Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am realizing my top price of $2500, which is a stretch for me, is going to be just too low now. Embarrassing to call or email and ask price first.

i Would like to understand why so many breeders do not have a price online.

I can go to the various online broker sites for lower prices and play a roulette wheel of good dog chances. But that seems like good money after bad, though our puppy mill collie was a wonderful pet. You never can tell.

·
Super Moderator
9,017 Posts
The guilt I carried over my puppy mill dog had nothing to do with her. She was wonderful. It was the idea that I had just financed another puppy mill dog, helping to keep her dam and sire in potentially horrible conditions. That haunted me her whole life. It still does.

Have you decided that you would definitely like a standard poodle? If so, you can absolutely get one from a good breeder within your budget. You will just need to get yourself on a waiting list. :) Is there something holding you back from doing that? Have you narrowed down your list of breeders?

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
I agree with PTP. This budget will get you a solid dog from a good, ethical breeder. Those who sell dogs at 3k-4k-5k are not ethical breeders. They’re just backyard breeders and scammers who are taking advantage of the pandemic. The « real » breeders have not raised their prices.

·
Super Moderator
2,707 Posts
I think location factors in. The northeast tends to have a high cost of living (driving up the cost of everything from housing to vet visits) and also has some pretty large population centers (lots of buyers competing for available puppies.)

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
I'd make an educated guess that most conscientious breeders don't advertise prices on their public online sites because they aren't truly "operating a business" like Home Depot or Walmart. They aren't offering commodities. but a lifelong companion. Their public online sites are intended to showcase their history, their breeding program, their dogs, all the work they put into breeding poodles. I expect this to hold true for any purebred conscientious breeder.

They want to get to know the people of the home their babies might go to, and want those people to have the opportunity to get to know them. Discussions of price come after some introductions and conversation.

Some conscientious breeders may have pricing on their sites but it's not typical to do so. It's not to hide anything but to initiate a connection first.

If a breeder is charging different prices for different colors or for different sizes, or offer "teacup", "royal", that's a caution flag which I would heed and look elsewhere.

As for "broker" sites, there are several sites listed in the Breeders List. Those particular sites all require evidence of health testing before allowing a breeder to list. There may be a fee for the breeder to list there but very, very, very unlikely that there's any further compensation per sale. Did I say very unlikely?

If by "broker" sites, you mean INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO puppyfind.com, puppyspot.com, anything like those, JUST RUN!

Any site that has a Home page or side bars with a banner offering payment options coupled with puppy faces,,,RUN

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guilt I carried over my puppy mill dog had nothing to do with her. She was wonderful. It was the idea that I had just financed another puppy mill dog, helping to keep her dam and sire in potentially horrible conditions. That haunted me her whole life. It still does.

Have you decided that you would definitely like a standard poodle? If so, you can absolutely get one from a good breeder within your budget. You will just need to get yourself on a waiting list. :) Is there something holding you back from doing that? Have you narrowed down your list of breeders?
I am totally spinning here. I just realized a standard is just too big. i was looking for a smaller standard which just made it harder. I have not yet found a poodle breeder in our price range in our area. my handicaps mean a five hour drive will require a hotel overnight, during covid.
Most I emailed did not reply. One replied, then called back- just lovely people. But out of my range. I think $3500?
part of the problem is my requirements..not Black, a medium size, not too far. Hoping to not wait a full year. But not “Christmas Puppy”. Not that we are having guests, just not people touting Those Xmas puppies.

then folks recommended a smaller dog bred for companionship. All the related Maltese, havanese, coton etc. or Sheh Tzu. I know somlittle of them. Not only higher yet price so far, but online articles say most may be stubborn and may not really housebreak. like a beagle!

I also discovered the fake rescues, scams. Imho right now in my 100 mile radius you may be more likely to buy a puppy mill dog with that $450 rescue fee as to be saving a rescue. I waste time checking dally.

i had many fosters, and always one or two dogs, couple cats but suddenly I am getting nervous. I spent thousands for a medical type bed I needed- it has wires under it. The living room has two stations for electronics. Each of three bedrooms ..wires, plugs. Puppy proofing! My crates in garage are 20 years old and probably too big anyway. Son borrowed baby gates for their new pup. All easy individual fixes but my covid isolation makes it feel hard.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think location factors in. The northeast tends to have a high cost of living (driving up the cost of everything from housing to vet visits) and also has some pretty large population centers (lots of buyers competing for available puppies.)
Yes it is wild here now. housing gone wild too. Almost all dogs in rescues, if rescue is even operating, are being flown or driven here. Almost all left have issues that imho preclude adopting. Bite issues.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I agree with both PTP and Dechi. Ethical breeders are not trying to expliot buyers due to Covid.

In my area ( Virginia/North Carolina ) the average price for a puppy from an ethical breeder is about $1,800 and has remained stable. That is a pet puppy.

I got very lucky with my Sammy, not just in price ( he was half that), but in the dog that I got. His breeder was not a backyard breeder, but she was definately not up to par with what is recommended here. She was an older lady with two pets ( health certified) that she breed once a year and she seemed very informed ). My Sammy was the sole remaining puppy when she advertised. I thank God every day that the previous adopters did not chose him. He might not win any conformation titles ( or he might, to me he is perfect )

You can get very lucky.

One thing I was worried about was that poodles have a reputation of being yappy. When I arrived at his original, very rural home, the parent dogs did not bark at all. The sire and dam were very well behaved and even tempered. They were not over enthusiastic for visitors ( jumping on us, barking, happy to have someone visit), but they were not unwelcoming ( came for pets, no expression of fear at all). Just very nice. calm dogs. If you go this route, pay good attention to the parent dogs.

I understand the price issue and not wanting to bring that up first. It is huge, when some people are charging so much now. And, you do not want to invest too much of yourself, in a puppy that may be out of your abilitiy. Good breeders want to know a bit about you. After you talk to a few people, it will become obvious to you which ones are only concerned about money and which ones really care. It may ( or may not now) be a little more initially, to get your puppy from a great/good breeder, in the long run, it most likely will save you money.

Also, some good breeders are offended by people that ask price first. I recommend discussing what you want from a dog ( personality/temperament etc.) and getting to know the breeder a bit. Usually in the 2nd or 3rd conversation I have had with the breeder, they tell me the price and it's never way astronomical. Your budget of $2500 should be more than adequate for a wonderful pet poodle.

·
Premium Member
4,094 Posts
Have you made contact with the PCA breeder referral person? With the additional info you've given, if I were in your position, if I wanted a poodle, I'd be looking for a young adult mpoo from a quality, conscientious breeder. This will be a rehome from a prior owner whose life circumstances have changed, possibly a dog who just didn't enjoy the show life, possibly a retired breeding girl. Skip the puppy phase.

Reactions: cowpony

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I believe you should be able to find a good puppy within your price and size range and probably within your distance. Some breeders are willing to help by driving to meet you.

Have you checked with Darkover? I know they had a litter of blues born recently.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts