Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My senior angel has kidney failure and heart murmur. Hasn’t eaten in such a long time but if I get anything down her she vomits
I’ve tried cerenia, maxalon, recently vet gave me mirtazapine which bombed her out yesterday 7.5mg
Currently syringing Royal canin recovery
I’m heartbroken watching this food refusal daily
Not to mention how much food I have tried which is thrown out.
I’m just at a loss
My other baby has IBS both are rescues 11 and 12

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
I’m sorry too. I’ve even through this a few years back with my elderly cats looking for anything that will tempt them to eat and keep it down. It’s definitely time to speak to your vet about options.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Does your vet have any thoughts on why she's not eating, and how long has this been happening?

With my Holly, she'd had no health issues but started refusing meals one day. After struggling for some days to find anything she might eat, we went to the vet. Cerenia didn't help. They suggested an ultrasound and referred us to an Internal Med vet. The ultrasound gave us the reason. We had to decide what to do from there.

Sending strength and comfort your way, and hoping it's not needed..

·
Registered
34 Posts
My vet told us that the only medication approved specifically for appetite stimulation is Entyce. It's expensive ($85 per vial), but it works. We use about one vial per month (two 4-day courses), and Coco keeps her weight on.
And it is the only thing that now works for our 11.5 yr old female Spoo. She has battled inflammatory bowel disease all her life and we've gone through multiple special diets and rounds of metronidazole and mirtazepine. Then since last winter she's been getting plasmacytomas, and Entyce is all that works.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Have you tried kefir? I have used this on the dogs and it is quite useful. It has 32 probiotics. While it does not increase appetite, it does balance the digestive system, which could be helpful.

·
Premium Member
23,228 Posts
I am sorry you are going through this, but I hope you can face up to the idea that she may well be telling you she is ready to go. BF's previous GSD stopped eating (would not even eat bologna or American cheese) and at that point I just could see in his eyes and his spirit that he was done. He died a few days later on his own.

The decision to let a beloved companion animal leave is hard but generous when things have become so limiting for them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am resigned to the fact that we will probably lose almost 12 yr old Coco in the next year. But for now she still reliably eats bits of hamburger, steak or rotisserie chicken, but not enough in total to maintain her normal body weight. So she gets a course of Entyce (capromorelin) and then is good for another 2-4 weeks.
She sleeps more but asks for petting and still loves to go to the dog park each day. She walks from person to person getting petted and then waits by my husband until Lewis the 15 month pup is also ready to go.
She doesn't play as much but always greets me at the door with one of her stuffed animals. She sleeps on my bed each night and cuddles with me in the morning. She doesn't seem to be in pain. When she tells us that life is no longer enjoyable, we will let her go. But it's not that time yet.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
I'm so sorry you're having to face this sad time. I would talk to your vet and get a little input. It does sound like her organs are shutting down and that hard to accept time is approaching. It's always hard to come to terms.

·
Registered
10,294 Posts
With humans, when their organs are not functioning anymore...at least not well and they're approaching the time to die, they too lose their appetite and thirst. At some point it is advised to not push them to eat because they actually don't feel well if they eat. They feel bloated and awful or have pain. Things just aren't working right anymore. That's why talking to your vet to get a feeling if this is indeed what's going on or not. Maybe it's not. But to worry about feeding when the dog really doesn't want it or can't digest it, feels crummy, maybe that would ease your mind if you knew. If it were me, I'd put the dog down if that's the case. But it really is an individual thing...where you know your own dog best. I sure do sympathize with you.

·
Super Moderator
5,293 Posts
If it's not her teeth, it sounds like she might be letting go. And even if it is her teeth, sometimes you reach a point where a beloved companion's health isn't good enough for any further interventions.

I'm sending you heaps of love and compassion during this awful and sacred time. Fill her up with your love. ❤

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update on my beautiful grey angel
She crossed the rainbow bridge Monday 23rd September
Our hearts are so broken I can’t stop the tears
She fought so very hard to stay but with nothing to eat or drink and vomiting up anything I syringed her eyes told us she was tired
One last kiss from her and she went to sleep
The pain is unbearable and even my other angel is grieving he’s never been apart from her
My husband and I have huge holes in our hearts but she’s watching us now and running free

·
Registered
7,269 Posts
Delia, I’m so sorry. This is such sad news.

·
Registered
12,500 Posts
I am so sorry. Hold each other close and be kind to yourselves - only time can ease the pain of grief.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
So sorry your baby is at the end, it is so difficult to let them go. One of the symptoms of end stage kidney failure is lack of appetite. Hopefully you will have a little more time together.

·
Premium Member
23,228 Posts
Very hard and sad for you but I hope your vision of her running free and happy provides you comfort.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts