Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you taught your dogs any non-standard commands, something that would make another dog cock its head in puzzlement?

My guys all learn "beep-beep". It means pretty much what you'd expect: I'm coming through, and I want the dogs to move out of my way. (A British acquaintance used to firmly call out "shift" for the same purpose.)

My guys also learn "this way". It means "I'm about to change direction, so pay attention and follow me." I realized recently that I never installed a rock solid look-at-me command in Pogo, because I was using "this way" for most situations where I wanted his attention.

·
Super Moderator
5,093 Posts
My husband recently asked what the "Ready" command means so he can start using it. I replied, "Huh?"

Apparently I say it to Peggy A LOT. And I probably said it to my last dog, too.

I studied myself for a few days and realize I use it exactly as it sounds: "Pay attention. A command is coming and I want you to look at me and ready yourself."

·
Premium Member
23,150 Posts
My poodles know tons of things that most pet owners would never teach, most are orders for open and utility obedience along with rally.

Reactions: Rose n Poos

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah mine know lots of extras too like hand signals for come, down and also stay when they are far from me or if it's noisy, watch out (for when I'm going to throw some straw or something), and "what have you got?" This last one is a cue for them to eat the thing really quickly before I get to them, lol

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
615 Posts
I teach my guys "shake" as in shake the water off after a bath. We go in the pet store and the clerk always asks him to "shake" to get a treat, I have to tell them that they need to ask him to "gimme paw".

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Like Lily CD RE, my dog has a large repertoire of both hand signals and voice cues for all the dog sports that we participate in. Those signals and cues would be recognized by others in dog sports, but many would stump the average dog.

PeggyTheParti - "ready" is an cue I use often - especially in competition. I use it the same way you do - my dog is expected to give me head's up attention and be prepared to follow the next hand signal and/or cue.

I have tried to teach Babykins to shake after her bath but I regret it's one trick we haven't accomplished. My tpoo used to shake after a bath on cue and it was so convenient to have her shake off the excess water in the shower.

Probably the one I get the most comments on when I'm running errands with my dog, is walking backwards in heel position. There are times we've been shopping and the aisle is blocked, especially around holidays and there isn't enough room to turn a shopping cart and dog around, so we just back out.

My signal for walking backwards is to lift my left leg as if I'm about to walk forward, but I lift my knee little higher and then step backward. My dog knows when she sees the knee lift that we're about to walk backwards so she follows. No voice command. It's a command in Rally which has become useful in the real world.

·
Super Moderator
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I teach my guys "shake" as in shake the water off after a bath. We go in the pet store and the clerk always asks him to "shake" to get a treat, I have to tell them that they need to ask him to "gimme paw".
It must really surprise the clerks when your dog does the full body shake instead of offering a paw.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Mine know "scooch" to move out of my way, "back off" when Neo's pondering how much Remo wants his food, "pick the other side" when walking. "Shake" after a bath was accidental, but it may be more that I'm timing it well, rather than them knowing the instruction. "Let me look" works usually. "Condo time" gets them racing up the stairs to bed. "Where's your outfit?" sends Remo to nose the bin his leashes and harnesses are kept.

Since I usually talk to them in a conversational way, and since we have a lot of the same conversations lol, they make the association, usually.

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Budge over, Just looking (because Sophy refused to let anyone look at her teeth after I flicked a lump of tartar off with my thumbnail - I have to warn the vet not to poison the cue by attempting to do more than look!), Do you think... (guaranteed to get instant attention, and have Sophy cock her head to one side), Scrummies in the kitchen! (quick way to get dogs in from outside), and many, many more!

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
Use a lot of off the wall commands with Asta - my favorite is "Football" which means move out of the way of the television. My husband started this while watching college football games. Now "Football" is the command we use whenever we want Asta to move out of the way. Pretty funny to command "Football" when we are watching TCM movies.

Another good one is "Knock it off" which I use when he gets too playful and excited with me.
Similar is "That's Enough", usually used when he has been giving me doggie kisses and I want him to stop.

Anyway, we have a whole repetoire of off beat commands - some specific for my bipolar disorder and others that like my example are just for fun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts