Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, long post, but there's a lot of details..lol

Toy, 17 weeks old. My wife is a teacher and the plan was to get a dog right after school let out so we'd have time to get some training in and establish routines. We got him at 8 weeks old in June and everything went really well for the most part. He was sleeping through the night in his crate after the third night and has cried at night maybe three times since then, always stopping after a bit and going back to sleep. We gradually worked him up to 5 hours in his crate in the weeks before school started back up.

When school started a month ago we set up a pen for him with about 40 square feet, with his crate and pads inside. He did fine for the first couple weeks. I check on him via the Furbo camera every couple hours and he would sleep until noon or so, then kinda change positions, play with his treat toys a bit, and eventually just chillin on his bean bag, watching TV or chewing on a toy.

The past 10 days or so he's sleeping later. He's still doing his treat puzzles and eating his Kong peanut butter, etc, but later in the day he's sleeping more. I know he's settling in and doesn't seem as upset as he did initially, but since he started sleeping later he's waking up in the middle of the night. In the evenings after we're home we play with him A LOT. We take him on walks, let him sprint or chase him in the yard, etc. We don't let him nap. We keep him engaged and active until probably 9:00 after the kids are in bed, then he'll jump up on the couch and start his normal process of getting settled. If we keep him active any longer it takes a lot longer to get him settled down. So normally we'll put him in the crate when we go to bed, which is 10:30 or so.

So now these past 10 days or so he's waking up and whining anywhere from 3:30 to 5:00am. My alarm goes off at 5:40 so I'm ok with anything after 5:20 or so, but before these recent change, I could get up as late as 6:15 and he would be like a zombie when I let him out and on weekends he would sleep until as late as 8:00. So now we're letting him whine for long periods so as not to give in and establish a habit but a few times we've just had to get up after it goes on for the better part of an hour. We'll let him out, he potty's, chews on a few things, then he'll lay down on the couch again and we'll put him back in the crate. He'll usually last until 5 something.

I'm fairly certain this is happening because he's sleeping too much during the day, and it's difficult to get him normal on the weekend as well. We've gone to a lot of extra effort to exercise him so he'll sleep, and just because he's been a good boy at home all day (not a single accident) and he deserves some attention. I'm just not sure what to do here. The only thing I can think to try is to interrupt his sleep more during the day. I did buy one of these. Unfortunately it's not something I can operate when away from the house but it does have a feature where it'll automatically move around for 10 minutes every half hour for up to 8 hours. There's room for it to move around in his pen area. He does like it when I drive it around the house but it's not something he'll give 100% attention to all the time.

https://mygobone.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

Coming home and taking him out isn't an option, there's no family around to walk him, and we don't live in a place that has dog walking services as far as I know. This really was my main fear when we decided to get a dog and it's the primary reason I've never had one. I just don't know how to get him good and tired unless I just bug the crap out of him until 11pm every night, but it then would take another half hour to get him into his zonked out sleepy mode where he'll lay down right away in the crate.

Sorry for the long post. I've been thinking about this a lot and I've had a lot of interrupted sleep! LOL

·
Premium Member
6,297 Posts
What you have is a puppy, I have had 7 poodles, 6 toys and one mini, three I got when they were adults, the rest between 17 and 22 weeks none of my puppies slept through the night until they were between 9 to 11 months.

Toy dogs have small bladders some cannot make it through the night without peeing. Only one of my toy poodle pups did I have to work extra hard to wear out, physically and mentally which included long walks and brain games.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Puppies sleep a LOT just cause he's sleeping most of the day away does not mean he can't sleep at night, in fact I would be careful about how much you are exercising your puppy so young. Walks shouldn't be too long and not too much forced exercise.
It's probably just the change in routine that he's out of sync on. Give it time and he should settle back in.

·
Premium Member
22,892 Posts
If you get up to take him out at night for a potty break make it a very business like potty break. Pick him up, take him out, watch for him to potty and bring him back in the house. No talking (unless you use a potty command) and no petting. After that or in lieu of the potty break I would just ignore him. Once you make him think that whining will get you to interact with him in any but the most cursory way he will continue it. That whining will have become self reinforcing and rewarding.

Don't worry so much about him oversleeping during the day. His sleep needs are like that of a human infant/toddler aged child. If you want to be sure he is really tired at night make sure some of your play is obedience training. Thinking burns more energy than running like a wild sprite. I also wouldn't go crazy trying to interrupt his day time sleep. We all know the saying that it is best to let sleeping dogs lie, right?

·
Registered
6,572 Posts
I don’t think his waking up in the middle of the night has anything to do with sleeping too much during the day.

You’ve had good advice. Don’t exercise Him too much when you’re home. Let him go at his own pace. Even if he naps a little when you’re home, he will sleep at night.

Do as Lily said when’s you take him out to pee. Make it really, really boring. He’ll learn to not want it anymore.

You’re doing such a good job, time is on your side !

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for the advice!

We were home for four days in a row and the last two nights he didn't whine. This morning I got up at 6:15 and he was still laying there when I got to his crate, albeit with open eyes but I'm sure that's just because he heard me coming. He did his normal "stretch over and over before making it the two feet out of the crate" routine..lol.

I didn't mean to imply that we've been rousing him from naps to force him awake. I was just saying we keep him engaged after we get home until time for bed.

This pup is HIGH ENERGY though. People see the videos I take and they're all shocked at how active he is. He eats and drinks appropriately but he's got a serious motor. I might share a few videos here. It's pretty entertaining.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Thank you all for the advice!

We were home for four days in a row and the last two nights he didn't whine. This morning I got up at 6:15 and he was still laying there when I got to his crate, albeit with open eyes but I'm sure that's just because he heard me coming. He did his normal "stretch over and over before making it the two feet out of the crate" routine..lol.

I didn't mean to imply that we've been rousing him from naps to force him awake. I was just saying we keep him engaged after we get home until time for bed.

This pup is HIGH ENERGY though. People see the videos I take and they're all shocked at how active he is. He eats and drinks appropriately but he's got a serious motor. I might share a few videos here. It's pretty entertaining.
The high energy will taper off once he is older. But brain games tires high energy puppies more than a 5 mile walk. Yours is still very young, so no 5 mile walk for him :) mine loves hide and seek (his fave), find the treat under the cup and learning new tricks. I am sure there’s more that the members here can recommend.

Good to hear he is starting to come around.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The high energy will taper off once he is older. But brain games tires high energy puppies more than a 5 mile walk. Yours is still very young, so no 5 mile walk for him :) mine loves hide and seek (his fave), find the treat under the cup and learning new tricks. I am sure there’s more that the members here can recommend.

Good to hear he is starting to come around.
He has a couple treat puzzles he likes and I'm to start working on some training to stay and come because I can't trust him near cow patties..lol.

Do you actually hide from him or are you hiding an item for him to find? We tried the treat under the cup one day but he literally had JUST stopped freaking out at the cup in general. I had never seen him so scared of something as he was of that red SOLO cup...until I got the Go Bone.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I try to google and forum search the things I ask but being a first time dog owner I'm new to all these phases and things and end up with a lot of questions.

·
Registered
586 Posts
My kids actually hide and call him once, I do give a cue word “ready”. I don’t think he is finding them through scent since he doesn’t have his nose on the floor but through sound. If he seems “lost”, I get the kids to call out his name again. He is smart and knows all the hiding spot so we have made it more challenging. My son hid in his crate once, milo didn’t expect that.

Cups in the beginning can be scary since it also flips and can be startling. I taught Milo that using a clear cup first, then we moved on to solid cups. We started with 2 cups and now doing 5 cups, he does use his nose here.

what I like about poodles is how fast they learn, only a few repetition and they get it.

He has a couple treat puzzles he likes and I'm to start working on some training to stay and come because I can't trust him near cow patties..lol.

Do you actually hide from him or are you hiding an item for him to find? We tried the treat under the cup one day but he literally had JUST stopped freaking out at the cup in general. I had never seen him so scared of something as he was of that red SOLO cup...until I got the Go Bone.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I try to google and forum search the things I ask but being a first time dog owner I'm new to all these phases and things and end up with a lot of questions.

·
Premium Member
22,892 Posts
Oh brain games for your little ball of energy for sure. Basic obedience is a set of brain games, but if you find that boring then teach tricks. Pay for good attention and execution with a portion of his regular food.

Reactions: PJR202

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It never crossed my mind to try clear cups first. We had only tried with the red because it was the night he first freaked out.

Last night I taught him "come" and he picked it up in just a few minutes. By the time we stopped for the evening he was doing it from across the house, and I could go hide and he would come find me. It was a pretty rewarding experience. I also called it out this morning when he was in the back of the house and he came flying in to the living room where I was. He slept until 2 minutes before my alarm went off this morning.

I think we have some clear cups I can try. He got a lot of treats (broken up smaller) last night. I told my wife a lot of people use pieces of kibble. She said he's too spoiled by this point and won't take them. I'm hoping the actual action of receiving something for the work done will be the primary factor on whether he takes it as a reward. Or maybe I just need to make sure he's hungry so the kibble is enticing. Or I could use some bits of chicken?

He does learn very quickly though. When he gets his potty treat we try things and he currently will lay down, roll over, sit, shake, turn in a circle, stand up on two feet and stay up, and now we're working on standing up and turning around while on two feet. Sometimes he gets in a rush and gets mixed up so he'll just reach out his paw, drop down and roll over all in one big sloppy motion. It's like "I'm confused so I'll just do them all." LOL

·
Premium Member
22,892 Posts
Even Lily who just turned ten yesterday will happily take little tiny treats that are like kibble. All she really cares about is an acknowledgement that she was right on something, not what the paycheck is. The problem with paying a young puppy with gold is that the only better thing is platinum. You have no where to go if at some time you need to reinforce something with a really good reward. I usually use string cheese as my currency with my dogs, but I slice each piece into little pieces somewhere between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick and then I break those into halves. I might give four or five of those pieces for an excellent execution of a behavior, but will be cheap with only one or two if I got a slow or sloppy response. And that pay scale is for adult standards.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts