Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe that after 6.5 years of assiduously taking care of Molly's teeth and how good they looked, (never needing to have a dental ) next week she is scheduled for surgery to remove both upper 4th premolars!!!
I brush her teeth almost every night but I never had to really 'look' at her back molars as it was a 1 minute job that she liked and I never had to force her mouth open....kinda just stuck the brush in her mouth and got it done..........until last Friday when I stuck the brush in the back of her mouth and she CRINGED, big time! Sure enough, on inspection she had slab fractures in both upper 4th premolars! Vet visit on Monday confirmed it, and both need to be pulled............ or I could go to the doggy dentist and have root canals done at approx. $3000 a tooth!!!!!! Sorry Molly $6000 is not doable!

To have them pulled is quite complex too, as they are the largest of the molars and have 3 roots that have to be individually excised.
Did you know that that is a really common occurrence with those particular
premolars?
Anyway, after thinking back on when it could have happened, I remembered the only rather hard object she had chewed on was a pork bone.....which I didn't worry about since Molly usually just 'knaws' the meat off and doesn't try to 'eat' the bone....until now I guess!!!!
The surgery and all the stuff involved will be a pretty penny(approx $1300.00) but NOT $6000! WHEW!!! Molly will not be getting any more bones in the the future...... (hello to more Bully sticks & Buffalo ears LOL!!!!)

The good thing is she had a through physical check up and I was complimented on how well taken care of she was, and how well behaved she was..........fine for her blood draw and I also had them check her urine with a bladder draw and not a peep out of her! She went willingly with the Tech and even obeyed her when she told her to 'sit' on the scale ( good girl Molly!)

Got the results of blood panel (complete panel + thyroid, my request) this afternoon and everything is Healthy healthy healthy!!!!!
Scheduled her surgery for the 24th..........hopefully there will be no complications!!!

Reactions: BorderKelpie

Registered
Oh my goodness!! Poor Molly but you are amazing MollyMuiMa for brushing her teeth every night and realizing so quickly that there was a problem. I can only imagine how long this may have gone on for someone who doesn鈥檛 brush their dogs teeth. I brush Luna鈥檚 probably 5 nights a week, but I will be more aware when I brush them - I am usually just on auto pilot. And I think this is a good hint to me that I need to be really careful with any bones she may get. Do you know what type of pork bone it was (big? Raw?) Good luck to Molly on her extraction. You are the best mommy - be sure to keep us posted!!

Registered
Ouch! Good news that Molly is so fit in every other way, though, and I am sure she will feel much better when the sore teeth are gone.

Registered
poor Molly. I am impressed on how well behaved she is. I hope Renn will get like the one day.
I hope her surgery goes well and that she has a speedy recovery.

Premium Member
I am sorry you have to have this big dental project for Molly. I am sure it will all be for the good. I am sure she will miss her bones, but our dogs love their buffalo ears and yak cheese. The are good alternatives to bones.

Reactions: MollyMuiMa

Registered
So sorry for Molly and you. I think she will be just fine, of all my poodles they all have had teeth pulled and cleaned. My little Bella is 14 and only has 2 teeth left, an long one on the right in front and one in the back. Wishing for a quick recovery, mine want to eat after they a pulled but I inly give then baby food for about a week

Registered
Ouch ouch ouch. Poor Molly and it鈥檚 good you caught this early and are having them pulled quickly.

Sending healing vibes for a quick recovery. And some new bully sticks.

Reactions: MollyMuiMa

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #12
Oh my goodness!! Poor Molly but you are amazing MollyMuiMa for brushing her teeth every night and realizing so quickly that there was a problem. I can only imagine how long this may have gone on for someone who doesn鈥檛 brush their dogs teeth. I brush Luna鈥檚 probably 5 nights a week, but I will be more aware when I brush them - I am usually just on auto pilot. And I think this is a good hint to me that I need to be really careful with any bones she may get. Do you know what type of pork bone it was (big? Raw?) Good luck to Molly on her extraction. You are the best mommy - be sure to keep us posted!!
Yes Chinchillafuzzy it was raw.....it was a pork chop that I gave her....not thinking she would try to crunch up the bone, as she usually does not! Maybe this one was extra flavorful huh? LOL! Has to be the most expensive meal I have ever served her! hahaha!!! :eating:

Registered
Aww... poor Molly! Yeah, one thing about poodles is that most don't have great teeth. I've been obsessed about dog teeth. Probably to an unhealthy degree. Every new dog I meet, I check out their teeth. It is because Lucky has bad teeth. I'm becoming my father after I stopped wearing my retainers back in middle school. He would comment about how my gap came back.

Registered
Poor Molly! I'm sure she'll be feeling much better after the bad teeth come out. And what dog doesn't love getting soft food? :)

Registered
Wow! Hopefully Molly is on the mend. Thank you for reminding me pork chop is a no no. Milo occasionally gets them, he doesn鈥檛 bite the bone but who knows I might get one of those with extra flavour too! Lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts