Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The breeder we got Mani from and several other people we know have said that Armani has the conformation for showing but his coloring is off. I would love to show him but only to get his name recognized for studding.
*so here's my question:
1. Are there any poodle clubs in GA that i can show him with? I've looked on the AKC website and the closest clubs are in Orlando and N Carolina.
2. He has a white patch on his chest along with liver points/amber eyes on an medium apricot coat.... are these bad? (i have yet to find a definite yes to this in the AKC standard)

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Taken from the AKC website:

Color
The coat is an even and solid color at the skin. In blues, grays, silvers, browns, cafe-au-laits, apricots and creams the coat may show varying shades of the same color. This is frequently present in the somewhat darker feathering of the ears and in the tipping of the ruff. While clear colors are definitely preferred, such natural variation in the shading of the coat is not to be considered a fault. Brown and cafe-au-lait Poodles have liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, dark toenails and dark amber eyes. Black, blue, gray, silver, cream and white Poodles have black noses, eye-rims and lips, black or self colored toenails and very dark eyes. In the apricots while the foregoing coloring is preferred, liver-colored noses, eye-rims and lips, and amber eyes are permitted but are not desirable. Major fault: color of nose, lips and eye-rims incomplete, or of wrong color for color of dog.

Parti-colored dogs shall be disqualified. The coat of a parti-colored dog is not an even solid color at the skin but is of two or more colors.

So yes, the white patch will give you problems in the show ring.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i thought. i just wanted to make sure. pooh!!! his movement and build are beautiful though. personally, i like his coloring though

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Even if you cannot show him in conformation you certainly CAN do other events like Obedience, Rally, and Agility with him reguardless of his color. Many of these events take place at shows. GA has quite a few all over the state, you don't have to stick with just poodle clubs. All breed clubs host all sorts of events in addition to cnformation shows. There is a big show a couple times a year in Perry GA that I just love, love, love. The spring time show is my favorite, it just seems to be larger in the sping for some reason? Anyway at that show they usually do have agility and obedience/Rally trials among other things. Even if you don't plan to compete if you're close enough it is a GREAT show to attend just for the fun of it. I love to go shopping at all the vendor's booths, you can find tons of cool stuff that the average pet store wouldn't have.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Even if you cannot show him in conformation you certainly CAN do other events like Obedience, Rally, and Agility with him reguardless of his color. Many of these events take place at shows.
I aree and there is also UKC they do not have issues with color. I would have someone local evaluate him if you plan to show UKC. They have abstract poodles and partis in UKC your boy would be consider abstract if he has white on his chest.

there is another registry that lets part poodles or other color poodles to be shown I have to find link forgot the name

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wow! thanks, i'm going to look into it! He learns obedience commands quickly and I think he gets a little bored with me telling him these things so he turns it into a game lol. its a little frustrating but a don't mind, always gives me a good laugh.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I aree and there is also UKC they do not have issues with color. I would have someone local evaluate him if you plan to show UKC. They have abstract poodles and partis in UKC your boy would be consider abstract if he has white on his chest.

there is another registry that lets part poodles or other color poodles to be shown I have to find link forgot the name
he's registered AKC so would it make a difference?

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
he's registered AKC so would it make a difference?

Yes you would have to Register him with UKC to compete in their shows my dog is AKC and UKC registered we take him to both types of shows

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
I don't think it is dfficult to obtain a UKC registration if you are already AKC register is it? They do cross reg. don't they? Saleen' sire was a UKC champion and the breeder says she can be UKC reg but never gave me any paperwork to do so.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone so much!!! i'm going to talk about it tonight with my parents to get their opinion and then i'll see about getting the paperwork to do so. we've been talking about sighing up for an obedience course and i think everything will work out great!

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
I don't think it is dfficult to obtain a UKC registration if you are already AKC register is it? They do cross reg. don't they? Saleen' sire was a UKC champion and the breeder says she can be UKC reg but never gave me any paperwork to do so.
Yeah just send in a COPY of the akc pedigree thats what we did and vola Enzo is UKC registered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts