Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/17/us/mississippi-police-dog-shelter.html?smprod=nytcore-ipad&smid=nytcore-ipad-share

Boy howdy, was I upset to read this! I have always been ride or die with my dogs and I’m a civilian partner. I believe a higher duty is owed to a partner like, Ringo. If you can’t manage, reach out for goodness sake. Don’t put your partner on death row. Not a bad idea for government entities to think about vet insurance for their canine retirees. That seems only fair for these canine heroes. Glad Ringo has returned to his true home and partner.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
That was a sad situation for sure. I am happy Ringo made it back home so to speak. It reminds me of other stories where military dogs are separated from their handlers for various reasons. We owe these dogs security with people who treat them right in their later years in return for all of the hard work they do in their prime.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Ugh, I don't understand that at all. Why would a officer want to turn the dog in after having him as a partner for 9 years? That makes no sense. If he din't want the dog he should have notified his superiors so the dog could be placed in a appropriate home. That is just so sad. I am glad Ringo is now in a home.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
I just can't understand why......even when he was asked "why?" the officer had no response.
Totally heartless if he has no defense. He deserved to be demoted!!!

Reactions: Mfmst

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
i read about this on twitter - but no one knew why the officer did what he did. i wondered if it was a family issue. maybe kids or spouse had a problem with the dog - something he can't or won't talk about in order not to embarrass his family. whatever, i'm pretty sure the dog forgives him. i'm glad he ended up in a real home.

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have thought of that, patk. There are of lot of heartbreaking situations that can cause someone to surrender their dog to a shelter. Demotion is such a serious sanction, I can only assume his supervisors couldn’t find any mitigating factors.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
I agree, as sad as it is he just went about it wrong. I'mont so sure he deserved a demotion on it. Perhaps he supervisors should have given him an option of not taking the dog maybe they didn't do that. In any case the dog is safe and he didn't just dump it in the street.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Sad story that ends well.

The only reason I can think about for this behavior, is that this officer, although he worked with dogs, did not like them, or did not consider them as partners.

In the old days, a dog was just a dog. They were put to sleep at the slightest offense. They were considered just a little above objects, but not much. Not by everyone, but by a lot of people.

So my guess is this officer thought of his dog as a working tool, and had no intention of caring for him now that he had no use for him or paying for his care.

That’s what you do when your car costs ypu too much money, you get rid of it.

If he had cared a little at least, he would have found a way to get a good family for him. There is no excuse for not doing so.

This police officer is not a good person and doesn’t care about animals.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
He deserves a demotion. There is no excuse for turning it over to the shelter. He could have contacted his department and said he did not want the dog. If it is a family situation he could say I need to get rid of the dog because. There is not excuse for what he did, he is just a mean person and I hope Karma gets him in the end for being so callous.

Come to think about it what kind of life did the por dog have while being his partner, when he was not at work.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
I have thought of that, patk. There are of lot of heartbreaking situations that can cause someone to surrender their dog to a shelter. Demotion is such a serious sanction, I can only assume his supervisors couldn’t find any mitigating factors.
yes. i think he was not a thoughtful or especially kind person. but i think it odd that he did not try to find a better situation for the dog than he ended up with. which is what makes me think there might have been some domestic issue he did not want to discuss and have it become public. just hypothesizing, though. no way to know for sure. bottom line is that the dog is better off elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Another thought I had was that he set such a terrible example for fellow K9 handlers that it was bad for morale, a stain on their unit and hella public relations image for the police department. He may be remaining silent on the advice of his union representative. While we may never know his unworthy partner’s motive, I choose to believe that Ringo truly has been rescued.

·
Premium Member
5,614 Posts
i don't disagree re his demotion. i just thought his determined silence was curious.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Being I don't know all the circumstances I won't judge. But I would not have him in the K9unit as I think if your going to be in a K9 unit you have a responsibility and a lifetime commitment to your "partner". If you cannot or are not willing to do that you should be in a different unit. Not sure if that is considered a demotion. Perhaps that is the case when you sign on to a K9 unit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts