Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well just when I thought we were making good headway, Renn acts like a bit of a tool, then a big time tool. We went for our afternoon walk and I think so did everyone else. We started out well, came across a neighbors visitor walking their beagle, got a bit excited but generally held position. Then out about to go past another home and I spot their German shepherd running loose on their front lawn, didn't want a confrontation so I turned around to go back where I came from. Came across a family 3 kids all on bikes riding in circles while waiting on their parents to catch up. Renn growls and gives a bark so I walk into a driveway, talk to him tell him its just bike blah blah. He sits but gives a bark here and there. Not too bad. Then my daughter comes walking our excitable cairn, I tell her about the loose dog and she turns and walks with us. Just then we pass the beagle again and within seconds another family walking their german shepherd puppy sho is tugging away and gives a few barks. They comment how nice Renn walks, LOL then my daughter stops while her dog potties and the neighbors dog next to my house is running the fence line barking his fool head off. Renn couldn't handle it any longer and start barking at me jumping up and down acting crazy. Yelps a few times as he pinched his collar good by acting up. Continues I puff him with air, he begins to come back to his senses, I tell him heel we had to stop a few times even though we were close to our driveway and door. Made him sit tell him its ok if the other dog wants to bark, neighbor has leaf blower out and chases his do! I thought I was going to have a nice peaceful walk. I felt like I had a bucking horse there for a few minutes. Guess we have more work to do.

thanks for hearing me vent! LOL

·
Premium Member
3,330 Posts
That was a lot of stimulation for any dog. Noelle is a mini, so she used to do the crocodile death spin, rather than leap like a bronco, but I've had more than one walk turn out that way. Sorry it was a tough one. Remember the look at that game. That game saved me more than once. Gentle hugs. You're so not alone.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Well that is some real world hard proofing, just when you don't want it! I don't always walk my dogs if I think things are going to be too hectic. We don't have sidewalks and there are very limited escape routes when things go south so if it is a time of day that I think will be overloaded with nutty stuff we play in the yard instead.

I am sure things will continue to get better. Renn is still a youngster.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Just tell yourself "This too will soon end....." ahhhh, puppyhood! LOL!

·
Premium Member
9,621 Posts
That is a lot of real world distractions for a pup. I know the busy times for walkers, bikers and runners in our neighborhood and also avoided “rush hour” in the beginning. Remember tension travels down the leash, so try to be relaxed. Worse case you can park Renn and yourself out of reach and calmly narrate the action while the parade passes. It will get easier.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL Thanks. We were doing the look at me, parked in a driveway and all that really kept us together. It was just the finale, just steps way from home, and he just couldn't handle it. My neighborhood also has no sidewalks and is usually pretty quiet. I guess the nicer weather brought people out during "our" time. He really has been good sometimes we run into a person with two sporting dogs a GSP and Weimaraner and they walk ahead of their owners but stay in their space. With the REnn is fine, curious but does what he is suppose too. We will get there, I ws just taken off guard and maybe I tensed up too, I don't do loose dogs well and Renn does not seem to like kids. Well he doesn't know what to think of them. Since we have no where to meet kids, it is what it is for now. I don't want someones kid running up to us so I avoid, not the best route but I don't want to take a chance.

·
Premium Member
22,972 Posts
Mufar can you take Renn to a park with a playground and benches where you could sit outside his reaction threshold and do LAT? That could help and perhaps once you know a couple of the families talk to them about having the kids play closer to you without running up to him.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No no parks nearby, so he really just hasn't had the exposure. Some of my neighbors a leary because he has barked at them even as a puppy. He doesn't like fast movements. We do do the LAT when we walk . I did have one family keep their kids back while we hatted and Renn did settle in a sit but I really don't think it would be good to have them come up to him. I did have another run up, he barked at them but since I knew this child well I put Renn in a sit I held the childs hand and he was ok, sniffed wagged and I think wanted to play but at that point she was afraid of him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts