Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ideas for crate training? Leah is doing fine. No problem. Mocha does good during the day. But not at night. My husband says he has slept on the floor the past 2 nights :( we take them out at 1030 and they play and then go down by 1130. I put a t-shirt in of mine and that helped one night. But isnt working now. He says mocha whines and so he takes her mocha out to potty. Brings her in she goes to her crate and he goes to the couch. She cries for 15mins. And then he moves down to the floor. He says that he tries to move away after 10/15 mins but she whines again :(

·
Registered
474 Posts
Have u tried the heartbeat dog? I know when we had dogs that didn't like being alone, we'd put one of those in their crate with them and it helped a lot. They're a little pricey ($40ish) but worth it.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I would say she needs some tough love. A young puppy will self soothe relatively quickly and stop crying. Teach her that it's only when she stops crying that she gets what she wants. Puppies learn quickly and are very manipulative.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Yep. All it takes is responding once to a whine to teach these smartie poodles how to get what they want. The key to efficiently reversing this training now is not to let Mocha cry it out, but to reward calm. Right now the opposite is happening: She whines and she gets let outside. She calms and your husband moves away.

So for a few days, I'd try the opposite.

I assume she's not only being crated at night? Daytime is the best time for practise, since the humans aren't exhausted and can turn it into a bit of a game.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts