Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So our first class session of puppy training is complete and Nova earned her AKC star puppy award. It wasn’t difficult but a step in the right direction.

6457173C-5482-4793-A4BC-F1F4C124E2CF.jpg

AB6DC38B-1A27-4D34-9D40-8661868E1080.jpg

Next class doesn’t start until January but it is beginner plus class (crate games+foundations) and a handling class. It will be tough to do both back to back but the drive is too far to do it twice a week.

Our first time showing in Novice Puppy in January ( she will be 7days shy of 6 months old)will be before we take the handling class so I’m getting the puppy culture stacking video and watching a ton of YouTube shows. I have taken one before but it’s been about 7 yrs. I have a date set up at the end of December with a certified master groomer to fix her coat for me as I really don’t how to put her in a show puppy cut.

Last night they said they needed Stewards for the pre classic akc show in December so I’m thinking about doing that if I have those days free.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Huge congratulations. So cute, love to see the photos with everyone happy, including Nova.

I definitely would volunteer to steward. You can learn a lot as knowledgeable people who are stewarding are happy to discuss with you what they are seeing - faults, good handling etc. In my club I've always asked to steward what I am preparing to show in so I was able to get comfortable with the process. This past weekend I stewarded Open and Utility Obedience.

Reactions: Mel

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I was thinking. I know I need to learn a lot and most likely will be steward for obedience. I’m thinking about taking Nova that direction along with conformation. She did really well on their agility props ( ramp, beam, and little jump ladder thing) but I don’t see myself running around :aetsch:. :ahhhhh:

I don’t know any show people other than Nova’s sire owner ( and she is in a different state) and Sandy’s breeder (also in another state). The person who is going to cut her hair show poodles and has a good rep. for helping out newbies. and goes to UKC show so I will at least know someone there.

One thing that we really really have to work on is the way Nova acts when someone tries to approach/ pet her. One of the trainers tried to pet her and Nova was trying to escape/back away. I think it was because of the way she leaned over her it scared her but it might also be that she is going through a fear phase. I told the trainer assistant to just stand beside her and not pet at first but she couldn’t seem to understand that Nova needed a min. to get comfortable with her. Her world has been very small with exposure to outside people since she just got her 3rd shots/ rabies last weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts