Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am a member of both the German shepherd forum and golden retriever forum, and when I run out of fun things to read about over there, I come to this board. I have an 11 month old working line German shepherd puppy named “Archer" and a 9 year old BYB golden retriever named “Brooklyn.” Someday I’d like to own a poodle, so I figured I may as well introduce myself and stick around. :)

·
Premium Member
23,185 Posts
Welcome. We have two standard poodles (both black) and a GSD (red and black from German lines). I think GSD and poodles make a really nice combination. GSD and my poodle girl are both 11 and a half. The younger poodle will be five this year.

Reactions: Pytheis

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome, pretty dogs!
I did not know that GSDs came in black.
I think most people don’t! It’s a recessive gene and most often found in working lines. When most people think of a German shepherd, they think of the typical black & tan. I’ve had people argue with me on whether or not my dog is purebred. I just roll my eyes and move on. No, he isn’t part wolf. 🙄

Welcome. We have two standard poodles (both black) and a GSD (red and black from German lines). I think GSD and poodles make a really nice combination. GSD and my poodle girl are both 11 and a half. The younger poodle will be five this year.
I was actually wondering how shepherds and poodles do together. What have you noticed the main differences between the breeds to be? They seem similar in a lot of ways.

·
Super Moderator
5,191 Posts
Welcome!

GSDs are my dream dog and yours is exceptionally beautiful. I fostered a young GSD mix last summer, but couldn't quite get my husband onboard (which, to be painfully honest, broke my heart a bit).

Her forever owner (a lifelong German Shepherd lover, from a family of breeders) said if she didn't have GSDs, she'd have standard poodles. Similar intelligence, for sure.

Please keep sharing photos! Your golden looks like such a sweetheart.

·
Premium Member
23,185 Posts
Pytheis, they are both very smart. I think GSD tend to be a little more patient than poodles. Our GSD is sort of a slow poke (especially now as an oldster). I often liken training the poodles to be rather like sailing an America's Cup yacht and working with the GSD to be sort of like turning the Titanic after you've seen the iceberg with a lightly better outcome (no sinking, but potentially a little iffy sometimes). It is interesting that American bred GSD are so tan whereas European GSD are definitively red.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hi Neighbor and Welcome to you and your crew!

·
Premium Member
4,107 Posts
Hi and welcome - glad to have you with us. Thanks for sharing the pictures of your wonderful dogs. I've never seen a black GSD and he is striking!

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Hi, and welcome!!! Your dogs are so cute!!!!! I love German Shepherds, but I like Golden Retrievers too! May I ask where you got your GSD please?? I would love to get a GSD. I've been trying to look for some good working line GSDs that don't have those ugly sloping backs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi, and welcome!!! Your dogs are so cute!!!!! I love German Shepherds, but I like Golden Retrievers too! May I ask where you got your GSD please?? I would love to get a GSD. I've been trying to look for some good working line GSDs that don't have those ugly sloping backs.
His breeder is Wildhaus in Michigan. Archer is out of the “U” litter. Highly, highly recommend! Chris is amazing. I live in Colorado, so we had many phone conversations where we interviewed each other, she got to know what I was looking for in a dog, my experience level, etc. All of her dogs are titled, fully health tested, and the best studs are found to compliment the bitches. Then the pups are raised with TONS of socialization and a great start in crate training. She picks the puppy for you that best fits your needs out of the litter. She’s been awesome in answering all my questions and regularly checks up on Archer to see how he’s doing if I don’t send an update first. :)

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
His breeder is Wildhaus in Michigan. Archer is out of the “U” litter. Highly, highly recommend! Chris is amazing. I live in Colorado, so we had many phone conversations where we interviewed each other, she got to know what I was looking for in a dog, my experience level, etc. All of her dogs are titled, fully health tested, and the best studs are found to compliment the bitches. Then the pups are raised with TONS of socialization and a great start in crate training. She picks the puppy for you that best fits your needs out of the litter. She’s been awesome in answering all my questions and regularly checks up on Archer to see how he’s doing if I don’t send an update first. :)
WHOA!!! Thank you, so much!!!!! She sounds awesome! I live in Washington State. I don't mind driving though!! I will look at them now!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts