Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our mini-poo Beau has been eating pretty much the same diet since we brought him home from the breeder three weeks ago. (He's 6-1/2 months old now.) He gets raw in the morning, either a chicken neck or wing alternating with 1/2 a Nature's Variety Raw frozen beef patty. He mostly eats that up pretty well. However, his evening meal has always been about 2 oz Taste of the Wild Buffalo (a dry kibble), which he used to gobble right down, but for the last few days he has left it mostly untouched.

Are changes in eating habits like this common? Might he just be bored and ready for a change? Or should I start to worry?

·
Registered
562 Posts
You know Mister was getting the same combo, raw one meal and kibble the next. He would usually only eat about half of the kibble and always gobble up the raw. He might be telling you that he wants all raw.
In the end i ended up changin his kibble and going out of town so i put him back on kibble completely and havent gone back since ive been back home. I also think he has a chicken allergy so ill hold off till i can find some good beef or something to give him.

I would say dont worry about it. He wont starve himself unless something is wrong. If he isnt throwing up or having diarrhea then just let him eat what he wants. Or maybe give him all raw one day and all kibble the next day.

Kibble takes upwards of 12 hours to digest and raw only takes like 4 to 6 or something like that. So if he still has kibble in his tummy when you give him the raw it might be upsetting him. The kibble can actually ferment and rot in the stomach i think.

Oh and switching up his kibble wouldnt hurt either. I switched Mister to Orijen 6 fish instead of the normal adult and now he eats all of it everytime. They do get bored with their food if its always the same.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I also think some adolescent males go though a period where they really don't care all that much about food and aren't the greatest eaters. All of my guys have gone though that and then about 18 months decide that food is VERY important. The girls never seemed to do that though. Unless he is really ill, he won't starve himself. Vinnie has only ever eaten raw - Karin fed him raw before I got him. I did bloodwork on him this week and it was about as perfect as bloodwork can be - so no worries there.

Mister - how large is the Orijen kibble?

·
Registered
478 Posts
My mini is on all TOW. He goes thru stages like that from time to time. Sometime he gobbles it down. Sometimes he won't eat at all. I think it just depends on how he's feeling that day. He is never sick or anything. I just figured it was normal. I go through stages like that myself so I thought why not him.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
It might be that your puppy is telling you that he would rather go all raw. I've heard of dogs that will not touch kibble after being introduced to raw. Or maybe he just wants another type of kibble. It is good to switch things up, so I might try either different kind of TOFW or go to a completely different grain free food like Orijens, Evo or Instinct. You could also try to add a little left over home cooked or canned to TOTW. I bet he would enjoy that too. :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Our mini-poo Beau has been eating pretty much the same diet since we brought him home from the breeder three weeks ago. (He's 6-1/2 months old now.) He gets raw in the morning, either a chicken neck or wing alternating with 1/2 a Nature's Variety Raw frozen beef patty. He mostly eats that up pretty well. However, his evening meal has always been about 2 oz Taste of the Wild Buffalo (a dry kibble), which he used to gobble right down, but for the last few days he has left it mostly untouched.

Are changes in eating habits like this common? Might he just be bored and ready for a change? Or should I start to worry?
I had my dog on raw and after a while they figure out raw just tastes better than the processed stuff and they stop eating dogfood all together. They would wait for the raw and the kibble sat in the bowl for days.... now if he stops eating all together, then I'd be worried.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had my dog on raw and after a while they figure out raw just tastes better than the processed stuff and they stop eating dogfood all together. They would wait for the raw and the kibble sat in the bowl for days.... now if he stops eating all together, then I'd be worried.
Heh, so feeding raw is one-way street? Must be an evil plot by the butchers to sell more yucky chicken necks. :) I'm going to try spicing up his TOTW with some chicken soup tonight, but I have a sneaking suspicion he's too smart to be so easily fooled.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts