Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My poo is 3 months old and hates to cuddle! He will SOMETIMES lay down touching you...as long as you don't touch him...but if you do he's down to the end of the couch by himself! He likes to be picked up and played with and everything...but when it comes to cuddling he hist the road. Anyone else have a pup that is anti-cuddle? Or know if he'll grow out of it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
He's so young yet, I think you could try positive reinforcement. Could he have had any bad experiences with touch/cuddling? If he is motivated by food, you could treat him around the touch/cuddling experience to place in his brain how wonderful it is. Maybe you've already tried this? Repetition is key. Each dog can be so unique. Post again and let us know if you see improvement...

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
Took Moose months to cuddle he used to jump down off the bed or couch and lay on the floor alone. He still does this but he`ll also cuddle a lot now too.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Saleen doesn't cuddle either, though she seems to be getting better. Sometimes she will seek attention, but it's kind of rare. When she does want to say hi to you it's a pretty brief thing, unless she thinks you have food lol.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Not all dogs like to cuddle. You can say they are pretty much like humans, some like it and some dont. Every person and dog have different personalities. We cant expect them to do anything they dont like. I have some really smoochy dogs here, real attentions hoars. Then a couple just prefer to play and thats it. They all get raised the same way, all get loved but if they dont want it, thats fine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
My poo is 3 months old and hates to cuddle! He will SOMETIMES lay down touching you...as long as you don't touch him...but if you do he's down to the end of the couch by himself! He likes to be picked up and played with and everything...but when it comes to cuddling he hist the road. Anyone else have a pup that is anti-cuddle? Or know if he'll grow out of it?
When Lance was a puppy he wasn't into cuddling. His mother was the same way. When she wanted attention she demanded it & when she'd had enough she would just go away. Cuddles were always on her terms. Lance tried this & I wasn't going to have that. I'd just sit with him on my lap & when he wanted to get down I made him stay. I called it "puppy hugginz". Well let me tell you as time went on he came to enjoy our puppy hugginz. I could even get him to purr almost like a cat during them he liked them so much. The older he got the more snuggly he got. This was the complete & total opposit of his mother. So don't give up hope. Your puppy is still you & things may change.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Our little Gabie likes to sit on the side of you in the chair - she loves that position. Her littermate Cassie - oh does she like to be on the lap and cuddled - she is relentless wanting you to pet her -if you stop she will take her paws and try to get your hands to start again (which can be very annoying lol) But Gabie will not be content to lay down by herself - she defintely wants next to you! lol

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
I know how frustrating this has to be if you love to cuddle your pet. Some dogs are just not snugglers and, if that is his type, you will have to find some other way to interact that you both enjoy.

Sometimes, when young, they will not like to snuggle but as they grow older develop the snuggle desire. Doing fun things like playing ball, doing agility or anything that both of you interact in a fun way can bring the dog closer to you and bring out his/her desire to be closer and snuggly or somewhat snuggly.

It is funny how some dogs absolutely hate to be hugged, like they have a fear of being confined. Again, time spent in making a game out of being held and time spent in fun games goes a long way in bringing out the desire of the dog to get close and being held. Always be aware that when making it fun being snuggled, the "holding" should be very short duration and the dog let go before it begins to stress and struggle. Most times, when done in fun and for a second or two at a time, then let go, the dog learns that it is not something to fear and you will be able to hold the dog for longer intervals. Always make sure that the snuggle ends in the dog being happy. Use treats or whatever the dog likes for that short (only a second at first) snuggle.

I have seen, very occasionally, dogs that just never ended up liking to snuggle, this is their makeup and they should not be forced to snuggle if they don't like it as this will only make them more withdrawn from their people. In this case, their is always other ways of interacting and enjoying your friend that both of you can enjoy.

Good luck with your little one and hopefully he will begin to like to snuggle later on. If not, find things that you can both enjoy in being together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts