Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were in a good routine for many weeks where Noodle would sleep from 9:30 to about 5. But for the past few weeks he wakes up at 1am to 2am to go to the bathroom. He really seems like he has to go, he goes almost immediately and quite a bit. He is crated and doesn't cry or whine, just snuffles about. I tried once to see if he'd just go back to sleep. It was our only crate accident. I can't figure out where his ability to hold it went. We are still taking away water and food 2 hours before bed.

Could this be just a weird phase? It isn't the worst temporarily. But we'd obviously like to sleep a little better. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
How old is Noodle ? Sleeping from 9pm to 5 am for an 8-10 week old puppy is rather extreme. Puppies I’ve had would wake up around 1-2 am and be good until 5 am.

I would extend his bedtime to 11 pm if you can, or as late as possible, and hopefully he can sleep later in the night. But waking up at 2 am until he matures a bit is perfectly normal. We humans have to sacrifice sleep for a while!

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I would think that, maybe, he is also playing longer and harder during the day and evening meaning he drinks a lot more water during the day. Is he also peeing more during the day? About a year ago, at 5 years old, Zeke started drinking much more than normal, and subsequently urinating more often. I thought he might have diabetes and had bloodwork done, and all was fine. I couldn’t think of what had changed. I also switched treats about the same time, and apparently they just made him thirsty. I no longer use those and he is back to a “normal” amount of water for him. Try to think of everything that has changed recently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
If you're withholding water, is it possible he's drinking more when it's available to him, to compensate? Have you noticed him going through more water during the day than usual?

I do believe sleep regression is a thing for pups, too, so maybe he's just waking up in the middle of the night, and once he's up he's gotta go! It can be hard to fall back to sleep with a full bladder. (I can relate to this!)

Peggy just turned 15 weeks and is still sleeping through the night. (Knock on wood!) We don't withhold water, but we do cover the top and all but one side of her crate with a black blanket to limit any sleep disruptions.

·
Super Moderator
5,172 Posts
Oh! I also read somewhere that they start getting more attached around this age and can get anxious when separated from us at night. Does Noodle sleep in your room with you? If not, maybe that's something you could try. Or at least putting him somewhere he can see and/or hear you.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is crated in our room at night. I'll have to keep my eye on drinking during the day. But it could be a sleep regression. Duh. Don't know why that hadn't occurred to me. I know my kids have them during certain developmental phases. In fact, lucky for me, my daughter is having one now. She'd love to be the one getting up with Noodle...

·
Registered
6,909 Posts
He is crated in our room at night. I'll have to keep my eye on drinking during the day. But it could be a sleep regression. Duh. Don't know why that hadn't occurred to me. I know my kids have them during certain developmental phases. In fact, lucky for me, my daughter is having one now. She'd love to be the one getting up with Noodle...
Don’t worry, it’s just normal development. It won’t last long. I sympathize with you. Hang in there, you won’t remember you even wrote this post in just a few months...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts