Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried everything that usually works, but Normie would rather starve than take his Credelio flea meds.
We can switch to another brand, but I need suggestions.

He's even turning up his nose at poached chicken and peanut butter Credelio, so he means it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Is Credelio a pill small enough for him to swallow whole? If you put on the back of his tongue, close his muzzle, then stroke his throat, then he should automatically swallow it. Only do it if it’s a very tiny pill, though, you don’t want him to choke. Otherwise, you could try to make it interesting to him by waving it around and refusing to let him have it. Inevitably, he’ll bite at it, realize hey, this isn’t bad, and eat it, hopefully. That’s what I typically do with heart worm pills, if Fluffy’s not in the mood to take it. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
22,865 Posts
Our dogs don't universally eat oral meds like bravecto or interceptor and such. I just put them way back at the base of their tongue so they have no choice but to swallow. Note that you should not break up pills that are not meant to be chewable since they may have timed release coatings that if broken will lead to the dose being absorbed much faster than should happen.

Reactions: Dianaleez

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
My dogs get nextgard, my terrier gobbles it up, Renn wants no part of it. So I crumble it into his food add some treats to his food, otherwise I break it into small pieces and put it in back of mouth and stroke for him to swallow, but I have to break it too many times so lately I just crumble it but ZI best have something tasty mixed in. Heartgard he will now eat. At first he didn't want that either.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I love the 'wave it around' approach! I guess it's good to know Normie isn't the only pain in the butt.

I'm going to ask for a topical. The vet suggested these: topical Advantage (flea only), topical Frontline(flea/tick), or topical Advantix(flea, tick, mosquito). Does anyone use Advantix?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Groot would go on a hunger strike for days when I tried giving him oral Bravecto. The only thing that worked for us was cutting it up and sticking it in rotisserie chicken. I would give him lots of pieces (not all with pill in them) in quick succession so he didn’t have time to dissect each one. I’d wrap the ones with the pill in chicken skin and it seemed to help!

Meds are a pain with picky poodles...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts