Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
I think I will say he is a poodledoodle. And when they say what is that? I will say, well you get a male poodle and a female poodle......
Even as a poodle owner, I sometimes have a hard time distinguishing between poodles and doodles. They can start to look pretty poodley after a few generations of doodle x poodle.

Most people guess correctly that my dog is a poodle, but I think I get a few more doodle guesses the longer his face grows.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea there are a lot of crosses out there. I just seen a photo of a poodle dalmatian cross, It was cute!

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I like your clever response.

I never get that because my Babykins is clipped in a very traditional looking poodle cut - shaved face, pompoms on the legs and a nice big ball of a tail with topknot and long ears.

I think people get confused with poodles who have long fur on their face, especially if it looks scruffy like labradoodles.

Reactions: Dechi

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
Skylar I agree if you have a poodle with a clean face and feet virtually no one will think it is a doodle.

Reactions: glorybeecosta

·
Registered
95 Posts
Skylar I agree if you have a poodle with a clean face and feet virtually no one will think it is a doodle.
Nope, my dog was always mistaken for a doodle. We tried to keep her short and her face clean and her ears and tail fluffy. Some of my kids are boys and i promised them she would never look like a show dog.

The first time I took her to her new groomer who was very experienced it was the end of winter so she was shaggy and adorable. She said, I thought you had a poodle, this is a doodle. My comment, that is not what it says on her AKC registration. She came out looking like a typical poodle. We ended up switching groomers to one that would do what we asked

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nope, my dog was always mistaken for a doodle. We tried to keep her short and her face clean and her ears and tail fluffy. Some of my kids are boys and i promised them she would never look like a show dog.

The first time I took her to her new groomer who was very experienced it was the end of winter so she was shaggy and adorable. She said, I thought you had a poodle, this is a doodle. My comment, that is not what it says on her AKC registration. She came out looking like a typical poodle. We ended up switching groomers to one that would do what we asked
Our Toy gets called any manner of crossbreeds, and probably because we keep him scruffy. Basic haircut, feet rounded a bit, and a face trim but not shaved. We needed a hypoallergenic breed so I made my wife promise no pom poms. He's WAY more dog than I expected. I just figured he would lay around all day and yip at the doorbell, but this dude is a ball of energy and loves to go wolf on me.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I read an interesting article on the Pudelpointer yesterday - which is a real breed not a designer breed and has been around for more than a hundred years. They are awesome hunting dogs also. The interesting part of the article was that the "Pudel" contribution had to be kept quite low around 10% Poodle versus the rest Pointer (not sure if it was English Pointer or German Shorthaired or Wirehaired) They look very much like German Wire-haired Pointers so that's probably a hint - but the point I took away is that Poodle genes are very strong, hence the Poodle look to all the crosses.

·
Super Moderator
3,155 Posts
I read an interesting article on the Pudelpointer yesterday...
I googled images and they are interesting and strong looking dogs. The part where you said they'd been around 100 years and are a real breed made me wonder if in another 80 years give or take a few decades, if labradoodles will have been designated as an official AKC breed. Given their popularity, and if lobbied enough, I'd guess yes.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
It seems over the past few year there are new AKC breeds, it wouldn't surprise me to see a labradoodle or golden doodle one day.

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
No no no please just no, not ever to labradoodles or golden doodles as recognized AKC breeds, and I think if you asked lab or golden breeders and owners they would say the same thing. There is a schnoodle (giant schnauzer/standard poodle) at the workshop I am at this weekend. It is not an apealing dog and really doesn't seem to have gotten any poodle smarts, but then again his handler is a little out there too.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
No no no please just no, not ever to labradoodles or golden doodles as recognized AKC breeds,

Oh I agree but it still wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
A good number of recent "new" AKC breeds are FCI breeds of long standing that have now found sufficient footing amongst fanciers in this country for AKC to recognize. So, not so much new breeds as new to the US breeds.

ETA: count me a no on Poodle mixes as AKC registerable purebreds, unless the science changes. I dislike and avoid use of the word beginning with a d and ending in the last five letters of the breed Poodle. They are mixes.

Nothing wrong with a mixed breed dog. My crossbreed girl was one of the most extraordinary dogs to ever grace this planet, and I still tear up over her passing at the end of 1990, and remember her birthdays on May 19ths. But she was not bred on purpose, nor did I pay to purchase her. At around four weeks or so, they did have me start taking the puppies home to my apartment at night to avoid them wandering into the horse stalls and getting trampled, but they came back to their mama during the day. Mama got spayed and homed (not rehomed; homed), and the pups got placed as well. I got my pick, obviously. Was a college girl in a summer job I'll never forget.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You use to have a hard time getting rid of mix breed dogs, now people are paying thousands for them! Blows my mind..

·
Premium Member
22,990 Posts
You use to have a hard time getting rid of mix breed dogs, now people are paying thousands for them! Blows my mind..

It makes my hair stand on end!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts