Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 723 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Exactly Click! As "stupid" as Shae acts, I really do think she is a gifted dog. She thinks deeply, is emotionally sensitive, curious and exuberant. Of course no one thinks they're brilliant when they're bouncing off the walls, but give her to someone for 24 hours and then they start to see it. Any dog that can do what Noelle does with being an alert for you certainly is gifted too!

My mom raised my brother and I - two gifted children that were never "diagnosed" until we were 16/17 and doing private aptitude and intelligence tests for university. She thought we were normal since we were both similarly intelligent...The tester was like, why weren't these kids in accelerated programs? My mom was like - I didn't really know they were that smart. My mom reassures me that Shae reminds her of my brother (the more brilliant of us two) in canine form and that she will learn to channel herself. I just need to relax. Relaxing does solve a lot of issues - yes Shae has rules and expectations, but I try not to sweat the small stuff.

Gifted dogs are a really big gift and enrich our lives so much, even if we are pulling our hair out at the same time ;) They really do fill our hearts.

·
Premium Member
22,892 Posts
Reactions: Click-N-Treat

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I watched the videos, thank you! Does Javelin like slow creeping heel? Noelle does. She finds it fun when we creep along together. Last week at class the trainer came running over to us and said she was impressed by our slow heel. I'll have to get some video of Noelle heeling. I'd like to be able to compare where we are now with where we are going.

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Gal, I was identified as profoundly gifted at age four. I'd read the complete works of Shakespeare in elementary school. I could learn anything, but I had no peers. Who wants to discuss literature with an eight-year-old? Well, my mother, who was a gift to me, but other eight-year-old's had no desire to discuss Othello. Teachers took my books from me because they weren't age appropriate. My mother gave them back.

School was torture. I got in so much trouble, but not for deliberately misbehaving. I remember having a worksheet. The lessons was to circle the words ending in I-N-G. I scanned the paper, looking for words that ended in the letter G. Looked to the left of the G's for an N and circled the word. I was done in about 15 seconds. I looked up from my finished paper and saw my classmates were still working on it. So, I got a book out of my desk and quietly started to read.

The teacher came over, yanked the book out of my hand, slammed it on my desk and yelled at me. I looked up at him in horror. Everyone was staring at me. "Why aren't you doing your assignment?"
"I'm done."
"You can't be done all ready."
I handed him the paper. I was 100% correct on every question. The teacher was so angry I thought he was going to hit me. I was overwhelmed in school. I didn't belong in his classroom. I couldn't learn there.

No one would believe for a moment a person with profound developmental delays could function in a regular classroom. I was as different from my classmates as someone with profound developmental delays, only in the opposite direction. Why then was I punished for being unable to function in a regular classroom? I realize now it was cruel. Grade skipping was of no use. No peers.

I started college early. I didn't belong there, either. Again, no peers. I was not a square peg in a round hole. I was, and am, an icosahedron. And it doesn't get better as an adult. Answering someone's question and hearing them snap, "We can't all be in Mensa." And adults laugh at me... for being me. Chipping the edges off an icosahedron, turning it into a sphere.

I have learned to be quiet and aloof in the real world. When I hear a parent brag that their child is gifted, I cringe inside. To be gifted is no gift. It is to be alone. Perhaps this is why being sneered at by the other people in my dog class hurt so much. A reminder that once again, here is yet another place where I don't belong.

Well, at least I'm not there to make friends. I'm there to train my dog. Noelle and I are simpatico. I understand how she learns and where her intelligence trips her up. I have a sensitive thinking dog on my leash, and I respect that, and embrace that. We have many adventures ahead. Focusing on that is worth any amount of eye rolling.

Still hurt though.

·
Premium Member
22,892 Posts
Click that is so awful that you didn't have teachers who understood you. In grade school I had one particularly understanding teacher who realized I was beyond what was happening in his science class so he let me sit in the hall and read whatever I wanted most of the time. At first other teachers couldn't understand why I was in the hall being punished but when they saw what I was reading (and I guess spoke to my teacher) they figured it out and I spent most of that year's science classes out in the hall reading "big girl" science.

Javelin does love slow heel and he loves thinking generally about pace changes. that he likes the slow is funny since he thinks my normal pace of walking in the world (which puts him on an amble gait) is way too slow. He has recently taken to trying to hold my left hand in his mouth to tell me to hurry up (at least I think that is what he is saying).

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm glad you got to sit in the hall and read real science. That must have been a relief! My enrichment came after school. I was about seven or eight when I went into the adult section of the public library. The librarian came over and asked if I was lost, and tried to send me to the children's room. I told him I read all of the children's books. He looked surprised. Then he offered me his hand, and led me to the stacks. He found a book by Poe. He sat down and had me read it to him. Every day after school, I would go into the library and read to the librarian and talk to him about literature. He didn't seem to find it odd. It was as natural as could be. He got me into my Russian literature phase. The public library was a bully free haven.

I had my mom, too. I didn't realize what she was up to until I became an adult. My mom suggested I read the complete works of Shakespeare when I was very young. I was probably complaining about being bored. And, knowing my mom, she was probably was joking! But, I thought she was serious, so I grabbed each play off the library shelves in the living room and read them one after another.

I had to give a book report on Native Americans in 4th grade. Mom gave me Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. I think she was curious to see if I would understand it. We then discussed it over tea. I don't remember if I wrote a report. I just remember talking books with my mom and the librarian.

I put up with a lot of incredulous adults who said I wasn't really reading the books I was carrying. Many of my teachers didn't like me because I was restless and bored. Still, some adults built into me. I'm grateful for them, especially for my mom, my cello teacher, and the librarian. I think they saved me.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Unfortunately (or fortunately), I think you are much more gifted than I Click, but I understand what you mean. Thankfully, you had your mother to provide you with enrichment, but those other stories are sad realities. My mom is a very smart lady too, never diagnosed but I'm sure she would have been gifted too, so we always had a smart environment to thrive in at home. Lots of books, encyclopedias, challenging board games, stimulating conversation, etc.

Being a gifted kid is especially isolating. I didn't have friends until high school and even then I was mostly aloof from them and was part of the group to have someone to sit with at lunch. They always put me in a split class in elementary school when available so I could teach the younger grade. The system was reluctant to push me ahead citing that I should be with my own age and not being so could cause social development issues. I didn't have any friends anyway so I don't think that would have been damaging. Doesn't matter, I stayed where I stayed. In grade 8, my first "enrichment" program came into effect...my one grade 8 teacher knew I was bored and smart in math. There were two other guys that were as smart in math, so the three of us were sent on to high school for math class. That meant studying for that class as well as doing independent study for the two gr 8 classes I would be missing while attending that class. That experience was really rewarding and stimulating, which really helped my gr 8 year and made my transition to high school much easier. I enjoyed grade 9 and 10. Grade 11 was okay. By grade 12, I was a bored and mediocre/just above average student who constantly skipped class and never studied. I always felt bad for my friends and acquaintances who studied really hard and always received marks less than me. I scraped by and made it to university. I loved university. Had a few friends, had a serious boyfriend, got my Rocky boy, did well in school. Life's good now, but it was very difficult to get through the pre-teen and teenage years. No one knew what gave me such an unsettled personality and they certainly didn't know what to do about it. Was just bored out of my tree and lacked purpose.

Lily, I can't believe you were a trouble maker ;) - that's so good that your teacher was able to be supportive and allow you to study something more stimulating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Gal,

I hear you. I really do.

Tonight we have class again. I'm hoping Noelle does better on figure eights since we practiced them quite a bit. We still have a long way to go, but we're heading in the right direction.

·
Premium Member
22,892 Posts
Click-N-Treat if you can have the posts move out to about 10-12 feet apart and make your turns sweeping while keeping your pace constant. This will help Noelle to understand that she has to adjust her pace to remain at heel. Also if you haven't seen it I have a detailed description of how to treat figure eights and their footwork in the thread about the workshop Javelin and I did in August. It is post #15 here http://www.poodleforum.com/24-performance-agility-obedience-hunting/241714-intermediate-obedience-workshop.html

Have fun tonight!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Click-N-Treat, I can certainly identify with your frustration with teachers when you were a student. I was fortunate enough to have gone through school at a time when there were "tracks". Those of us in the "college bound" track were challenged with more difficult work so we would not get bored (and therefore get into trouble).

One interesting situation I had when I was a teacher was with the parents of an advanced student who did NOT want their son challenged. I was teaching 7th grade English - the boy read on a college level. When the other students were reading a simplified version of the Odyssey, I gave him my copy of it from my Great Books series. His parents were not having that! They just wanted him to have an easy path through school. I wonder how he ended up?

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hi every poodle, it's me, Noelle.

I has an important question. When you are telled to stay, does that me stay stay, or does that mean stay until you're sicks of staying and then you can get up? I think it's the second. I thinks when Mom says stay, and walks away from me, she's forgotten something important, her poodle shaped shadow, meeeee.

I gots very confuzed in class this week. Here's what happened.

Mom said, sit.
I sitted because I am a good poodle.
Mom said, stay.
I stayed, also because I am a good poodle.
Mom walked away.
She made a stop sign with her hand, so I stayed. Hours and hours and hours passed. I gotted all lonely. So I went to see Mom.

She made a angry face and put me back to where I was supposed to sit.
So, I sit again, but I was confused about why mom made a angry face.

Then we had to down and the same thing happened. I was down, and then I wanted to sees mom, so I gotted up. Mom said down again, so I downed. I pretended I were a jack-in-the-box. Down, boing! Down, boing! Finally, Mom made the mostest exasperatedified face I have ever seen. Down, stay! Mom said that in her I means it voice. Well, I didn't want to down and stay. Stay is boring. So I gotted up again.

And then the worstest thing happened. Mom transmogrified into a gargoyle! Her face gotted all twisted, and her ears got pointy and everything. I got very scared. I wouldn't dream of lying down in front of a gargoyle. So I did the safest thing possible. I laid down on my back and showed my belly because I was afraid of the gargoyle face mom was making.

Mom instantly stopped making that face, though. She said she was sorry and gaved me cheese and petting. And when I downed again, mom walked around and and around me instead of walking far far away.

I gotted kinda confuzed in class. Mom felt bad because she scared me. She taked me to McDonalds and we eated a cheeseburger together. Mom is holding me right now so I can types with my paws.

So, can you help a poodle out? Does stay mean stay stay, or does stay mean stay for a while until something more interesting happens? And if I does do a stay stay, will mom be happy, or will she turn into a gargoyle?

Please helps me. I don't understand what Mom wants and I want so much to be a good poodle. I do. I really, really do.

Your friend,
Noelle

·
Registered
12,229 Posts
Dear Noelle
I asked Sophy what she thinks, because she is very clever. She says Mums think it should be Stay Stay, but they sometimes need to be reminded how very boring that is for dogs, and how worrying it can be when there are lots of other dogs and people around. She reckons the problem with being very, very good most of the time is that Mums start to think you should be very good All The Time, and forget what hard work it is! And your Mum really, really needs you close to her to keep her safe, which makes it even more difficult to understand. So it is rather a silly game, but probably worth learning if the treats are really good. Sophy says the best thing to do is to just keep half an eye on your Mum and think of chicken, but I think Down/Boing! sounds like the perfect poodle game, and much more fun than all the boring stuff humans want us to do. And Sophy says that it is only a game, so if it makes your Mum happy it is a little bit important, but not nearly as important as the Magic Cookie Smell game which keeps her safe (I don't really understand that bit).

The gargoyle thing sounds really scary. That Voice is bad enough! I'm glad your Mum apologised so nicely with cheese burgers (are those like bacon sandwiches?). We think you are amazingly good already - much gooder than we are. Sophy stops being good sometimes because she thinks of more interesting things to do, and because she reckons if you are good all the time humans forget about paying for it and need reminding. I just forget...

Love Poppy xx

·
Premium Member
22,892 Posts
Hey Noelle, Javvy here. We are sorry mom went gargoyley ons you. Our mom does that every now and agains. I tink shes tryin hard not to does it if she knows we's tryin too. I says that is big big scares time when it does happens. Lils is da expert pudel on dis topics since she's been doin sits and downs stays for almost her whole life. She says dat stay means stayin put until mom comes backs. Mom doesn't even say the stay word to Lils anymore. I seen dat happen and I's amazed dat Lily never moves. I dunno how she does it. I'm like you Noelle I find it boring to stay doin nothin for such long times. Lils even says dat sometimes moms go out of the room and leaves her stayin widout watchin her. Lils understands its all good enuf dat she never moves no matter how long mom leaves for or where it happens. Lils also tells me I needa learn to do da same ting. I be tryin hard to do what mom says.

Your pal Javvy

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hey, Noelle, Zephyr here. My Mum does that same thing, and listen to this--even when I stay stay stay EXACTLY where I am she still gets mad when it gets so long I just can't sit anymore and I lay down. What's a poor dog to do? Last week there were other dogs who just couldn't wait any longer and they were walking all around and I still stayed right where I was (well, for a long time I did until I figured out she must have forgotten all about me). She didn't get very mad that time. There was even one big white poodle who has to wear a special really long leash because he likes to run all around and I could have so much fun with that poodle except I'm not allowed even to talk to him at all. Last week he was having so much fun he got his long leash all wrapped up around him until he couldn't even run around any more and everybody was laughing at him. I like it when people laugh, except when they laugh when we're in class I am starting to think that is not such a good thing.

Really hard to figure out! Anyway, it's not just you, and most of the time it's pretty fun. Except not being able to play with that poodle.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
So, can you help a poodle out? Does stay mean stay stay, or does stay mean stay for a while until something more interesting happens? And if I does do a stay stay, will mom be happy, or will she turn into a gargoyle?

Please helps me. I don't understand what Mom wants and I want so much to be a good poodle. I do. I really, really do.

Your friend,
Noelle
Noelle, don't worry, your mom will never, ever leave you. But when you are supposed to do stay stay, you do have to be patient and wait until she comes back.

PS - I have a terrible time with stay, it's so very hard for me to be still!
Love, Zoe

·
Registered
8,202 Posts
Noelle, stay means stay stay so mommy duzn't turn into a goyle (that sownds verry scery!). - Maizie

Noelle, a mommy is da bestest persn in the wurld and u wont to mak huh happy, wite? So u hav to stay stay untill she sez so. - Frosty

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thank you so much every poodle. This is Noelle again. So, I guess stay means stay stay. I'm with Javvy becauze I thinks stays is boring. But, Frosty and Maizie says it means stay stay. Lily says stay stay. Sophy and Poppy say stay stay. Zoe says stay stay. Zephyr says it meanz stay stay. Sigh. Maybe it really doze mean stay stay. I hates that. Maybe I will pretend to be a statue dog. That might be more fun.

Mom said next week she will brings a special super wonderful stay treat to helps me. I only gets it if I stays. We will also practice stay. It's hard, poodles. I likes being with my mom.

I likes recalls. Mom tells me to sit, and I sit. Mom walks far, far, miles and kilometers and yards and meters away. Then she turns around and says, "Noelle, come!" Whoosh! I runs so fast. So, so, so fast. I come flying like a flying poodle, off leash and everything. Zoom! I'm so good at that game. In my class, after we do stay stay stay, three different stays, sit stay, down stay, stand stay, we gets to does recalls. I loves that part.

Yesterday in the ring next to me, they was doing something called OVER, where dogs were jumping over things. Mom tells me if I am a good poodle in class someday we will learn to do over. Yay!

Thanks for your help, every poodle.
Your friend forever,
Noelle

·
Registered
12,229 Posts
Yes I like recalls too! I like the way my ears bounce and fly when I zoom to Mum, and I like the treats when I get there and the silly game we play! I really like the Over game too, but Sophy hated it and would not play. She tried every which way to tell Mum it hurt, but Mum kept on and on trying to persuade her. Then Mum felt really guilty when Sophy had her bad back the first time. But if you don't have a wonky back it is a really good game. The only thing better are the things you climb up, especially if all the humans are hanging around nattering waiting for their turns and you can climb up behind them and steal treats from their pockets! I said you were gooder than we are...

Poppy xx

·
Premium Member
22,892 Posts
Noelle, We's luvs over so so much! Lily has dun the over jumpys lots and lot. I gets to do it some too, but mom's sayz "I need to control my impulses." I is just so happy to go jumpies dat I don't always wait until she tells me to jumpy and then she makes that scary gargoyley face at me toos. I wunders how both our mom's know da scary faces things?

Recalls is very much funs too. Sometimes I goes so fast I can hardly stop and I runs right into mom. She makes scary faces then too.

Luv ya girlfriend,
Javvy Pups

PS from mom, having Javelin barrel into me full bore can be like getting hit by a freight train. Yikes!

41 - 60 of 723 Posts