Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting an Apricot miniature poodle. She was just born yesterday. 12-16-20. Her nose color isn’t dark. Will it stay this color or darken? I’d rather get one with dark nose & eye liner

·
Registered
783 Posts
This is just one opinion, but I think it’s too early to tell. Do the parents/grandparents have black leather? If so, the pup likely will.

I do wish breeders would not take these newborn photos. I think dam and puppies need more peace and quiet, less handling and flashing lights. At least for a few days.

·
Premium Member
3,349 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

It is too soon to tell. What does your breeder say about this? I'm unable to copy this information from the breeder site I found it on but they state that the pigmentation may start to darken within a few days, or it may stay pink.

Will the breeder let you change pups with someone else? That seems a bit unusual, especially if the breeder helped you to select the pup with the temperament you were hoping for.

I can tell you too, that even if your pup's nose turns quite dark, it may fade again as they get older. This is usually called snow nose or winter nose. Just as tanned skin will fade without continued exposure, so can a puppy's nose.
This is the transformation of my cream boys nose.

This is what he's settled into. His eyes kept the dark lining and his nose is dark at the fur but is a medium brown out to the end. With fading colors like red, apricot, cream, brown, really almost every poodle color, it's always interesting to see the changes that might come.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I am of the opinion that puppies should be handled and slightly stressed from birth onward. There has been some research on that - afraid I cannot remember the source. Of course poodle puppies are likely to be stressed by tail docking and dewclaw removal, but I am saying that every day each puppy should be picked up and held in various positions, be touched all over, then put back with mom.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts