Poodle Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, my poodle boy, Winston is 4 months old. My human kids are 2 and 5. :)

Winston is a little on the nippy side. We are enrolled in a puppy training class. Winston is still being crate trained. Once out of his crate and in the house - his leash is always on - i am watching him, playing with him, brushing him etc.

When outside with family (backyard) I would alllow him to run off leash to run and play with kids etc. This is when Winston is the MOST Nippy-ish. He may be playing soccer with the kids but as all of them are running along - Winston is nipping at the kids. He would nip at me and my husband as well.

I spoke to our trainer and she suggested - when we are outside playing in backyard , keep winston on his leash and correct him with a firm WRONG and pull on his leash as a corrective measure. This is working -i've noticed a little less nipping

My question is - what else can i do to decrease the nipping? I keep thinking in my head that in a few month this now 30 lbs puppy is gonna be 60 lbs plus. Nipping at any family member will not be tolerated

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Well, nipping is a way for a puppy to be bossy pants. Mia was a bit nippy with the kids when she first got here but my kids have a good concept of how to deal with dogs and would say NO and turn away from her and walk off. When puppies play, if one gets too rough the puppy will cry out and stop playing and the other puppy loses it's playmate.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Our oldest spoo (2 years old tomorrow) was nippy when she was little. I "yelped" and cradled my hand and "cried." I turned and walked away. After a few minutes I sat down and she came and licked my hand. She didn't know what to do the first time I did that, and after the second time I don't think she ever nipped at me again... Our puppy Smurfy NEVER tried to nip, except one or two little tiny front teeth "nibbles" when he was really excited to see me. Hmmm... not sure what that meant...but they seemed totally different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts