Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We decided that we have to demonstrate to Normie that he can survive away from home, and, hopefully at the same time, give him a chance to hang out with other dogs.

We were lucky to find a daycare/boarding place that has cameras in the boarding area and places the dogs in small playgroups for free play.

So for the moment, we're going to take him once a week to learn to be part of a group. And if and when he must be boarded, he'll be familiar with the people and place.

I'm sure it was all a bit overwhelming for him, but this is his first day:

·
Registered
Elroy: Standard Poodle
971 Posts
I'll be interested in doing the same when my pup is old enough. In general, what are the price ranges for a day of puppy classes (or doggy day care)? What have you (all) paid for the service?

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Hope the rest of the day went as well as those photos look :)

Reactions: Dianaleez

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
He looks like he is having fun and typical for the resident poodle in a crowd of dogs, they others are chilling and the poodle is up and poised for the next adventure! He is so cute.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He came home as tired as a small child who'd been at day camp.

I'm assuming that we'll be able to judge how he feels about it next week when we drop him off. If he sits down and refuses to go in, we'll know it wasn't fun. And if he wags his tail and runs in, we're good.

We're going to try sending him once a week for the first month, then we'll see.

Tom, price really varies even within communities. It's like groomers.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Normie looks like he is having fun!
I really hope things continue to go well. Keeps us posted. I’m quite interested in his daycare/boarding journey. I hope Normie loves it as much as Bobby does. 😊

·
Registered
783 Posts
He looks like he is having fun and typical for the resident poodle in a crowd of dogs, they others are chilling and the poodle is up and poised for the next adventure! He is so cute.
You hit the poodle poising for the next adventure spot on! Bobby is all about the fun when he is at daycare. He has fun...all...day...long! Lol! They love him there but they say he ever stops. He loves it though. He goes about 2-4 times per month.
He is exhausted when he gets home.

·
Registered
8,402 Posts
Looks like he enjoyed it. He’s adorable hanging with his new buddies.

Reactions: Dianaleez

·
Super Moderator
2,976 Posts
I'm envious you found a good daycare. I've been checking out some of the ones local to me, and I haven't been impressed with the staff to dog ratio. Having had to help break up some nasty dog fights, I really hate seeing rooms with 20 large dogs and only one or two staff members supervising. It's not safe for the staff or the dogs.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You hit the poodle poising for the next adventure spot on! Bobby is all about the fun when he is at daycare. He has fun...all...day...long! Lol! They love him there but they say he ever stops. He loves it though. He goes about 2-4 times per month.
He is exhausted when he gets home.
It was reading about Bobby's daycare love that gave me the final push to give it a try.

Then it was a matter of finding a safe place. It's called "PetSafe Village." That's a start!

They placed him with the calmer small dogs, but he had to spend the day and visit all the small dog groups to see which one he fit into best. I noticed that one of the dogs in the picture looked like a grandpa dog.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I'm envious you found a good daycare. I've been checking out some of the ones local to me, and I haven't been impressed with the staff to dog ratio. Having had to help break up some nasty dog fights, I really hate seeing rooms with 20 large dogs and only one or two staff members supervising. It's not safe for the staff or the dogs.
I was checking out Rover, and the platform is like air b&b for doggy daycare at people's house. Some people were charging 20-30/day and only taking 1-3 dogs/day. You can filter price in locations near you. It might be worth looking into for more intimate at home vibe and lower dog:human ratio

·
Registered
112 Posts
So nice that you found a great place to board Normie! I wish I could do the same, but it's difficult with a 5 pound tpoo. Normie is incredibly handsome....can I ask you who his breeder was? He's a mini, correct?

Also, not sure who knows this, but I wasn't sure if there was a way to send a private message without having the premium subscription?

·
Premium Member
4,441 Posts
Also, not sure who knows this, but I wasn't sure if there was a way to send a private message without having the premium subscription?
To send private messages go to the profile of the person you wish to communicate with by clicking on their name or icon by their post/s.

You'll be taken to the Profile page. Look for

Any communication here is private between the members involved and by invitation only. No special membership is needed but you both/all will need to have the abilities turned on in your account info.

·
Registered
112 Posts
To send private messages go to the profile of the person you wish to communicate with by clicking on their name or icon by their post/s.
View attachment 477718

You'll be taken to the Profile page. Look for

Any communication here is private between the members involved and by invitation only. No special membership is needed but you both/all will need to have the abilities turned on in your account info.
Thank you so much for the detailed instructions Rose n Poos! Incredibly helpful!!

·
Super Moderator
9,704 Posts
Thank you so much for the detailed instructions Rose n Poos! Incredibly helpful!!
Depending on your device and operating system, you might also see this view (I’m on an iPhone). If so, just click the user name and select “Message” from the pop-up window.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So nice that you found a great place to board Normie! I wish I could do the same, but it's difficult with a 5 pound tpoo. Normie is incredibly handsome....can I ask you who his breeder was? He's a mini, correct?

LoveMyRedPoodle, I sent you a private response.

btw, doggy daycare is going well for Normie. He now wags his tail as he goes in.

Their video feed shows Normie in motion the entire time during the 'enrichment' sessions. The older dogs nap and the younger ones form little playgroups. They remind me of toddlers engaged in independent play while side-by-side. Normie seems to have two buddies for chase and sniff play. They take turns being "it" so I'm assuming it's fun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts