Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to a puppy playgroup today. They were having the dogs be released in groups of two. Noodle was fine being held when all the humans were on chairs. But then she had us sit in the floor. Noodle really wanted to be released and got very mouthy. Ordinarily I’d walk away but I could not release him. I also was wondering what to do generally if he gets nippy while I hold him. I don’t want to teach him that means he can get down. I didn’t get a chance to ask the trainer because she was working with someone else. Hoping you all had some good ideas.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
I would whip out a Nylabone or bully stick for him to chew on when he's waiting his turn to be released to play. Also, not everyone will do this, but I let my pups nibble on my hands, as long it was gentle (I gave them feedback just like their mothers and siblings did if it wasn't!). But most of the time, they were pretty gentle.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He was not gentle enough for me (or my kids). But I'll try with a chew next time. He did great with the other dogs but waiting is sooooo hard.

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
I agree with MaizieFrosty on having a redirect chewing object for those situations. I also would say that I think everyone should teach puppies to have good soft mouths. If your pup/dog has gotten hold of a dangerous object you should be able to put your hand in their mouth to take it away without worrying about being bitten. It can also be really helpful if you have to give medication that you can't disguise in a piece of cheese. For various flea/etc. controllers that are supposed to be appealing and consumed as a chew I find my dogs don't all like all of them and I have to give them as a "pill."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts