Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, my one year mpoo no longer wants to go to the park. When she sees the leash, she runs away.She didn't experience anything traumatic, just seems to want to stay home. She also has stopped playing with other dogs - even the pups she has played with for months! I push her to at least walk with me in the park. Any ideas about what's up?

·
Registered
25 Posts
First off, I'd recommend that you visit your veterinarian for a thorough physical exam ASAP. Any major change in behavior like this could indicate a change in her health.

Make some notes about her altered behavior, along with your best estimate as to when it started. The vet will appreciate this record, and it will help to structure the exam your mini gets, as well as any tests the vet feels are necessary.

After that, if your vet clears her of any physical problems, you may want to discuss this with a behaviorist.

There are simple things you can do such as laying the leash in a circle around her food dish, so she associates it with tasty food, and steps over it to eat. If she doesn't want to step over it, wind it in a smaller circle around the base of her food dish first. When she is comfortable with this, after a few days, open it into the larger circle she has to step over to get to her food.

I hope she's feeling better soon.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
Is there somewhere else you can try to walk her? It's possible that some thing or some association with some thing happened so quickly that you could have missed it.

With the thought that she's shunning the exercise and the company, getting her checked over is a good idea but if she gets an all clear physically then rule out the location.

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,820 Posts
It’s so hard to say without seeing her behaviour in action. Is she running away from the leash because she’s scared? Because she’s hurting? Because she’s overexcited and it’s turned into a big game? It could be as simple as she got bonked on the nose by it once and isn’t going to risk that happening again.

And how do you know she doesn’t want to walk in the park? How is she communicating this to you? How much exercise does she get daily and how has her activity level changed since she was a young puppy? Is she active inside the home? In your yard? Is the park where she usually plays with other dogs?

Having less interest in playing with other dogs isn’t totally abnormal as your adolescent reaches maturity. Some dogs get very particular about their playmates and it’s not always obvious to us humans when another dog is being rude.

When was the last time she played? How old was she? How many dogs were there? Were they on or off leash? How long did the play session last? Was she socialized with a variety of dogs as a young puppy?

You don’t have to answer all these questions lol, but they might help you piece together this puzzle. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your insights. Today we skirted to the opposite side of the park and slipped into a little used slope. She was much more willing to play and be off-leash for a bit. We will continue to try new routes and stay away from the area that has her spooked.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts