Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Nickel's fecal lab result came back: Positive for Giardia.

His vet puts him on Panacur for 3 days. And then another 3-day treatment two weeks after.

So these are what I have done (or will do). Please let me know if I'm on the right track or not.

1. Notified the breeder; he might want to treat his pack.
2. Vacuumed carpeted rooms and will do so every other day until his next fecal exam comes back as clear.
3. Cleaned other hardwood surface with bleach solution and will continue to do so every 2 days until his next clear fecal exam.
4. Steam-cleaned the couch that Nickel had sat on and will refrain him from getting onto furniture for the time being.
5. Will continue to wash hands after handling him.
6. Will continue to remove his fecal matters right after.
7. Wiped down his crate with bleach solution.
8. Clean his water and food bowl more often.
9. Trimmed the hair near his bottom. Continue to wipe every time after he's done his business and, as instructed by the vet, give him a butt bath every night.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
STRESS is the main reason some of these new pups get sick....its NOT giardia or worms or all this other stuff that everyone stresses out about. Yes, there might be a hidden worm in the intestines that wasn't destroyed by the earlier rounds of worming.....but this is often normal. Yes you have to stop it but its normal shedding of the lining of the gut caused by stress.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I'm positive stress is Glader's problem. He was getting better till I bathed and dried him the other day. It immediately got worse again. :rolffleyes:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is not showing any symptoms except for the blood in his stool for the first two days. Other than that, he has been very active and alert. I totally understand that stress explains why he's not been eating as much as he used to eat when he was with his mother/littermate … But his fecal exam, which was part of the initial puppy checkup, shows that he's positive with Giardia. I just don't understand how 'stress' can explain a positive fecal exam.

I know it's treatable but at the same time it can be easily reinfected, hence all the cleaning.

·
Registered
207 Posts
He is not showing any symptoms except for the blood in his stool for the first two days. Other than that, he has been very active and alert. I totally understand that stress explains why he's not been eating as much as he used to eat when he was with his mother/littermate … But his fecal exam, which was part of the initial puppy checkup, shows that he's positive with Giardia. I just don't understand how 'stress' can explain a positive fecal exam.

I know it's treatable but at the same time it can be easily reinfected, hence all the cleaning.
That was I was thinking.. a postive fecal means a positive fecal- right?
It does sound like you are doing everything possible.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Sorry to hear Nickel has giardia. The good news is it's fairly easily treatable, and sounds like your guy is not suffering too many ill effects from it. You have definitely done all the right things!

Our last litter went home with giardia, passed on from their mom. We just notified everyone who had one of the puppies once we knew from one of the owner's and paid for the meds. None of them suffered any ill effects (they are now 7 years old). :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts