Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,179 Posts
That is one cute puppy. It looks like you are having a very nice early Christmas at your house. We hope you will join in actively.

I do have one suggestion for you which is to get your pup's face, feet and tail groomed a few times while he is young. Even if you like a fluffy face all poodles should be used to being groomed in the event you change your mind or there is a health reason to groom.

Reactions: Mufar42

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is one cute puppy. It looks like you are having a very nice early Christmas at your house. We hope you will join in actively.

I do have one suggestion for you which is to get your pup's face, feet and tail groomed a few times while he is young. Even if you like a fluffy face all poodles should be used to being groomed in the event you change your mind or there is a health reason to groom.
Thanks for the suggestion. The grooming van comes in two weeks for his first appointment. Our vet says that he's semi-quarantined until he finishes all his shots.

Then we head for puppy school. I'm excited about that and I think that he will be too.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Welcome to you and Normie! Cute name for a cute puppy.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Welcome to you and Norman. He's a cutie!

Wise pro groomers and others have said make sure your puppy has excellent first grooms. In other words, value a good, gentle experience for him over a perfect, impeccabble groom. Especially since his breeder may not have started him at four weeks with clippers.

You can help by gently handling his paws for brief periods. If you have clippers, he can get treats for going near them, and later for hearing them running...

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
Normie is adorable - welcome to the two of you. What a fabulous Christmas treat.

I'm glad you arranged grooming - you can always grow back a fluffy face but now is the best time to get him used to grooming.

·
Premium Member
23,179 Posts
Streetcar your note about touching feet reminds me of more generally touching all parts of a puppy everyday. We touched feet, tail, looked in the mouths for all of our dogs when they were babies. We actually still do it once or twice a week. The outcome is settled during grooming of nails for the most part and also the ability to get any oral meds in far enough back that spitting it out just doesn't happen. I can also retrieve forbidden objects just as they are starting to be swallowed.

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mazel on your new addition,
I have a big bowl of issues with my new little man so I doubt I will be a resource, albeit I have found such dedicated an knowledgeable members. Most should have their Masters in canine behavior. Just wanted ti welcome you.
Cheers,
Stacey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts