Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two shih-tzus. I lost my oldest one to congestive heart failure earlier this year.

I originally wanted a standard poodle. I checked the standard and it said that a Standard poodle was anything over 16 inches. My son has a black goldendoodle and I love him. But we are in our 60s and when I discovered that, in fact, today's Standard poodles are more like 27/28 inches, I thought I would get a mini. I have paid a deposit but as my son's dog had parvo and he was at my house, I am not taking the puppy until she has had all three parvo shots - just to be safe.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Umm - couldn't find how to edit my post. Also, I cannot post on the poodle talk board, so I will ask my question here although its probably not the right place.

The woman I am getting my poodle from shows her dogs. I went to the dog show today and held one of her dogs while she was getting the other one ready. I had THOUGHT that I didn't like the look of poodles in show coats, seeing them up close convinced me. I hate the shaved faces and the shaved feet, but I don't want to offend this woman. Is there a nice way of asking if she could leave my puppy looking rough and shaggy - that is without offending her??

I am sort of having second thoughts, although I have paid a deposit.
What I love about the look of my son's dog is that he is so BLACK. These dogs didn't look black but I think it was because they had show coats and they just looked fuzzy. If the puppy's coat is left natural, will it be shiny and black??

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Welcome.:)

I would just be honest with her about it. Thats the right thing to do.

Also - if you are not sure, stop now so you don't regret it later and chose to rehome the dog if it does not suit you. Poodle hair grows fast and needs to brushed often and it will need to be trimmed from time to time.

Poodles are wonderful!! But they are not for everyone. :) Good luck!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I am sure I will like the size and the personality. I just wanted to be sure how their coat works. I am quite willing to brush the dog. But then when I have the coat all brushed out, can I spray it with water or something so its not all fuzzy like show dogs? I get my Shih-tzus groomed every two months and I intend to do the same with the poodle.

I guess I could say that if its not too much trouble to her, could she leave the feet and face unshaved? But I am afraid that she will ask me why and then I don't know what to say because I just don't like it. I think it makes their faces look too small and pointy and out of proportion to the rest of the dog -- but I would NEVER say that.

Mind you - once you get a dog you tend to ignore its deficiencies!! My younger Shih-tzu had a really nice champion father but my Tyson has a terrible front - he stands with his left foot pointing out but he can still do agility and its just how Tyson is and I love him just as if he was perfect!

Is this what a poodle would look like with a shortish coat and not brushed out fuzzy?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Yes, if you dont blow dry them they will be curly. Now while they have their puppy coat is might be softer and more of a light curl & wavy. Honestly, their face grows fast - with in a few weeks if shaven close (which a lot of LOVE) it has some good length to it. Same with the feet. So if you dont want to offend her then just wait until it grows out.

And the picture is a good example of what it will look like if not blown out or trimmed.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh thank you! You have sent my mind at rest. I thought it would look like that.

I wanted a smaller version of my son's Goldendoodle, but I wanted a purebred registered dog because I belong to the local kennel club and would feel very stupid getting a mutt. I suppose that shouldn't bother me, because I do take my son's doodle to obedience classes with my granddaughter. He comes here quite often while my son is at work - he is my grand-dog -- same as a grandchild - you can enjoy them while they are here but then you can send them home to their parents!!!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
definitely you can groom a poodle however you like, and yes they can have the 'teddy bear' faces rather than a slick shaved look. And yes you can spritz the coat to bring the curls back in again too.

A good breeder is likely to already have shaved the puppies faces, feet and tail base from around 4 weeks of age anyway. The reasoning is that the breeder will be wanting to see the face structure of the pups to choose a suitable show prospect etc, and you simply can't do that with a fuzzy face! The other reason is because most poodles will continue with the face being shaved, so if they're used to it since a puppy it's not going to be a big fight to have their faces done when they're older too! Now, I understand you not wanting the face already shaved, and a good breeder will probably be happy to leave it to grow out fuzzy after their assessments of structure etc, I'm just pointing out the breeder may say 'sorry, it's already done' too! hehe. It won't be a bad thing if your pup has had it's face done, as it WILL grow back in fuzzy pretty quickly! and it will mean that at least the pup is used to things around it's face, as even a fuzzy face will still need trimming to keep it tidy!!!

Also remember that when getting groomed, the groomer WILL fluff dry it so the coat is straight and plush, or they won't be able to get an even clip on it. Talk to your groomer though, and they may be happy after they've clipped it off evenly, to spray a misting of water over to bring the curls back and cage dry it before heading home. This will mean a longer stay at the groomers, and may cost more due to taking more time and stuffing around, but just another thing to think about. You can of course always do it at home too, but just as long as you don't blame the groomer for giving you a very fluffy poodle back after your groom! hehe. And yes, a groomer should be happy to leave a fuzzy face & feet on a poodle, just be very specific about it initially! :)

Combing and brushing will fluff the coat up again, but if it hasn't been fluff dried then the curls will return pretty quickly by themselves, or of course you can mist it down again to bring them back. Be aware that curls on an adult coat can be a PITA to get a comb through though, and you can't neglect them or they'll mat up more easily than a straightened coat!

Annnnnd one last thing; black poodles are shiney black when young, but few stay inky black beyond a few years of age. But in saying that a lot of goldendoodles etc don't stay inky black either! There ARE always some lines that do keep inky black, and there are some exceptions from 'bad' lines that will hold their colour too, but please do be aware that your pup MAY very likely become an 'off' black colour as it gets older.

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
I want to interject one thing about fuzzy feet...

Personally I love a clean poodle face and feet, and one of the things I like MOST about the clean feet is that there is less "stuff" dragged in from the yard (leaves, grass, dirt, mud, etc...)

If you like a fuzzy look to the foot, see if you can make sure at least the hair that grows in the bottom (paw pad area) of the foot get cleaned/shaved out. This also gives the poodle better traction on slick surfaces like tile or linoleum - if their paw pads are overgown with hair, they slip and slide more easily than if the grip of their paw pads are exposed.

Just a thought... :)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
hehe, yes I too prefer clean feet for that reason!!! Though in saying that it (should) be normal for ALL dogs to have under their pads trimmed by a groomer. There are actually very few dogs who get fully shaved toes (only the poodles really, and not even all of them are done) where as the other 90% of my clients have fluffy feet (bichons, maltese, schnauzers, shih tzus, cross breeds, spaniels etc etc etc) and the owners don't worry about the amount of rubbish bought in from outside, so I don't think it's as much of a problem as us poodle people like to think! LOL! But yes, the underside of the pads should be trimmed out (though like I said, that SHOULD be automatically done anyway; it's done on every other furry footed critter we do!)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
well i can say with my non poodle dogs my aussies- i get way less water/dirt etc tracked in when my doggy pads are trimmed up (just the underneath )

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, I don't want a long coat. I would be happy to get a fluffy dog back from the groomer, because it would only be really short and it would be the same all over - not long on the body and shaved on the face and bum. I am not sure how long you can leave a coat when you clip it. My shih-tzus coats are clipped quite short when they come home, but they are definitely not down to the skin. My groomer used to have some of the top Shih-tzus in Canada and she makes their coats so lovely and smooth - when I see my friend's dog come home looking like he has been attacked by a weed whacker - I am glad my groomer makes my dogs look wonderful.

I brush them with a slicker brush - is that what you would use on a poodle?

My objections to the shaved look also apply to the Portuguese Water Dog and the Lowchen -- any dog with lovely hair on the front and a shaved rear end - I just don't like that look! However, I do realize that pets would almost never look like that.

Of course, beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder. That is why I didn't want to offend this breeder by saying I didn't like the look.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
A slicker is good on some parts = BUT because you want a tighter look. A pin brush and greyhound comb would be good for what you want. The slickers are going to pull the curl out and you will get that more poofy, fuzzy appearance.

There is a lot of info on here about grooming and taking care of the coat. You should visit the grooming section:)

You will be a happy poodle owner I am sure.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have posted some pics of my dog, Jeeves. I don't use the traditional cuts, and if you want to you can even let the fur kind of dread lock. I have had his face curly, I think my groomer calls it a lamb cut. I still have him groomed, but I don't let them shave.

I will post a picture of him in a hawaiin shirt, you can see his face quite well in that picture. He was not quite a year old in that picture.

I have curly hair myself and I use a 'rake' type comb or just my fingers on him the way I do my own hair. I think it is nicer curls than the fuzzy fur. But I am glad the breeder had him groomed when he was little, because he is very calm about being cared for.

-Pam

1 - 17 of 17 Posts