Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i am pretty much a "snob" for the solid colors in poodles. I have come across a Few parti breeders that i think are ok. I just still dont like phantom, brindle, or any other pattern. I think part of it is i just Dont like the look of phantoms (nothing personal!), and i think most partis remind me of cows. Cows are not something i want to associate with poodles. :) Im sorry for those who have partis and are offended with my remarks, again nothing against your dogs.

What are everyones views on solid vs. "patterned" dogs? Would you go with a breeder who had patterned dogs? What if they are strickly a parti, or strictly a pantom breeder? What if they have solid, parti, phantom, and any other color?

·
Registered
578 Posts
I saw a very pretty standard parti at the park one day that I really liked. It's the only one I've ever seen in person. I am an amatuer, though.

·
Registered
315 Posts
The only phantoms I like are black and white, and the only partis I like are tuxido black and white or all white with a black head and tail.

Not a fan of the spotted partis, I agree with the cow thing lol, but ones with a couple large black splotches are okay.

I would personally not get a parti from a partibreeder... as I would be nervious it would end up like many other partis... all blotchy with white littered with mini black spots making it look like it was trampled by a hundred muddy cats..

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I love Multicolored Poodles!

The only colors I do not care for are Sable and brindle, they do not look proper on a long coat.

I also prefer Partis with little or no ticking. I am a Black and Tan fan as Rottweilers were my main breed since I was little and I will one day have another Phantom. My Toy is a silver Phantom and I think she is gorgeous.

I think with the Multicolored Poodles it adds more to the personality.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
It is the rare Parti who has markings that are symmetrical enough to "add' to the total picture. Most have markings that detract from a Poodle's outline or the movement.

It is the rare Parti who has conformation, coat and movement as good as that of its solid brethren.

There is exactly 1 Parti breeder I ever recommend.

http://www.tintlet.com/index.htm (Her dogs are UKC Grand Champions)

Otherwise, pretty much every Parti breeders I've ever come across has breeding practices that I don't agree with. I usually find them to be high volume breeders who are charging big $$$ for low quality dogs.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I like the look of some partis (you can just look at my avatar maybe to see why :)). But Cbrand hit the nail on the head for me, I just feel like some of the breeding practices are questionable.

I almost settled on a parti large toy/ mini for myself. But in the end I just wasn't comfortable with the breeding. So now it's black all the way for me!

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I personally love all colors, patterns, and types of poodles ^^ as long as they're healthy and good mannered, I'm not picky.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
I'd like a brindle poodle!!!
Moose is so short and if he was brnidle I think it would be sexay in a dog sorta way ;) L O L!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
We recently got our puppy, Smurfy, (solid dark apricot), and we really researched parti-color poodles before we found Smurfy's breeder. I wasn't happy with the pedigrees I was seeing. I think they're beautiful, very unique, but I was really worried about inbreeding and genetic problems.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'll admit at first I wasn't too fond of partis, but they have really grown on me and I now find I enjoy them immensely. I was considering a parti, but like others have said I wasn't completely satisfied with the breeding programs. With the demand and popularity of partis, teacups, and whatever else is trendy, it's hard to find a good reputable breeder in the swarm of unsatisfactory ones. For me it's challenging to find a good toy breeder(with the color I want), or a good parti breeder ATM. I settled for a solid colored standard. Much easier to find a breeder IMO.

As for brindles, sables, and phantoms...I'm not a fan. I guess for a poodle I don't like that much multicolor, on top of brindle and sable not looking very nice on a long coat. I don't like the "eyebrows" on phantoms...it looks weird on a poodle for me.

Here's a website explaining brindles and sables
http://arpeggiopoodles.tripod.com/poodlecoatcolorsbrindleandsable.html

And then some pictures. First one is a brindle, second one sable.

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
but the sable in the arrpeggio poodles was... not too nice looking imo.

The brindle was hard to see in their pics =/ Id like to see it on a normal pet or lamb cut, it on that cut just looked bad

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I looooove brindle poodles. Here's another

And here's the same dog that Aki linked, from the first image, but as an adult. His brown turned silver.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know someone who just got a Tinlet puppy a couple weeks ago and is very pleased! She has a parti baby, but he has bigger black spots.

I completely agree about not being able to find good breeders (heck, it is hard enough to find a good solid breeder!). I think that is the main problem for me, but i still dont like most of the non solid colors.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I looooove brindle poodles. Here's another

Here is a good example of what I'm talking about re: Partis. Now this may just be a poor picture so we will give her the benefit of the doubt. However, in this picture she clearly looks high in the rear and almost like she is long an roachy over the loin.

Also, her movement in not balanced. Her diagonal legs should be even in their movement. In this picture, her back left leg is higher off the ground than his right front leg. She looks like he is moving downhill while the desirable movement is more "uphill".

(edited because I just realized this is probably a bitch and I had to change the pronouns.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts