eaten us if they could have gotten to us!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have seen some appallingly bad behaviour at shows, I've also seen some spectacular dogs, and some really pathetic examples of their breed. I've met nice people and I've met totally obnoxious and ignorant people. [I come from a working dog background, so I have a low threshold for bad behaviour] I did take my Belle to a match that was having an eye clinic yesterday and I'll send in her CERF paperwork tom.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts