Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everything is a game to Happy: brushing, bathing, wiping wet paws, ear cleaning - it doesn't matter what it is. And that makes the object of the activity a toy to be snatched and.played keep away with. It would be mildly frustrating if it weren't so cute. She doesn't really resist anything, just turns it into a game. I let her have the bristle brush while I take the slicker to her. That seems to satisfy her until I'm through. Besides food, what do you use to distract your silly SPOO?
1598797273004.jpg

·
Premium Member
23,386 Posts
That is a very cute picture. I have two types of treats I use while grooming. Yeah its a bribe to keep them chill on the table but I don't worry too much about that. The treats are freeze dried liver (only used during grooming) and also very high value but not exclusively for grooming is chicken jerky.

Reactions: Phoebe’sMom

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
During my pathetic attempts at covid grooming, nothing would have distracted Peggy except food. I was that bad. Lol. My husband held string cheese while I worked.

I do find that Peggy is more tolerant of my minor day-to-day grooming efforts if she is promptly rewarded afterwards. This is disgusting, but cleaning her eyes is a perfect example: She tolerates it fine because she knows I'm going to let her lick her eye goops from my fingers.

I actually mentioned this here a while back, and apparently I'm not alone! Other members chimed in to say that yep, the anticipation of a goopy reward is an excellent distraction from the discomfort of having a poodle's eyes cleaned.

·
Premium Member
23,386 Posts
Lily has always wanted to take back her eye goobers. I sort of figure since she made them she can have them.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Misha loves eye goop especially when it is dried out. He also lacks a serious bone but I have had the most luck with carefully timing my grooming and being very stern and persistent. He always gets brushed right before his long walk or park visit so he is associates it with fun stuff. More intensive grooming I try to schedule after the vigorous activity when he is more relaxed and exhausted. Though then there is the risk they will fall asleep on the table. He kept doing that the other day while I was trimming the topknot. I hold his jaw very still in my left hand and he kept going slack and sliding backwards! Now that is a relaxed dog.

Misha is incredibly sensitive and requires a very gentle brush on his legs. He makes it very clear that the non tipped slickers are indeed pricky. I found it much easier when I switched to a softer brush for these spots.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Aw so cute! Rory is pretty much the same way- so playful! I love it but it can be annoying. I have been giving him bully sticks to distract him and hold him still while I brush him out. That makes it easier because he is so focused on chewing he doesn't try to leave. I also have taught him a head down command- where he rests his chin on whatever I tell him to. I usually have him rest his chin on my legs while I'm sitting so I can do minor grooming things like fix his hair, wipe his eyes etc.

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
Thank you to Happy's Dad for this inspiration! Peggy's monthly grooming was cancelled, with no indication of when she'll be rescheduled, and the two-brush trick is really helping! She "examines" one while I use the other.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts