Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's something that's been bugging me.

I recently joined a couple breed matching facebook groups for fun. I figured it would be a good way to learn about peoples' experience with breeds that I know little about. The groups work like this... people give a description of all the qualities they're looking for and if they have any breed type preferences, and then commenters give suggestions on breeds they think are a good fit. Many of the posts look like this:

Shedding: no shedding
Tolerance for DA/HA: none
Prey drive: low to moderate
Trainability: very intelligent and trainable
Size: 30-60 lbs
Energy: Moderate to Active
Want a good hiking and jogging partner who is active but also has an off switch
Breed preference: NO POODLES

And I see this all the time! It is incredibly frustrating. I think they say no poodles because everywhere they ask, they are directed to poodles because they're literally exactly describing a poodle! It makes me want to pull my hair out. They seem to know that a poodle is a perfect fit but still are adamant they don't want a poodle!

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose if anyone recommended an Irish Water Spaniel they would complain about the rat tail.
Yes. Usually people will recommend one of the other poodle-like breeds, but these breeds often are not as good of a fit for various reasons.

·
Registered
Fenris (spoo), Sushi (old grumpy cat)
152 Posts
Those were really my requirements when looking for a dog breed without the "no poodle". I was recommended a poodle and here I am, a week away from picking up my standard.

But I've still been given **** by some people in my life for "getting a poodle" and/or shocked "I don't see YOU with a poodle" or the famous "Aren't they yappy?" which is what this is, people making an opinion based on stereotypes. The most hilarious response was a "I don't see you with a little dog"... me: "Uh, he'll probably weight around 60 lbs when grown." "They come in those sizes?" But I am proud to say some of the people I educated about poodles have already come around.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I used to HATE poodles, I thought they where fru fru , unable to work, low energy, dumb, too high matience. Even though they checked EVERY box for what I wanted in a dog. I just didn't want to be seen with a poodle. Yeah I was the dumb one.

Now I'm dead set on a poodle, I adore everything about them (yes, I've even grown on that "ugly" show cut). Poodles rule.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I used to HATE poodles, I thought they where fru fru , unable to work, low energy, dumb, too high matience. Even though they checked EVERY box for what I wanted in a dog. I just didn't want to be seen with a poodle. Yeah I was the dumb one.

Now I'm dead set on a poodle, I adore everything about them (yes, I've even grown on that "ugly" show cut). Poodles rule.
Yeah I know what you mean. I think people have little exposure to well bred poodles. I certainly had never seen one in person before I got my own. It made me apprehensive about it because I'd seen so many that were poor examples.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I get unpleasant comments often enough about being a “poodle person” and I don’t get it! I guess it’s the “frou frou” look of them, meanwhile poodles are so smart and athletic! Not to mention I would never comment to somebody on how much I don’t like their dog choice, we all like what we like!!

·
Registered
731 Posts
I'll admit I thought Poodles were sissy dogs for rich people with like ten attendants specific for the dog itself before we got Fluffy. And I had no idea you could do grooming at home without messing the dog up. There's also those poorly-bred, snappy little dogs that you don't want to go within 5 ft of. So I understand where these people are coming from. I'm blonde and curly haired, not to mention a woman, so people assume I'm dumb all the time--so it grates on my nerves even more when people assume things based on stereotype (not that I don't do it from time to time, obviously).

A little off-topic, but honestly, in my experience the best way to prove these kinds of people wrong is to be kind and empathetic (that is, non-judgemental) and show them that poodles are that much more of a dog than what's on TV and such. Ask them why they think xyz, and kindly point out an example that shows that xyz isn't always the case instead of shaking your head and rolling your eyes--you can do that inside, but getting defensive isn't the best way of convincing someone.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Before coming across some well bred poodles, All I've ever seen is those tiny little ill-bred poodles who look more like gremlins vs. dogs. I didn't even know they had standards- and yes, I was the person who was put off by their haircut (duh, you can cut a dogs fur).. Anyways, most poodle "haters" just need to see a good looking poodle

Reactions: kontiki and Liz

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I've been put off by how judgmental breed snobs can be. I've helped out at PWD water trials, and you've never heard a group bad mouth poodles and poodle breeders more than PWD owners. I just don't get it - the breed characteristics are 99% the same!

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Drives me NUTS. Literally got tense just reading that. Poodles clearly need an image boost.

I wasn't a poodle enthusiast when we decided to get one. But I was a realist. And when I couldn't get my husband onboard with my desire to have a GSD, all signs pointed to poodle. It was a total no-brainer.

I've had friends ask for breed input on Facebook, and I'm consistently the only one suggesting a poodle in a sea of doodle recommendations.

I think I need to assemble a good set of photos, of beautiful poodles in doodley haircuts, and start saying something vague like, "How about these? They're super athletic but also enthusiastic couch potatoes. Lowest possible shedders. Non-slobbery and non-stinky. Great silly sense of humour. Infinitely trainable. Intuitive and kind."

Then I can just slip the "poodle" thing in when I inevitably get a "What kind of doodle is that???" response. That's pretty much what happens on our walks with Peggy.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been put off by how judgmental breed snobs can be. I've helped out at PWD water trials, and you've never heard a group bad mouth poodles and poodle breeders more than PWD owners. I just don't get it - the breed characteristics are 99% the same!
Wow! I never would have guessed that! I feel like I'm a bit of a dog breed enthusiast. I love learning about different lineages and the amazing evolution of different breeds. I may have breeds that aren't for me, but I feel like the more I learn the more appreciation I have for different types of dogs. I would have thought PWD people would feel kinship with poodles. I wonder where those feelings stem from. Very strange!

·
Registered
658 Posts
I think an effective response would be photos and videos of awesome poodles (maybe not in a conti or dyed pink 😊) doing awesome stuff, with words like “then you won’t like this dog” “or this dog” or “this world champion agility star” and end with “because they are ALL poodles!”

That might open a few minds.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Drives me NUTS. Literally got tense just reading that. Poodles clearly need an image boost.

I wasn't a poodle enthusiast when we decided to get one. But I was a realist. And when I couldn't get my husband onboard with my desire to have a GSD, all signs pointed to poodle. It was a total no-brainer.

I've had friends ask for breed input on Facebook, and I'm consistently the only one suggesting a poodle in a sea of doodle recommendations.

I think I need to assemble a good set of photos, of beautiful poodles in doodley haircuts, and start saying something vague like, "How about these? They're super athletic but also enthusiastic couch potatoes. Lowest possible shedders. Non-slobbery and non-stinky. Great silly sense of humour. Infinitely trainable. Intuitive and kind."

Then I can just slip the "poodle" thing in when I inevitably get a "What kind of doodle is that???" response. That's pretty much what happens on our walks with Peggy.
That's a good idea with the photo collage. I always tell people that poodles will look just like a doodle if they cut them that way, but also try to stress that the reason most poodles have shaved faces is because it is lower maintenance and keeps the face cleaner. That often seems to make them think about it more. I think people tend to think poodle faces being shaved is frou frou.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Poodles with their face shaved look so dapper and handsome! Not frou frou!

.. could totally tell somebody a poodle in a teddy cut was a doodle.. Grooming Your Poodle

Reactions: Liz

·
Registered
121 Posts
gotta say, I LOVE a good scruffy poodle as well! Their little beards! Heck yes

·
Premium Member
6,692 Posts
I have suggested poodles to folks, but they want a real dog.
I will have nothing but poodles and yes even my littles are real dogs

·
Registered
121 Posts
.. Poodles are as real as it GETS!

Flyball, Agility, Dock diving, lure coursing, herding, schutzhund? What other dog has the temperment to do all that, and do it well?

Standard poos do...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts