Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well yesterday my husband gave Zachary a haircut. This is my husbands first try and I think he did pretty good for a first try. He had an instruction video he went by as well. My grandfather recently bought clippers and has been grooming his dog himself, so my husband wanted to give it a try. (Anything to cut back the way the economy is right now, right?)

So I will admit its not groomer quality but he did do a pretty good job. Zack was burning up. (It went from 3 weeks straight of 17 degree weather up to 60 degree weather. But they say if in our state, "If you don't like the weather stick around a few minutes, it will change".

I will say its hard to tell from the pictures how close of a cut he got, but I couldn't believe how much fur this dog had. Its a pretty close shave, we didn't do much with his face or top not, my husband shaved it a bit but not close and the top not and ears we left alone (we like long ears). And we wanted to mainly get the hair out of his eyes.

He is still probably going to see his regular groomer in march (if I have any say about it) but my husband wants to try again in march.

Zachary did awesome though he sat still for my husband the whole time and didn't cause any trouble. He got a big cookie for that one. We took him to the petstore to get a cookie when he was done.

So here he is: (I'll admit he still looks a bit scruffy but he isn't so hot now. By the way excuse his dirty face, he just ate dinner and we have to wet down his kibble for him....he also needed another good brushing, he had been playing pretty rough before I took the pictures)

We still have to cut around his feet, my husband was just a bit nervous to mess with his feet right now due to the one that I cut the nail too short on was still bothering him. So in a few days we are going to do his feet. So right now he looks like he has huge feet.

Again its no professional groom, but I do think with more confidence and practice my husband could improve and do a pretty decent job. (for times when it needs done and we just can't have it done.)

I'm just proud they both made it through without either one getting hurt. Zachary didn't snap at him or anything, I think he likes getting groomed.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Well yesterday my husband gave Zachary a haircut. This is my husbands first try and I think he did pretty good for a first try. He had an instruction video he went by as well. My grandfather recently bought clippers and has been grooming his dog himself, so my husband wanted to give it a try. (Anything to cut back the way the economy is right now, right?)

So I will admit its not groomer quality but he did do a pretty good job. Zack was burning up. (It went from 3 weeks straight of 17 degree weather up to 60 degree weather. But they say if in our state, "If you don't like the weather stick around a few minutes, it will change".

I will say its hard to tell from the pictures how close of a cut he got, but I couldn't believe how much fur this dog had. Its a pretty close shave, we didn't do much with his face or top not, my husband shaved it a bit but not close and the top not and ears we left alone (we like long ears). And we wanted to mainly get the hair out of his eyes.

He is still probably going to see his regular groomer in march (if I have any say about it) but my husband wants to try again in march.

Zachary did awesome though he sat still for my husband the whole time and didn't cause any trouble. He got a big cookie for that one. We took him to the petstore to get a cookie when he was done.

So here he is: (I'll admit he still looks a bit scruffy but he isn't so hot now. By the way excuse his dirty face, he just ate dinner and we have to wet down his kibble for him....he also needed another good brushing, he had been playing pretty rough before I took the pictures)

We still have to cut around his feet, my husband was just a bit nervous to mess with his feet right now due to the one that I cut the nail too short on was still bothering him. So in a few days we are going to do his feet. So right now he looks like he has huge feet.

Again its no professional groom, but I do think with more confidence and practice my husband could improve and do a pretty decent job. (for times when it needs done and we just can't have it done.)

I'm just proud they both made it through without either one getting hurt. Zachary didn't snap at him or anything, I think he likes getting groomed.

Very sweet!! I would LOVE to see whats under all the face hair someday:)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Aww he looks like a little lamb! I think your husband did a pretty good job his first attempt, yes, the hair on the feet needs to be trimmed up or shaved a bit but other than that looks good! (my hubby has never attempted to clip Cash...he knows to leave that to meh!) I usually cut cash like this in the summer. :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The biggest problem I see is on his underside the coat isn't that even and on the sides but other than that I mean he did pretty good for a first attempt.

I mean we wanted to get a close cut on his face like he had before but my husband just couldn't get that close but before we cut him you couldn't see his eyes at all.

EDIT: Funny story I just checked the forcast and guess what they are calling for snow and cold weather at the end of the week. (Funny how the forcast can change in just a day) I guess I'll be bringing his sweater back out

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know what they say though, "The difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is 2 weeks" So he should look a bit more even in a few weeks.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
You know what they say though, "The difference between a good haircut and a bad haircut is 2 weeks" So he should look a bit more even in a few weeks.
I think he did a good job already! Props and kudos to your hubby - most would never do that:)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think he did a good job already! Props and kudos to your hubby - most would never do that:)
Well he would have been very upset with me if I had done it. Being 9 months pregnant and supposed to be taking it easy. But to be honest he did much better than I would have, Zack always fights me when I try to trim him down.

Its like when you take the kid to the doctor, if Mom takes the kid to the doctor they learn how to work you. I've seen a lot of kids go into the dr with mom and throw a huge tantrum and i've seen those same kids get taken to the dr with Dad and are perfect angels. I guess its just one of those things.

But I think I might let him try again in a few weeks since he wants to. I'm not going to fight him on it. I mean Zachary is most comfortable with him doing it (he's not even that comfortable with the groomer). And if it builds Zacks confidence than great.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Well he would have been very upset with me if I had done it. Being 9 months pregnant and supposed to be taking it easy. But to be honest he did much better than I would have, Zack always fights me when I try to trim him down.

Its like when you take the kid to the doctor, if Mom takes the kid to the doctor they learn how to work you. I've seen a lot of kids go into the dr with mom and throw a huge tantrum and i've seen those same kids get taken to the dr with Dad and are perfect angels. I guess its just one of those things.

But I think I might let him try again in a few weeks since he wants to. I'm not going to fight him on it. I mean Zachary is most comfortable with him doing it (he's not even that comfortable with the groomer). And if it builds Zacks confidence than great.
I hear you!

And anything to boost the SE I am with you!! Also it saves $$ never a bad thing!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hear you!

And anything to boost the SE I am with you!! Also it saves $$ never a bad thing!

That is true, and I won't deny it with the new baby $ is going to be tight for awhile (I can't believe the cost of diapers)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts