Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm thinking about switching my two poodles, Vontae and Shilo, to an oral tick/flea medication like Nexgard or Bravecto. They're currently on Advantix, but I feel like its efficacy starts to wear off sooner than the 1-month period that it's supposed to last, probably because the two of them swim daily when weather allows (I would estimate we're in the water 120 days out of the year).

From my research here on PF, it seems both Nexgard and Bravecto are safe and effective, despite some of the horror stories I've read elsewhere. But I Would love to hear from more people who have used one or both of these medications long-term, in terms of their safety and effectiveness.

I assume having dogs that swim a lot would be a good reason to switch away from topical stuff like Advantix and Frontline? Vontae is a 6-year-old, 15 lb mini, and Shilo is a 18-month-old, 20 lb moyen.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

·
Registered
24 Posts
So a few caveats-- I'm not a vet, vet tech, breeder, trainer, or anything but a dog owner/lover.
Also, the dog I use this on isn't a poodle or a poodle mix of any sort; she's a 55-pound (ish) Boxer/GSD with a splash of husky, so this also isn't a breed-specific recommendation.

I switched mine away from topical applications because the box warnings that it's toxic to the other species between my dog and my cat, and they love to groom each other. I had to separate them once a month and then kept being afraid of what if it dripped somewhere when I put it one, what if my dog's non-absorbant coat managed to keep drops on it and my cat licked them off, etc. I'm pretty over the top in worry on this likely but I switched to an oral (Nexguard) after a chat with my vet that involved a lot of "AWW!" over the snuggly grooming my critters do so nicely.

My dog has yet to show any flea/tick problems and I examine her pretty thoroughly for it after we visit my parents and go on the bike path and the trail around the pond near them. Mind, she'd never had problems before switching either (Frontline type products).

I also had her on Bravecto once since she was doing an elimination diet and the monthly Nexguard would've messed it up, but there's Bravecto that lasts 3 months. Again, all seemed fine and she had no issues. Her delicate stomach didn't react poorly to one or the other.

Caveats:
-I've only used them for about a year combined (9 months of Nexguard with a 3-month Bravecto for her diet trial)
-Storm hates swimming, but adores rain so she gets wet plenty but nothing like yours.
-She's not a poodle
-She's roughly three times the size of yours
-I switched for different reasons and as I never experienced a problem with the topical applications, I may not be a good comparison.

But no horror stories here, good experience, and since my pup's on a very strict diet this is pretty much the only non-kibble treat she gets and she's absolutely crazy about the chews, which is always a plus as someone who had to do a pill popper and Heartgard tablets during the diet trial!

Happy to answer any questions if it looks like I might be able to tell you anything not mentioned.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
We use Nexgard without issues, though usually only for 6 or so months a year. We luckily don’t have issues with fleas so it’s just for ticks in the warmer weather or if we’re at the coast. Never had a reaction (of course Rory is a lot bigger than your boys too!).

·
Premium Member
4,099 Posts
H - I have used Bravecto for over 2 years with no problesm. Never seen a tick or flea on Asta. The 3 months dosage is great. I use it all year as we have a big flea and tick problems in the south. I would recommend.

·
Registered
932 Posts
I’ve used nexgard year round on a spoo and beagle-X for nearly 4 years with no ill effects. I went away from using a topical as our area had resistant fleas. It also was a problem with a longer poodle coat. I use it year round because of the possibility of being exposed to dogs with fleas at dog shows. (I’ve had 2 flea infestations, pre-poodle, and it is not a pleasant situation to recover from.)

My beagley girl doesn’t like the taste—I keep elevating the mixer; braunschweiger last month. I chop it into small pieces and mask with peanut butter for the spoo, who isn’t as fussy. I also use heartgard, seasonally, which both dogs gobble down.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for all the responses! Looks like I'll be making the switch to oral medication.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
We have had our cairn terrier on Nexgard for 7 11/2 years. No fleas no problems. Our boxer has been on for 5 years, my daughter is switching him to Bravest, only because its only 3 months as opposed to monthly, she says its easier to remember. (I'm not so sure). And Renn the poodle is on Nexgard. He will be 2 in Dec.
I also have indoor long haired cats, who would occasionally pick up fleas even though they never went outside, since the dogs have been on Nexgard they too have been flea free. So for us it works. I don't like the one you put on their back as I always ended up with it on me.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again! One more question if I may: Can I start Vontae and Shilo on Bravecto or Nexgard now, even though it hasn't been 30 days since they last used Advantix? Or is the wait not necessary?

Kevin

·
Registered
336 Posts
Kchen95, I would personally wait until the Advantix fully out of their system after the 30 days!! You do not want to over expose them to chemicals or cause any reactions.

I would be extra safe to call and ask your vet!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts