Poodle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I can use some advice. We have a 10 week old standard that we brought home a week ago. He is extremely nippy and jumpy, especially with the kids. If they walk by him he will try and grab their clothes. He will jump on them and wrap his legs around them. He does it with my husband and me as well, but worse with the kids. He also tries to chew anything he can find, loves my couch. Is this normal puppy behavior? Could he be teething already? Please tell me this is just a phase 馃槀.

Premium Member
Normal puppy behavior, not teething (which won't happen for a couple of months). There have been a lot of posts on this topic recently and lots of replies on what to do so rather than restate here are links.

Super Moderator
Yes, it's totally normal. The land shark phase is what drives many new puppy owners to Poodle Forum, LOL. We've all been there!
It will improve over time, but of course managing both the kids and the puppy with produce a better outcome faster. There are many threads with advice. Welcome and happy browsing.

Registered
Hi and welcome! There are lots of threads on this exact thing! Here is mine from back when our puppy was around the age of yours:

I got lots of great advice but the strategy that helped us the most was ignoring/removing the fun (when possible) and the short crate time out when she couldn't be redirected.

The good news is, it IS a phase, and there's a lot you can do to manage and improve the behavior, which is a better idea than waiting it out. The bad news is that the "phase" can last a while, and even if there are overall improvements there can be relapses, which is something that we are going through right now with our puppy, who is 6 months and recently started nipping a lot at my daughter's clothes again.

Registered
It was the phase that made me say 鈥淚鈥檒l never get another puppy.鈥 My guess is they go after the kids more because they might get a more 鈥減layful鈥 reaction. I would stop what I was doing and sit on the countertop until he sat and calmed down, then id give him a treat for obeying a simple command, like sit. I used simple training to curb a lot of the biting (sit, down, come). The best thing you can do is exercise his body or mind so that he sleeps and stops biting haha. As far as chewing on things, I use bitter apple spray. It鈥檚 never stained anything and it鈥檒l drive your pup away real fast.

Super Moderator
One thing to remember is that a bitey puppy is often a tired puppy. Just like little kids, they don't realize they are tired; they insist they are just FINE and want to keep playing. Meanwhile the impulse control and logic circuits shut down from exhaustion, and the puppy races around like a little maniac. A regular schedule structured around snacks and naps helps tremendously with toddlers of both the human and canine variety.

Registered
Also realize that the puppy wants to play and this is how puppies play, but chasing and wrestling each other.

I think it is in one of Jean Donaldson's books where she uses 'chase me'. Instead of the puppy chasing you, you chase the puppy. Once he has an object in his mouth, you give a cue, like "I'm gonna get you" and you chase him. I used this with my nippy border collie. He can't nip if his mouth is full. He can't jump on you if he is running away from you. You can then incorporate the toy into a reward for things like sit or down.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone! We will try all these suggestions. We realized that when he bites at the couch it鈥檚 sometimes bc he wants to sit on it with us! And yes this puppy stage is HARD!

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
It was the phase that made me say 鈥淚鈥檒l never get another puppy.鈥 My guess is they go after the kids more because they might get a more 鈥減layful鈥 reaction. I would stop what I was doing and sit on the countertop until he sat and calmed down, then id give him a treat for obeying a simple command, like sit. I used simple training to curb a lot of the biting (sit, down, come). The best thing you can do is exercise his body or mind so that he sleeps and stops biting haha. As far as chewing on things, I use bitter apple spray. It鈥檚 never stained anything and it鈥檒l drive your pup away real fast. View attachment 473715
Yes!! Puppy stage is hard! Good idea to do training when he gets like that tho.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
Hi and welcome! There are lots of threads on this exact thing! Here is mine from back when our puppy was around the age of yours:

I got lots of great advice but the strategy that helped us the most was ignoring/removing the fun (when possible) and the short crate time out when she couldn't be redirected.

The good news is, it IS a phase, and there's a lot you can do to manage and improve the behavior, which is a better idea than waiting it out. The bad news is that the "phase" can last a while, and even if there are overall improvements there can be relapses, which is something that we are going through right now with our puppy, who is 6 months and recently started nipping a lot at my daughter's clothes again.
Thanks! Yes we have started putting him in a pen when he gets super 鈥渃razy鈥

Registered
Hi! I can use some advice. We have a 10 week old standard that we brought home a week ago. He is extremely nippy and jumpy, especially with the kids. If they walk by him he will try and grab their clothes. He will jump on them and wrap his legs around them. He does it with my husband and me as well, but worse with the kids. He also tries to chew anything he can find, loves my couch. Is this normal puppy behavior? Could he be teething already? Please tell me this is just a phase 馃槀.
Quite normal behavior. I had many a dogs in my lifetime and my standard was the worse. I often said to myself that surely I made a mistake getting this pup and I was fustratrated to say the least. I always said no bite and gave him something else to put in his mouth. Himalayan yak bones were great. Usually I held them and let him chew. When they get to where they can be swallowed, you can micro wave them and they puff up like a cheat puff. After cooling they can eat them up further. I have scars on my arms and many a torn tee shirt. One day he must have lost about 6 baby teeth , the following day more. After that it all got better. Still needed corrected but it was better. Today at 3 he has a very soft mouth and never puts it on a human. It will take time and crate him off when the kids play and he gets too wild. Puppies often act like toddlers when they haven't had their nap.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Quite normal behavior. I had many a dogs in my lifetime and my standard was the worse. I often said to myself that surely I made a mistake getting this pup and I was fustratrated to say the least. I always said no bite and gave him something else to put in his mouth. Himalayan yak bones were great. Usually I held them and let him chew. When they get to where they can be swallowed, you can micro wave them and they puff up like a cheat puff. After cooling they can eat them up further. I have scars on my arms and many a torn tee shirt. One day he must have lost about 6 baby teeth , the following day more. After that it all got better. Still needed corrected but it was better. Today at 3 he has a very soft mouth and never puts it on a human. It will take time and crate him off when the kids play and he gets too wild. Puppies often act like toddlers when they haven't had their nap.
Thanks so much! Yes we have started putting him in the x pen when he gets crazy and he naps in there.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, it's totally normal. The land shark phase is what drives many new puppy owners to Poodle Forum, LOL. We've all been there!
It will improve over time, but of course managing both the kids and the puppy with produce a better outcome faster. There are many threads with advice. Welcome and happy browsing.
Thank you!

Registered
Our puppy is also a spoo and 11 weeks.... Same struggles! I've started leaping over the baby gate I to the other room when Noodle nips. The kids aren't as good about it though. They get upset she is doing it but want her to magically stop without changing their behavior (like my daughter wears a long flappy nightgown. Flappy nightgowns are Noodle's favorite thing to bite.)

Premium Member
SueNoodle this sounds like a teachable moment for baby dogs and baby people. You are the person with the big girl panties, not your kids. I would spend time in getting your kids on board with training your pup, including putting the flappy nightgowns away for a while.

Reactions: Starla

Registered
Our puppy is also a spoo and 11 weeks.... Same struggles! I've started leaping over the baby gate I to the other room when Noodle nips. The kids aren't as good about it though. They get upset she is doing it but want her to magically stop without changing their behavior (like my daughter wears a long flappy nightgown. Flappy nightgowns are Noodle's favorite thing to bite.)
The challenge with getting kids to change their behavior is so real! Our puppy is almost 7 months and was doing so, so well until (I think) a disruption in her routine/teenage boundary testing has caused the bitey-ness to resurge. We did put the tempting furry slippers away, back when Oona was in the stage yours is now. Right now our struggle is with getting the child to manage her own impulse control in order to help the puppy succeed and also managing household chaos/transitions so one of the adults can be there to get out in front of the naughty puppy thing she's about to do. It's tough!

Premium Member
Yes it does. I did not mean to suggest it was easy for any concerned, but we grown ups do have to take charge and be patient.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts